Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times

Advertisements

I am a minority and I just recently moved from Minneapolis, MN, a "diverse" city to Des Moines, IA, a not so diverse city and the difference is staggering!

Minneapolis is about three times the size of Des Moines but they had 4 murders so far in 2010, all involving minorities. Des Moines had 6 murders in 2009 and everybody involved was prosecuted.

Honestly, this was one of the best moves I could have made and I am happy to live in a city where most people respect each other and really care about their community. I still don't understand why minorities commit so much crime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Be honest here, by "minorities" you mean blacks and Latinos and maybe immigrant whites. I doubt you are referring to Asians and Jews with this post.

Now, why is the murder rate higher among minorities (as both perpetrators and victims)? Higher rates of poverty, "macho" culture, strong gang influence, distrust of the police, and higher unemployment (this is related to, but distinct from poverty in general).

Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
I would guess that the poor commit a disproportionate amount of crime. And minorities make up a disproportionate fraction of the poor.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:44 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am a minority and I just recently moved from Minneapolis, MN, a "diverse" city to Des Moines, IA, a not so diverse city and the difference is staggering!

Minneapolis is about three times the size of Des Moines but they had 4 murders so far in 2010, all involving minorities. Des Moines had 6 murders in 2009 and everybody involved was prosecuted.

Honestly, this was one of the best moves I could have made and I am happy to live in a city where most people respect each other and really care about their community. I still don't understand why minorities commit so much crime!

i'm not a racist but..................

Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
Be honest here, by "minorities" you mean blacks and Latinos and maybe immigrant whites. I doubt you are referring to Asians and Jews with this post.
Quote:
i'm not a racist but..................
The first four words shows that he/she is a minority. Why would he/she be bashing himself?
Quote:

Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I would guess that the poor commit a disproportionate amount of crime. And minorities make up a disproportionate fraction of the poor.
I have been to places like Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia where people are really poor and I don't think that would be a justification, crime is still very low

Here in Des Moines, we have a very strong economy, very low unemployment and Iowans were being accused of being "racist" because the incarceration rate for blacks here is 24% and Blacks are only 2.5% of the population.

DUH! If you do crime, you go to jail, how is that racist?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
The first four words shows that he/she is a minority. Why would he/she be bashing himself?
Boompa was making fun of those first four words.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
I work with hispanic guys. Almost everyone of them could be considered racist. They do not care for el negroes very much - call them lazy.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:07 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
Quote:
Boompa was making fun of those first four words.
Okay! I get what you guys are saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I work with hispanic guys. Almost everyone of them could be considered racist. They do not care for el negroes very much - call them lazy.
My husband works with a guy from Guatemala (hope I spelled that correctly) and even they do not like Mexicans. So, I see what you're getting at.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Okay! I get what you guys are saying.

My husband works with a guy from Guatemala (hope I spelled that correctly) and even they do not like Mexicans. So, I see what you're getting at.
Yes. A lot of the central Americans I work with do not care for Mexicans. They think they're too uppity or something.

Here in SC, the the minorities certainly do not have a monopoly on crime. There are plenty of poor white people robbing and killing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies