Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:55 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The good old days were better for blacks too. Most homes had a mother and father. Now the vast majority are single parent homes.
Hey, thanks for your judgmental, prejudice, narrow minded description of my childhood.

Trust me, I came out of it far better than I would have if my mom and dad stayed together. The sheer stupidity of some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I can't beleive that people take comedy seriously or think that moive stars are really very smart people politcally.
Ever heard about "Artists using lies to tell the truth"? Many comedians uses jokes to do the same.

Beck, and his entourage use "truth" to spread lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
John Oliver was very clever (or whoever wrote the segment). Life is simple for kids. And that might be what we all want in the end.

However, I still feel that these are good days. I'm one of the few I bet
I watched this segment twice and this is primarily what I took from it. When folks remember back to the "good ole days" it is often one of waxing on about our youth when life wasn't as burdened with all the responsibilities of being an adult.

I suspect for a lot of folks that the good times were back when sneaking into the farmers stocked pond to fish was the adrenaline rush. Stressing over Friday's test on the multiplication tables or meeting Billy at the bus stop for the after school fist fight. The worry that in two more weeks, class started up and soon summer would be over or pretty soon the street lights would come on and you had to go home.

Those sure were great times, no matter what decade they happened in.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:20 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I watched this segment twice and this is primarily what I took from it. When folks remember back to the "good ole days" it is often one of waxing on about our youth when life wasn't as burdened with all the responsibilities of being an adult.

I suspect for a lot of folks that the good times were back when sneaking into the farmers stocked pond to fish was the adrenaline rush. Stressing over Friday's test on the multiplication tables or meeting Billy at the bus stop for the after school fist fight. The worry that in two more weeks, class started up and soon summer would be over or pretty soon the street lights would come on and you had to go home.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Old 01-08-2010, 07:47 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,094 times
Quote:
The good old days were better for blacks too.
Some people will probanly think you are joking, but I really think you are ignorant enough to believe that civil rights was bad for Blacks. You think Slavery was better for them too?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, it isn't....but it isn't the worst, yet.

The "good old days" DID exist. There was something good about every age.
No, things weren't perfect, they never were and never will be. But in over 60 years I have seen America get worse in most ways and better in damn few.

For instance, I wouldn't trade my childhood in the 50's for today's super-protected, constrained, short, regimented childhood of today.
Actually, I would say kids have it better today. Xbox and no Polio.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Daily Show's audience good old days is probably the 1990s.
Actually it peaked during Bush's second term.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:03 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
ok so which era of the "good old days" are you referring to.....? name it.

Let's see here. These are facts, not racism, although I am sure those with a pocket fill of race cards will use them. Most black families are single family homes where the fathers abondon their children. Blacks have a real and growing problem of their children in gangs, on drugs and killing each other in the streets. They are the largest population in our prisons. They are the fastest growing population contracting HIV and AIDS.

Now I don't know why they have these problems in larger numbers but I am positive there was a time when life was better for blacks in many ways.

Now play those race cards folks.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Let's see here. These are facts, not racism, although I am sure those with a pocket fill of race cards will use them. Most black families are single family homes where the fathers abondon their children. Blacks have a real and growing problem of their children in gangs, on drugs and killing each other in the streets. They are the largest population in our prisons. They are the fastest growing population contracting HIV and AIDS.

Now I don't know why they have these problems in larger numbers but I am positive there was a time when life was better for blacks in many ways.

Now play those race cards folks.
Poverty rates among African Americans did increase a bit under the Bush administration, but prior to that was dropping drastically. Poverty rates, crime rates, especially in many inner cities saw record declines during the 90's....

Old 01-08-2010, 08:24 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Poverty rates among African Americans did increase a bit under the Bush administration, but prior to that was dropping drastically. Poverty rates, crime rates, especially in many inner cities saw record declines during the 90's....

Illegal immigration has hurt blacks the most. It is fact they are most displaced in the job market and the jobs they do get, illegal immigration has driven down the wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies