Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times

Advertisements

Michael Steele to GOP Critics: "Get a Life" or "Fire Me."

Things are heating up in the GOP. Not really a bad thing; the GOP needs to internally detox and cleanse itself of it's buildup of toxic crud. Critics accuse Steele of being more concerned with with image than rebuilding the GOP.

Key words here, for me, are that people inside the GOP admit the GOP needs rebuilding, i.e., the GOP has fallen apart, is a shambles, etc. No kidding. Thank you Bush, Rove, DeLay, Cheney, Schmitt, Gramm, Palin, Armey, Dobson, Limbaugh et al, and the extreme religious right christo-fascists (or as I've said for years, the American Taliban). IMO, not one of those are classic fiscal-conservative and MYOB Republicans like Barry Goldwater. They are greedy carpet baggers, market riggers and hate mongers.

Steele was responding to a piece in the Washington Times (owned by Korean religious figure Rev Moon) where some prominent GOP donors stated they were withholding their financial support of the party.

There seems to be ire in the GOP that Steele published a book and may be making a buck off of it. Is it hypocritical that people in the GOP are acting shocked, shocked I say, that someone cashes in on their position and connections. Oh the horror. Faux outrage.

Myself, I think Steele's book "Right Now: A 12-Step Program for Defeating the Obama Agenda" is thoroughly off the mark. It's NOT about Obama! The real issue is not HOW to defeat Obama but rather WHAT does the GOP stand for? WHAT is the GOP prescription for a bright future? More of same? More bible thumping? More gay hating? More millionaire pigs slopping at the U. S. Treasury? More tax cuts for the wealthy? No health care for the working and middle classes?

Is the GOP totally clueless about their MASSIVE FAIL in the 2006 and 2008 elections? If it weren't for racism in certain parts of the nation, Obama would've carried even more states. He would've too if he were a white guy running against the inept clueless McCain/Palin ticket.

Steele's book, his critics, and his lashing out all point to one thing. The GOP is leaderless, has no coherent message, has no plan for restoring American greatness or prosperity, has no concept of how to fulfill the constitutional mandate for Liberty, Justice, Decency, the Common Welfare, the Pursuit of Happiness and much more. Right now it seems that for many years the GOP's only message or plan is yet more wealth for the top 2% that already own 43% of the wealth.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:45 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
The GOP is not clueless about the recent elections. Those who are clueless are those who believe things have changed. We are in an endless cycle of voter discontent with the party in control. The GOP got the blame for the bad economy last time. I think in 2010 we will see the Democrats lose total control of Congress. By 2011, voters will want another change, as the economy will not have turned around quickly enough, people will be really sick of the wars in Afganistan, Iraq and whereever else we have invaded by then. This is the cycle that has occurred, and will continue to occur.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
I wonder how much Steele's skin color had to do with getting his job. I don't see how he is a leader of the GOP. Who are his supporters?

Did the GOP put him in charge with the hope that he would make the party more attractive to non-whites? I don't think it's working.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
I think you're right on the mark in your assessment, Mike. Even when I think back over the last 50+ years, I'm stumped as to what major accomplishments and advancements to our country's welfare that the Republican agenda has been primarily responsible for, compared to that of Democrats.

The Berlin Wall coming down and the collapse of Communism in Russia were huge accomplishments under Republican leadership. And obviously there is a degree of benefit Americans get from those kinds of events. But what about American advancements?

Democrats were responsible for the Civil Rights Act, Equal Rights legislation, "The New Deal" that brought us out of the Great Depression, Social Security, Medicare for seniors, Space exploration, Environmental protection and the expansion of the National Parks Service, the Family & Medical Leave Act, and now the Equal Pay for Equal Work law passed under President Obama, just to name a few.

Under Republicans we got decades of scab-picking the Glass-Steagall Act until they had a veto-proof majority to ensure its overturning, hence, basically forcing Clinton's hand in signing it out of existence (though I do still hold him almost equally responsible ) and the friggin Patriot Act (and thanks for not fighting that harder, Democrats!). I'm sincerely at a loss to come up with a single thing the Republicans have done that has improved our nation even in the slightest. I'm certainly open to being reminded of some, but I'm doubtful the list would even come close to the major improvements shepherded by Democrats.

I'd say it's long past time that Republicans decided to be for something instead of against everything, and that includes real fiscal conservancy, which they have only really paid lip service to.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
It will be interesting how things play out, as the GOPer's have gone to a party of "Just say No, No, No" to the current administrations policies and not of coming up with any ideas of their own. Then they push forward the radical fringe groups to lead the charge against policies they don't like, which pushes away the moderate majority and impedes any other rational debate of policies. Nothing like associating a major public party to the tea parties (which are siphoning money off their constituents, and promote violence and intimidation at the health care rallies) and Storm Front.

It's my bet the only front runner is Sarah Palin, which is worse then sailing rudderless. She has a popular following of those who are dissatisfied, but has already boldly said that if you "Have money, are educated, don't belong to the same religious denomination as she does, don't follow her 100% on every issue, and work anything but a low wage job" you are unAmerican and evil. Driving pretty much all those categories away from any support of her or what she believes in, and any party that decides to attach her to it.

Anyway, it will be an interesting few years.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I wonder how much Steele's skin color had to do with getting his job. I don't see how he is a leader of the GOP. Who are his supporters?

Did the GOP put him in charge with the hope that he would make the party more attractive to non-whites? I don't think it's working.
I think his skin color had a lot to do with him getting the job. The Republicans thought it would be more acceptable to have a black man criticizing a black president, so he filled the bill. Maybe Steele is finally starting to talk for himself now that his book is out, instead of just delivering the party line.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:15 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Not much considering there was other black people up for the job

There is non whites in the party

Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I think his skin color had a lot to do with him getting the job. The Republicans thought it would be more acceptable to have a black man criticizing a black president, so he filled the bill. Maybe Steele is finally starting to talk for himself now that his book is out, instead of just delivering the party line.
Really then why didnt they give the job to the other black man that wanted it

Old 01-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Once again something made to be about race or racism

Old 01-07-2010, 01:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Really then why didnt they give the job to the other black man that wanted it
He dropped out and Steele picked up his votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies