Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Actually, it's EXACTLY the same. Barry was the nickname BO grew up with, that's what people called him.
Not the same if you are a liberal apologist with the intended purpose of trying to blame Bush for everything while excusing Obama for everything.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:55 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post

While I agree both are meant to be disrespectful, "Dubya" earned that nick name because he came across as not very bright with barely a grasp on his native tongue. One would think that mastery of the English language would be a prerequisite to leader of the Free World. No one could ever accuse Obama of being dumb or lacking command of the English language.
No, that's not how the nickname "Dubya" came about. It's been his nickname, of his own choosing since he was a kid, and continues to use into adulthood. It distinguished him from his father, GHB, whereas he is GHWB.

Quote:
:

Actually, it's EXACTLY the same. Barry was the nickname BO grew up with, that's what people called him.
Wrong. It's entirely different, in that Barack Obama dropped that nickname 30 years ago.

And I'll repeat -- no one gives a rat's @%% if you call him Barry. But if you choose to do so, don't think you're fooling anyone that you're not being INTENTIONALLY disrespectful. You are. Quit playing dumb and innocent about it.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:02 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
No, that's not how the nickname "Dubya" came about. It's been his nickname, of his own choosing since he was a kid, and continues to use into adulthood. It distinguished him from his father, GHB, whereas he is GHWB.

Wrong. It's entirely different, in that Barack Obama dropped that nickname 30 years ago.

And I'll repeat -- no one gives a rat's @%% if you call him Barry. But if you choose to do so, don't think you're fooling anyone that you're not being INTENTIONALLY disrespectful. You are. Quit playing dumb and innocent about it.
I think you could use this.
Relaxation therapy - Drugs & Treatments - Revolution Health

FWIW, I don't call him Barry....I usually type BO or Obama....but he kinda looks like a Barry.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Oh bite me.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:19 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Oh bite me.
I see I was right. I have a knack.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:29 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
16 pages of people whining about calling someone Barry. Only on CD.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
No, it's NOT his name. His name is BARACK. Barry was a once-used NICKNAME, which he no longer uses.

You know this. And yet you persist. There can only be ONE reason that you refuse to refer to the man by the name he was GIVEN and his preferred name NOW.

It's disrespectful and your intent is to show your disrespect for the man.
Isn't the use of a nickname not the choice of the person spoken about, but more the choice of others around him/her? I don't think that anyone chooses their own nicknames ever. And I don't believe that Obama has ever asked anyone to NOT call him that.

And just because Obama is our president, it doesn't mean that we have to respect him. Even if he were our king, we don't have to bow to him. And certainly many of us didn't respect George W. Bush, and I doubt you cared about that.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Quote:
That's just retarded, as is anyone who would call a man named Michael, Mikey, if they knew he went by Michael. It's RUDE. Only RUDE people do that crap. Since I refer to my president by the name and honorific he has rightfully earned, your ridiculous allegation that I'm somehow ashamed of him is nothing short of absurd deflection. Grow up and get a damn life and show some respect for your president.
YOU need to get offline, out of citydata's politics forum and into the REAL WORLD. Somebody that has an active social life would know that friends, acquaintances and family often use nicknames for each other. In the REAL WORLD people call a Michael: Mike, Mikey ALL THE TIME. Though I guess if someone is so sensitive they cringe at the use Barry, they probably cringe at any real world social interaction.

Grow up. Grow a pair and get some real world social experience for Pete's sake.

Quote:
No, it's NOT his name. His name is BARACK. Barry was a once-used NICKNAME, which he no longer uses.

You know this. And yet you persist. There can only be ONE reason that you refuse to refer to the man by the name he was GIVEN and his preferred name NOW.

It's disrespectful and your intent is to show your disrespect for the man.
Barry. BArry. BARry. BARRy. BARRY. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYY.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Isn't the use of a nickname not the choice of the person spoken about, but more the choice of others around him/her? I don't think that anyone chooses their own nicknames ever. And I don't believe that Obama has ever asked anyone to NOT call him that.
No, it's not the case. I know many, many people who have specifically asked not to be called by certain nicknames. My sister Anne, for example, despises the nickname, 'Annie'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu

And just because Obama is our president, it doesn't mean that we have to respect him. Even if he were our king, we don't have to bow to him. And certainly many of us didn't respect George W. Bush, and I doubt you cared about that.
I have SAID THAT -- REPEATEDLY -- in this very thread. Why don't you people learn to f&$&*ing read already!?!?!?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
I find it interesting that how there is very little condemnation but a lot of spin and rationalizations about Reid's and Clinton's comment from self-claimed "liberals" and Obama supporters.

It is also curious that there was also not much counter arguments from this same group about the recent threads about test scores being dropped or having standards lowered to recruit blacks into the police force.

Surely this "educated" and "enlightened" group would know that there has been research done on the military that blacks, high standards and achievement are not mutually exclusive. Yet I saw little arguments to support this on those threads.

Likewise I have at times engaged in debates on CD over so-called "genetic racial traits and their mental and physical attributes". Once again very little input from the self-appointed liberal guard here at CD.

Yet call the Big O: Barry and shazam over 10 pages of liberal crying and whining. This reminds me of that Spike Lee film Do The Right Thing.

The family Lee's character works for services, employs and is cordial with blacks. One of the brothers is particularly interesting because he idolizes a basketball player (Magic if memory serves me correct) like many of the liberal guard on this thread does with Big O but also like many (but not necessarily all) "pro-diversity"and "multiculturally-sensitive" liberals in private refer to the rest of the blacks as those,.., well you get the idea.

I will admit I was once a Democrat but I eventually become disgusted with how pussified they had become during the Bush era and became an independent though a left leaning one. But like the majority of Americans I agree with some positions that are usually associated with the right. I think most Americans can't be pigeon-holed as one side or the other.

Fact of the matter is ideological wingnuts and prejudice exists just as much in the left as it does in the right.

I have seen some right wingers bring up the tort reform as a means of helping to reform healthcare (if you have seen some of my posts you would know not all of the left are partisan zombies and grass eaters).

I will look into that. I watched Ron Paul on Rachel Maddow and was pleasantly surprised by what he was saying about the military industrial complex. I have posted how the left and the right are joining forces to oppose and/or amend what's in the Senate health bill.

Whether you're leftie or a right winger, a partisan grass eater or a critical thinker, we are ALL Americans.

PS keep up the partisan potshots though, reading you guys is like watching comedy central.

Last edited by kovert; 01-09-2010 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies