U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,651,043 times

Advertisements

Prion proteins.
"'On the face of it, you have exactly the same process of mutation and adaptive change in prions as you see in viruses. This means that this pattern of Darwinian evolution appears to be universally active.'"

"In viruses, mutation is linked to changes in nucleic acid sequence that leads to resistance.

"Now, this adaptability has moved one level down- to prions and protein folding - and it's clear that you do not need nucleic acid (DNA or RNA) for the process of evolution."
Healthwise, "abnormal prion proteins multiply by converting normal prion proteins." It appears to scientists that "it would be better to cut off that supply of normal prion proteins rather than risk the abnormal prion adapting to a drug and evolving into a new more virulent form.

"'You would do this by trying to block the sites on the normal prion protein that the abnormal form locks on to to do its conversion.'"

A mouse antibody and a human antibody exist that can "do this."

BBC News - 'Lifeless' prion proteins are 'capable of evolution'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,506,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Prion proteins.
"'On the face of it, you have exactly the same process of mutation and adaptive change in prions as you see in viruses. This means that this pattern of Darwinian evolution appears to be universally active.'"

"In viruses, mutation is linked to changes in nucleic acid sequence that leads to resistance.

"Now, this adaptability has moved one level down- to prions and protein folding - and it's clear that you do not need nucleic acid (DNA or RNA) for the process of evolution."
Healthwise, "abnormal prion proteins multiply by converting normal prion proteins." It appears to scientists that "it would be better to cut off that supply of normal prion proteins rather than risk the abnormal prion adapting to a drug and evolving into a new more virulent form.

"'You would do this by trying to block the sites on the normal prion protein that the abnormal form locks on to to do its conversion.'"

A mouse antibody and a human antibody exist that can "do this."

BBC News - 'Lifeless' prion proteins are 'capable of evolution'
OK, OK! I believe in evolution...but you know me, reading that made my head hurt!

(Besides, I had that figured out a long time ago...no, really...honest)

Old 01-06-2010, 08:29 PM

7,169 posts, read 6,442,130 times
someone posted on another thread that creation and evolution go hand in hand. i'll go with that. one follows the other

Old 01-15-2010, 06:37 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,652,036 times
This could be the missing link between plant and animals.

I've read that life began in the water and this hybrid lives in an aquatic environment. And now we have news of this unique creature (though since we barely have explored the oceans this might not be so unique).

The sheer diversity of life itself is just amazing.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:06 PM

5,027 posts, read 5,524,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
someone posted on another thread that creation and evolution go hand in hand. i'll go with that. one follows the other
No, they don't go "hand in hand." Evolution is a fact - it just goes on its own power. Creation is a man-made fairy tale that hitchhikes on the back of evolution.

Seriously, there's no reason for an intelligent person to bend and twist and rationalize just so a creation myth can be crammed into one's understanding of the world. Sensible peolple don't need it.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:58 AM

331 posts, read 444,364 times
Hmmmm.... Lifeless, like a fetus? Or, should I call it by its real name: a human child?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,300,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
Hmmmm.... Lifeless, like a fetus? Or, should I call it by its real name: a human child?
Your mind is wandering.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:09 AM

331 posts, read 444,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Your mind is wandering.
Ehh, I think not. A fetus is lifeless, just like the prion proteins, right?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 AM

8,743 posts, read 10,244,333 times
Quote:
Spot on. 100 percent correct.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:18 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,300,577 times
Quote:
Put down the bong. The subject is evolutionary biology, not abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or