Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I have one question since this is about the 5th time I have seen this as a thread. Please explain how this matters one way of the other, since it has zero to do with how people vote.
Casper
Did you see any othe threads which asked the question i did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Bascially you say 18% decribe themsleves as democrats ;then wander who they are?f you pay attention you will find that many people are conservativce democrats on amny thinks and many conservatives do not think of them,selves as republicans.Many in the tea party demonsrations are more populist and IMo growing evryday. they are tho moreike to vote republican than democrt in natioanl elctions. Then of course their are the independents that swing vote so often and have contolled the outcome of recent presidentail elctions. they tend to swing more often to the repubican side if you loo at recent elections.That is why Bill Clinton stuck to the miidle or slioghtly right in his elctions.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascially you say 18% decribe themsleves as democrats ;then wander who they are?f you pay attention you will find that many people are conservativce democrats on amny thinks and many conservatives do not think of them,selves as republicans.Many in the tea party demonsrations are more populist and IMo growing evryday. they are tho moreike to vote republican than democrt in natioanl elctions. Then of course their are the independents that swing vote so often and have contolled the outcome of recent presidentail elctions. they tend to swing more often to the repubican side if you loo at recent elections.
I think they also make a difference in local and state elections.
i agree there are democrats who are conservative but they are becoming rare

Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
the Gallup poll has an interesting trend line that i will ask for peoples opinions about
the Poll shows 40% of the country labels themselves as conservative
36 % as moderate
21 % as liberal
Conservatives Finish 2009 as No. 1 Ideological Group

compare that to a poll that i saw but can not find a link to. if anyone has the poll feel free to post it.
What I recall was 22 % of people labeled themselves as republican
and 18% as Democrats.
Those Numbers are from memory and cold be wrong.

My questions:
1)who are the 18 % who label themselves conservative who would not be republican?

2) Are some of that 18 % Dem's?

3) how will this block vote?

my opinions

1) that 18 percent is 2/3 former republican 1/3 democrats

2) yes

3) On a national vote I think the vast majority would vote Republican if there are only the two major parties to choose from.
I think if there is a tea party ,they would vote with them.
I think there would be enough of them to win a couple of states and that would mean no one would have won the electoral college. that would through the election to the house where Bethe controlling parties candidate would win.

On local and state elections I think this group would vote against an incumbent, wanting a change in tone. i think there is enough of them to be effective in doing that.

IMHO
When I'm polled I'm asked how do I identify myself politically: Democrat, Republican or Other (a fill in the blank). If I select Other and type in Conservative, a follow up question asks me if I tend to vote more with Republicans or Democrats. Not sure how Gallup does it.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:47 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I really believe conservatives and Republicans are become less synonymous by the day
Exactly. The Conservative vote is one part Republican, one part Libertarian, and one part moderate. On the other hand, the Liberal vote almost always goes democratic, and the remainder are moderates.

The majority of the conservative vote is being controlled by the Republican party. Which believes in a big government state, with "big brother" watching over us all. And believes democracy and Christianity need to be spread across the world by military power and economic coercion.

I am a little sickened everytime they try to legitimize our world empire and the "necessity" for pre-emptive war. It reminds me of the old 1984 saying "War is peace".

And somehow Americans are consistently pulled into this deranged pathology by the continuous brainwashing of people in the conservative media. Who attacks anyone who disagrees with them by saying they are unpatriotic.

"Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” - Herman Goering, Nazi Germany.

Conservative could be defined as a "traditionalist", that believes we should go back to the values this country was founded on. What can be more "traditional" than states rights and true libertarianism? Those were the real values this country was founded on.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-08-2010 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Quote:

Probably did.

Most of the libs here have read Alinsky's book Rules for Radicals on "How to control the subject"

Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
The first year of the obama administration has alarmed people. They don't like his policies now that they see them in action. By Nov 2010, that number may rise even more.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Between the Devil and the deep blue sea? Is there a third option that isn't completely nuts?
If you know of one bring it on!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
You aren't a Conservative if you accept Social Security or Medicare

Old 01-08-2010, 07:47 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Not exactly, and they looked more speculation than questions. Many Americans consider themselves fairly conservative when it comes to basic ideals and living, but once again I must remind you that considering yourself does not equate to voting Republican, as trhe last elections have proven. I shoudl probably also remind everyone that Republican does not equate to Conservative, especially these days. So who would be the third party, it sure as heck is not the teabaggers, the vast majority being Repubs. Maybe a better question would be to to define what a Conservative is, you might find there are many answers.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies