U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:07 PM

981 posts, read 630,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I understand that, but I think it's a bad idea to discourage any gay performer from doing what he or she wants to do on stage in the name of protecting the gay image. You play right into the homophobes' hands by doing that.
The same could be said about gays that choose to make their image about gay sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,117,016 times
Quote:

I understand that, but I think it's a bad idea to discourage any gay performer from doing what he or she wants to do on stage in the name of protecting the gay image. You play right into the homophobes' hands by doing that.
No performer should be allowed to do whatever they please. There are standards of decency that should be upheld. His "performance" would have been better suited for the adult channels and not mainstream TV. This has nothing to do with his being gay but about being respectful of his viewers. (Same goes for any heterosexual performer who decides to push the envelope).

Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,962,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
The same could be said about gays that choose to make their image about gay sex.
Well, if it makes someone feel good to cower and not be himself in order to placate the anti-gay crowd, then go for it. Knock yourself out. I'm not interested in playing that game.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
No performer should be allowed to do whatever they please. There are standards of decency that should be upheld. His "performance" would have been better suited for the adult channels and not mainstream TV. This has nothing to do with his being gay but about being respectful of his viewers. (Same goes for any heterosexual performer who decides to push the envelope).
I agree with you that it's not about being gay or straight. You and I disagree on whether or not performers should be censored, but at least we're in agreement that all performers should be treated equally, regardless of sexual orientation.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 PM

981 posts, read 630,485 times
Quote:
Well, if it makes someone feel good to cower and not be himself in order to placate the anti-gay crowd, then go for it. Knock yourself out. I'm not interested in playing that game.
Your views seem a little extreme and one-sided on this topic, AUM. No one is asking gays to cower and not be themselves. But to expect people to just accept it, is the problem. Just because people don't approve of the sexual expression doesn't mean they disapprove of gays or gay expressions of sexuality. It just comes down to what is considered tasteful, and what isn't.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,117,016 times
Quote:
What makes you so sure that Lambart was being himself during that performance? This may have been a publicity stunt that he may have went along with and not reflective of who he really is. I sure wish we can go back to the days when performers can focus on perfecting their art (music) without the unnecessary shock value attach to it.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What makes you so sure that Lambart was being himself during that performance? This may have been a publicity stunt that he may have went along with and not reflective of who he really is.
I believe he was being himself as a performer. He's defended his performance numerous times since it occurred.

Quote:
I sure wish we can go back to the days when performers can focus on perfecting their art (music) without the unnecessary shock value attach to it.
When would that be? The 1950s when Elvis was censored for his pelvic thrusts?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,531,574 times
I could help but laugh at the "dangerous gay male" part. That was hilarious.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 546 times
Thank goodness for "Just Cause" and reason. Adam Lamberts behavior is not the issue but ignorance and fear are. If those who were complaining about his impromptu behaviors would take the opportunity to talk to their "young children" about the behaviors they viewed. Its a great time to talk about what they believe and what they want their children to know about people that you dont understand. I LOVE ADAM LAMBERT and I AM NOT GAY. But, I love people especially those who have the opportunity to stand up fo rthose who are oppressed.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 PM

7,728 posts, read 11,020,472 times
I'm not a fan of Mr. Lambert. Just not my style. I do not approve of his actions while performing on a live broadcast either but, I saw nowhere near the outrage when Madonna "tongue kissed" Britney Spears on a live broadcast. If performers want to simulate any type of sex act they should be free to do so at their concerts or private performances but, I do think they should take the wider audience into consideration when performing in a public venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies