Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times

Advertisements

She is just a victim of her ovaries. At least she got her 15 min of shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
It's NOT about sympathy! Duh!

It's about Medical Malpractice. If there is no written consent form signed by that woman for that procedure on file, then SOMEBODY IS IN TROUBLE.

Since it appears that a medical malpractice lawsuit has been filed, the answer to that question should be forthcoming very soon via discovery.

Interesting how you diverted the real issue of doctors performing the wrong surgery, or simply unauthorized surgery/procedure, on someone into a story about a WOMAN who is on welfare and has had lots of children......and her morals or lack thereof. Nothing about the morals or incompetency of the doctors involved.
It goes beyond malpractice. If they did an unauthorized tubal ligation that was a battery. In addition to the civil liability the doctor should be prosecuted and lose his license.

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Nothing about the morals or incompetency of the doctors involved.
Even if it comes to light that they knew what they were doing in sterilizing a welfare-sucking breeder, I'd have no porblem with their moral decision. From a legal standpoint, perhaps, but morally I think it's ok.

"Just because it's legal doesn't always make it right, and just because it's illegal doesn't always make it wrong."

507 posts, read 678,559 times
Some people here are acting as though involuntary sterilization is the only way to prevent this woman from continuing to having children that she cannot provide for. If this woman did not consent to having this procedure, I don't care if this woman had 20 children, this procedure never should have been done. The doctor had no right to make such a decision for this her.

If people are truly concerned for her children, call Child Protective Services and get them involved. That doctor stepped way over the line.

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Then I'll respond by saying you're comparing apples and oranges. Make a fair comparison and we can continue.
What does that mean? You responded with a nonanswer to a speculation about whether this likely would have happened if she'd been financially sound.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
That would be the type of person who takes some personal responsibility for their life - which she obviously does not. Much easier to just suck at the public teat!
Where is the LIST of actions considered "personal responsibility" and who decides what those actions are?

Would the physician who performed this procedure on that woman be someone who also did not assume "personal responsibility" when he/she sterilized the woman without her consent??

If there was a consent, then it is the responsiblity of the doctor/hospital, defendants, to PRODUCE THE CONSENT FORM.

Easy to judge what is personal responsiblity for other people when you are not in their shoes, isn't it, WorkinHard?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
Some people here are acting as though involuntary sterilization is the only way to prevent this woman from continuing to having children that she cannot provide for. If this woman did not consent to having this procedure, I don't care if this woman had 20 children, this procedure never should have been done. The doctor had no right to make such a decision for this her.

If people are truly concerned for her children, call Child Protective Services and get them involved. That doctor stepped way over the line.
AMEN!!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Even if it comes to light that they knew what they were doing in sterilizing a welfare-sucking breeder, I'd have no porblem with their moral decision. From a legal standpoint, perhaps, but morally I think it's ok.

"Just because it's legal doesn't always make it right, and just because it's illegal doesn't always make it wrong."
All I can say is thank god that we have more intelligent people with better educations than you writing laws and working as judges.

You didn't give credit when you posted the quote above. Who said that?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
No, the "real question" is the one I asked, not a "what if" scenario.
So in your 'what if' scenario the choice is only nine births versus nine abortions? OK --- obviously I wouldn't like that nor would I condone that (and for the record, I also don't condone a tubal ligation performed without consent).
But does personal responsibility have anything to do with personal freedoms anymore? Why the great disconnect between the two?

And finally delusianne -- do you agree with the womans lifestyle and the choices she made?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
There is a thread on this in the Parenting forum. If the hospital really did do this w/o her permission, then, yes, it is wrong. However, I don't believe her story. It doesn't make sense. I think she found out the hospital lost her consent form and saw an opportunity for a lawsuit. the story that is posted with the other thread goes into more detail about the IUD, and it just doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies