Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,383,846 times

Advertisements

Amtrak does not serve the whole country. It is ridiculous to give money to a failing system like
Amtrak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,485,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
What ever happened to the proposed semi-national rail system?

I just looked as this -

Can somebody please tell me why Phoenix, Denver (once a major railroad hub and still has ample trackage), Salt Lake City and Albuquerque aren't included in this project? And how difficult would it be to connect Tulsa to Kansas City (like U.S. Route 75)?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,383,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
I just looked as this -

Can somebody please tell me why Phoenix, Denver (once a major railroad hub and still has ample trackage), Salt Lake City and Albuquerque aren't included in this project? And how difficult would it be to connect Tulsa to Kansas City (like U.S. Route 75)?
Wild guess here..........politics?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 PM

63 posts, read 36,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Hack, as it were, through the smarmy politician-speak in this editorial and you'll come to these two valuable paragraphs.

"Support for Amtrak must be strong--not because it is a cherished American institution, which it is--but because it is a powerful and indispensable way to carry us all into a leaner, cleaner, greener 21st century.

"Consider that if you shut down Amtrak's Northeast Corridor, it is estimated that to compensate for the loss, you'd have to add seven new lanes of highway to Interstate 95. When you consider that it costs an average of $30 million for one linear mile of one lane of highway, you see what a sound investment rail travel is. And that's before you factor in the environmental benefits of keeping millions and millions of cars off the road."

Joe Biden: Why America Needs Trains

I dont know what talk there is of closing Amtrak, but to me it's a bad idea, too.

Joe Biden: "Why America Needs Trains"
This is a bad idea, wanna know why? because Biden is a Democrat and we most oppose everything they say.
The party of: NO

/sarcasm

Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,769,029 times
Why must Amtrak be shut down?

Because until Amtrak charges a fee to its riders that would make it solvent for its operation than it needs to be shut down... I am not going to pay taxes so that CEOs of Amtrak can get their millions and not demand its riders pay their FAIR share to keep it operational... If Amtrak can't operate without tax dollars then there is something SERIOUSLY wrong... but then I guess some people are okay with corruption....

Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 PM

269 posts, read 294,373 times
It's a good idea, but it'll be a disaster if we end up making it nationalized and letting Amtrak manage it. I'd say the best thing is to let the government lay the track and let private companies supply the rest.

Of course, the issue of eminent domain could crop up.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:08 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,572,060 times
We certainly can't afford a expanded welfare queen like AmTrak.The systems need to pay for themslves by fairs;not be on the government welfare.Local high spped trainsit in some areas does make snese if its price3d to survive on its own;and is happening in many parts of the country already.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,769,029 times
Why should taxpayers "lay the tracks"?? Why should taxpayers pay for airport security? Shouldn't that be the airport or airlines' job? Why are taxpayers paying for PRIVATE business expenses? I don't ask the government to buy me stuff so I can sell it to you for a profit... I don't ask the government to go and perform services and then I collect the payment.... I don't ask the government to give me money so that I can sit back and roll in free money... why does anyone think the government should pay for the expenses of private business? Does the government pay the security guards at the mall? Does the government pay for the furniture in a furniture store? Why do people think the government should take my tax money and give it to private businesses so that their profits would be higher? Why do I want to make a CEO even richer with my tax money?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,591,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogemania View Post
An ideal target for the terrorists.
If the main reason we don't build trains is because of the threat from terrorists, then the terrorists have won.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,162,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Hack, as it were, through the smarmy politician-speak in this editorial and you'll come to these two valuable paragraphs.

"Support for Amtrak must be strong--not because it is a cherished American institution, which it is--but because it is a powerful and indispensable way to carry us all into a leaner, cleaner, greener 21st century.

"Consider that if you shut down Amtrak's Northeast Corridor, it is estimated that to compensate for the loss, you'd have to add seven new lanes of highway to Interstate 95. When you consider that it costs an average of $30 million for one linear mile of one lane of highway, you see what a sound investment rail travel is. And that's before you factor in the environmental benefits of keeping millions and millions of cars off the road."

Joe Biden: Why America Needs Trains

I dont know what talk there is of closing Amtrak, but to me it's a bad idea, too.
Did Joe ever mention the cost of building one mile of rail for high speed trains or even low speed ones? I think that we need some new lines going from coast to coast if we are to take enough cars off the roadways.

Also, what kind of power do the engines of today use, mostly. All of them that I see, running east to west, are diesels. Burning that filthy diesel fuel that most of our trucks burn and he wants more trains. Is there any chance that he doesn't realize the east coast isn't the only place that needs these things?

I forgot to say that those diesel engines, with 4 or more for each train, are really electric but they use diesel to generate the power. Building electric train routes for the whole 3000 miles and as many as it would take might turn out to be more expensive than we can afford with cap and trade, single payer health care, amnesty and all the other expensive things the progs in Congress want to get done before November.

Hey, girl, I understand about the necessity of all those rail facilities on the east coast and I also know that old Joe rode back and forth to work for all those years. He doesn't still do that since he has a palatial house to live in in DC, does he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies