U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:22 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,972,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Can't go bowhunting or trapping in France, no thanks!
Actually you can do both . Hunting is huge in France. As is fishing. Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:15 AM

3,704 posts, read 4,260,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Those lists are a joke,nobody but the naive take them seriously...

They are like the camel produced by a commitee to design a horse...

The best place is definitely USA,from every aspect...
I wouldn't say best in every aspect, but the USA does certainly have a lot going for it. Despite what its detractors might say.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:22 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times
If I win the megamonsterlottery I guess Normandy in the summer and Mediterranean coast in the winter might be really niece. Then so would New Hampshire in the summer and New Zealand in the winter.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,759,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I always wonder if people who visit France only go to Paris, where the big-city snob attitude that would be the same in NYC, London, ect. is why the French get such a bad rap? Or the people the same in other parts of the country?
This is soooo true.
I spend a lot of time in France, it's one of my favorite countries and not that far away by car.
The French are lovely, they have great food, fromage, wines, even decent beers; the countryside in the mountains is beautiful; Dijon, Champagne, Limousine are great fun to visit.

Big cities are all the same: London, New York, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Cairo, Istanbul... they're big cities and with it comes big city terseness.
I don't seem to have many problems in any of these places, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
It's sad to read the testemonials of Americans that hate America! Why suffer? For those of you that think France is the place to be, especially to avoid people that believe in God, people that enjoy the freedom to bear arms, and people that believe differently than you (because in the USA we have that freedom) go on and pack your bags! Enjoy your wine, cheese, art, muslim extremists, and wellfare gone wild. Just don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!
Where did anyone say that they hated the US?
Your jingoistic attitude is simply that - yours.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,759,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Yep, the best health care service in the world ... unless it gets hot.
I was living in Europe in 2003 when that happened.
There was an unprecedented heat wave in a temperate zone.
You tell me what they could do; Europeans don’t have air conditioning.

What about people dying from cold in the US? Same stupid argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I can get French wines and cheeses at Trader Joes. No need to move to France.
You do know that Trader Joes is owned by a German, the Aldi brother who owns Aldi Nord.
And trust me, if you’re buying your cheeses at TJs, you’re not enjoying some of the excellent fromage the we do.

BTW, do any of you realize that France and Spain are the largest of the mainland European countries?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,512,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Yep, the best health care service in the world ... unless it gets hot.
Yup, the US has got the best health care service in the world ....until ya get sick.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 AM

339 posts, read 272,217 times
Wohoo, third!

But in all honesty, I don't quite get why Switzerland scores this high on that list. I like it here, of course, but to claim that it's the third best country to live in...

Come to think of it, I don't understand how a ranking like this could claim any kind of legitimacy. There are positives and negatives everywhere, it depends on what you want in your life, and what you make of it.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 AM

19,498 posts, read 20,840,695 times
I volunteer to spend the next five years in Provence and report back to the Forum on whether it is, indeed, better than the USA, specifically the Pacific Northwest, where it has been raining and cold for the past seven months or so.

My only condition is that the Forum fund this important research project.

D'accord?

Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,972,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
Wohoo, third!

But in all honesty, I don't quite get why Switzerland scores this high on that list. I like it here, of course, but to claim that it's the third best country to live in...

Come to think of it, I don't understand how a ranking like this could claim any kind of legitimacy. There are positives and negatives everywhere, it depends on what you want in your life, and what you make of it.
I completely agree. What is it with people and best, worst, biggest, smallest etc... ???

I'm French and I love France , I also hate many aspects of it. I love America and the UK and ditto as per France. Why is it that everyone always has to quantify everything. Aren't we a little old for "who can pee the highest"??

Come on people grow up. Nowhere is perfect. Not even the US. Neither is France. There is no "best" country. Everything depends on what you want in life and what you make of it. Not everyone is the same.

Best is always going to be a relative term. So is worst, especially in Western Countries where we share many of the same advantages as well as social ills. America really is not that different to France whether anyone wants to believe that or not. We have a lot more in common than not.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:07 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times
Yeledaf - I'll go along and take notes on how global warming is effecting France. BTW - aren't half the French population Female? There is a great topic for your (our) research project. Now to get someone to fund this adventure. History or Weather Channels maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies