Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times

Advertisements

I used to think that it was a good thing to increase the security in airports to try to catch terrorists but ever since 9/11 and the implementation of the Patriot Act it is obvious that the so called security measures being used today is more about harassing Americans than protecting them against terrorists. I've been searched once and it was totally degrading. I avoid air travel partly due to the possibility of having to go through it again.

The latest incidence with the underwear/crotch bomber where there were some OBVIOUS RED FLAGS that authorities missed to prevent the underwear bomber from ever boarding the plane such has not having a VISA AND not having a suitcase is proof that this is so.

Rather than harassing us and doing stupid random searches they should be screening people using watch lists etc and profiling like crazy. Leave the older Americans and kids alone. How many terrorists that are a real threat are over 60 or under 16? How many of them are women?

It would be so nice to return to the days where you didn't have to be at the airport an hour before a domestic flight leaves and didn't have to be treated like you are a suspected criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,352 times
Hear hear, flying simply is not fun anymore. When I was little I'd get excited to go fly somewhere, but nowadays I'd rather travel by pogo stick or doggy paddle. Seriously, damned psychopaths are ruining life in general.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:48 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Hear hear, flying simply is not fun anymore. When I was little I'd get excited to go fly somewhere, but nowadays I'd rather travel by pogo stick or doggy paddle. Seriously, damned psychopaths are ruining life in general.
LOL! Gotta love your screen name and I agree with you. I used to love to fly. Unfortunately there are still a lot of Americans who let the media and the government fill them with fear to the point that they are willing to give up MORE freedom in favor of so called "government protection". Now with this latest incident, hopefully people will see it hasn't worked. You aren't guaranteed better protection by giving up your privacy rights- so why bother?. All you are guaranteed is increased harassment.The government is too big. Homeland Security does a sloppy job and more invasive screening technologies will never in a million years fix dumb mistakes like what took place with the underwear bomber.

I just thought of something that might save us from all the stupid screening that we subject outselves to every time we fly. How about if the airlines simply cross referenced the terrorist list with your driver's license? If there isn't a match, they would issue you a safe flyer pass that was permanent that you could use for all air travel. As long as you had your pass you could bypass the stupid screenings and arrive 15 minutes before your flight left, like we used to in the good old days.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:51 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Big whoop, I gotta get to the airport a half an hour earlier. I travel at least once a month and it doesn't kill me.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:55 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Makes you want to take a train, but they are waaaay easier to sabotage. Bullet train. tanker filled with gasoline stalled on the tracks.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
It's a smalll price to pay for our pro-Israel, pro-oil, pro-Mideast dictator foreign policy so vital to our national interest.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:03 PM

283 posts, read 495,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I travel at least once a month and it doesn't kill me.
I wouldn't say that too loud.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:07 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Leave the older Americans and kids alone. How many terrorists that are a real threat are over 60 or under 16? How many of them are women?
While I might agree with you on the "profiling like crazy", I recall that women and children were shooting at American soldiers in Viet Nam. Also, having worked in international passenger Federal inspection at one time, I've seen average-looking middle-aged and even old women with suitcases and baby strollers lined with heroin and cocaine.

Profiling will certainly increase the chances you capture the evil-doers who cannot escape a profile but does little to assist in stopping those who do not fit any profile. This is why everyone is a suspect until proven innocent.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
The chances of me getting killed on an airplane are far, far, less than the chances of me being killed in my car on the way to the airport.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The chances of me getting killed on an airplane are far, far, less than the chances of me being killed in my car on the way to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies