U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:13 AM

4,072 posts, read 9,070,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Interesting reading for sure, some very scary letters. What is wrong with people that they don't use the ratings though, they are there for a reason. That show was rated TV14-L, and there were so many complaints from people watching with very young children. Duh! If I was so inclined to watch with my young children (which I wasn't), I would DVR and preview it.
I did not, and would not watch any awards show since i simply dont care.

But that said, a lot of familys and young people watch the various awards shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,837,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
"A viewer from Rainbow City, Alabama thought that Lambert, who is gay, was "shoving his homosexuality down our throats." Another writer wondered whether a kiss shared by two "fudge packers" fell below broadcast standards. Lambert was a "dangerous gay male" who should have been "denied...his rights as a human being," one viewer wrote. "All of the impressionable children that were watching this at 11pm on a school night with their parents permission may be scarred forever because of Mr. Lambert's disregard for family values.""

Lewd Lambert Lambasted - January 7, 2010

Some of the comments in the complaints to the FCC are entertaining to read, but they also make me fear for our country's future.
I guess they have never been to a gay bar because crotch grabbing and same sex kissing is quite the norm! Have they ever seen a drag show?
Wait Alabama has the same thing except it's called the local bar after a few shots of Whiskey!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 AM

26,529 posts, read 25,027,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
If you equate "expressions of homosexuality" with Adam Lambert's performance exclusively, then that is a little sad, IMO.
I never said that I equated expressions of homosexuality exclusively with Adam Lambert's performance. I'm not sure how anyone could have deduced that from my statements.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 AM

241 posts, read 232,637 times
Of course, these complainers are "conservatives" who want the government out of our lives..except when it comes to censorship, or anything that disrupts their Republican, Christian, suburban, white world view.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:40 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,243,239 times
HE goes too far and further substantiates the perception that gays have no morals or ethics. This is not a good thing.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,243,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The program was rated TV14, which means:
Parents Strongly Cautioned -- This program contains some material that many parents would find unsuitable for children under 14 years of age. Parents are strongly urged to exercise greater care in monitoring this program and are cautioned against letting children under the age of 14 watch unattended.

v-chip.org
If people aren't bright enough to interpret a TV show rating, that's their problem, not the FCC's.
You are correct. But my opinion is that his antics are not helping the cause, it just further stereotypes gays in a negative way.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 AM

9,644 posts, read 8,614,675 times
What would make me fear for this country is if you feel they dont have a right to say that now matter how insane or little you agree

Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 AM

26,529 posts, read 25,027,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
HE goes too far and further substantiates the perception that gays have no morals or ethics. This is not a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
You are correct. But my opinion is that his antics are not helping the cause, it just further stereotypes gays in a negative way.
Does this mean that gay performers should be censored in order to appease those who are either anti-gay or wary of gays?

How about TV shows that include gay characters? Should they be written in a way that sanitizes the gay characters so that they're more palatable to those who are anti-gay?

If gays want equality, I think they need to let go of the notion that gay people in the media (like Adam Lambert) need to be controlled in order to alter the public's image of homosexuality. I don't know of anyone suggesting that heterosexual performers need to control themselves in order to present a better image of heterosexuality on TV.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 AM

146 posts, read 132,049 times
But God forbid Someone says something religious especially under Christianity on a TV show, the left would be screaming bloody murder about shoving religion down our throats.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,392,857 times
Please remember people are free to say anything they want except libelous or endangering (fire in the theater) statements. I guess these conservatives are willing to limit free speech to thing they find pleasant or agreeable. These are the people that go off the wall about a gay nutcase but are calling for genocide of anything Muslim out the other side of their mouths. They sound like frightened school yard bullies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies