Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,290,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
Dumbest thread eevveerrr.

Also, don't feed the trolls.
No, this is not a dumb thread. Blacks commit approximately 50% of the violent crime in this country but are only 12 or 13 percent of the population. That is an extremely high rate of violent crime and it's way out of line. This is a real problem and it's a legitimate topic for conversation. It should be discussed. If we keep hiding from the problem and keep pretending that it doesn't exist nothing will ever get done about it.

Poverty as some suggest is a contributing factor. However, there are more poor white people in this country than there are poor black people so crime is obviously not the reason.

However, it should be noted that most blacks do not commit violent crime. There is a certain segment of the black community that is basically disfunctional. Poverty and crime are two of the social pathologies that exist in this segment of the black population. A high illegitimacy rate, low academic achievement and high rates of AIDS and other STDs are also social pathologies that exist.

Many blacks are reluctant to admit this because they don't want to get painted with the same brush and we have to be careful not to do that. We need the help of everyone, black, white and otherwise, to solve this problem.

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 PM

789 posts, read 1,519,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
No, this is not a dumb thread. Blacks commit approximately 50% of the violent crime in this country but are only 12 or 13 percent of the population. That is an extremely high rate of violent crime and it's way out of line. This is a real problem and it's a legitimate topic for conversation. It should be discussed. If we keep hiding from the problem and keep pretending that it doesn't exist nothing will ever get done about it.

Poverty as some suggest is a contributing factor. However, there are more poor white people in this country than there are poor black people so crime is obviously not the reason.

However, it should be noted that most blacks do not commit violent crime. There is a certain segment of the black community that is basically disfunctional. Poverty and crime are two of the social pathologies that exist in this segment of the black population. A high illegitimacy rate, low academic achievement and high rates of AIDS and other STDs are also social pathologies that exist.

Many blacks are reluctant to admit this because they don't want to get painted with the same brush and we have to be careful not to do that. We need the help of everyone, black, white and otherwise, to solve this problem.

- Reel

You win, haha.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,753,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Well if it was in our blood, why during slavery time did we not have high murder rates?
I don't believe it's in anyone's blood, I find that to be a racist sentiment with no valid basis. I said some say it, but I'm not one of them. My point is that if the OP is going to group minorities together to ask "why minorities commit so much crime", he should realize that there are plenty of people who don't think he's in any way outside of that group. In other words, he's making a racist remark against himself, so why is he asking others when he should be asking himself?

Old 01-08-2010, 05:51 PM

789 posts, read 1,519,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I don't believe it's in anyone's blood, I find that to be a racist sentiment with no valid basis. I said some say it, but I'm not one of them. My point is that if the OP is going to group minorities together to ask "why minorities commit so much crime", he should realize that there are plenty of people who don't think he's in any way outside of that group. In other words, he's making a racist remark against himself, so why is he asking others when he should be asking himself?

LOL. Nice one.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:03 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,622,952 times
really? what proof do you have? do they also commit that much crime in areas where they are the minority? such garbage and generalizations!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post

- Reel

Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

really? Yes.

what proof do you have? Department of Justice web site - Crime statistics.

do they also commit that much crime in areas where they are the minority? I don't get this question.

such garbage and generalizations!!! What is the generalization that you speak of? In 2008 blacks and whites committed approximately the same number of murders. Blacks are 12 or 13 percent of the population.

Is this just a knee jerk reaction or something?

- Reel

Old 01-08-2010, 07:31 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,369,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Okay! I get what you guys are saying.

My husband works with a guy from Guatemala (hope I spelled that correctly) and even they do not like Mexicans. So, I see what you're getting at.
Right when my Sons were in H.S. they had a very good friend from GUATEMALA, your correct, he did not want to associate with the Mexicans in any way, why is that, he is still although much older now, pretty much the same in his thinking. Can't figure.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,668,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Right when my Sons were in H.S. they had a very good friend from GUATEMALA, your correct, he did not want to associate with the Mexicans in any way, why is that, he is still although much older now, pretty much the same in his thinking. Can't figure.

From what I understand, my husbands coworker thinks they are lazy, other than that I don't know for sure.
The man is a good man. He works hard, he loves his family. goes to church, and reads his Bible at lunch. My husband says that he has scars on his body and looks like he has a really hard life.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,497,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
The first four words shows that he/she is a minority. Why would he/she be bashing himself?
Yeah, but a minority in Minnesota is a German as opposed to a Swede.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:48 AM

103 posts, read 232,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this is such a basic, simplistic, ignorant way of looking at things.

are you trying to tell me that in areas that are all white, there is no murder or crime?

your whole post is a fail. enough said.
Three of those murders in Minneapolis occurred at the same place - a grocery store in a Somali section of town. These were not four separate, disparate murders.

Also, in 2009, Minneapolis had a total of 19 murders, which is pretty good for a city that size. Des Moines had, what, six murders, in 2009, for its size, which is probably about the same murder rate compared to Minneapolis for its size. (Has to be - six times three is 18).

Des Moines would never be for me. Too white. Too insular. I'm done with Midwest living. My return to Albuquerque has been good. I have a job starting in a week, a nice home to live in in a nice neighborhood (no it's not in the ballyhooed Northeast Heights), and I focus on what I can influence and not get all caught up in the so-called cultural atmosphere of murder rates, crime, and whose committing them. Crime is everywhere, and more homogeneous cities, like Des Moines in white Iowa, will certainly have less crime, better school statistics since they don't have to teach to a variety of students coming from different backgrounds. I saw this in Minnesota for years - complaints from white families who said the schools were great until the immigrants moved in and they didn't want their own children too suffer. Well, then they should have paid for them to go to a private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies