Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:03 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times

Advertisements

There seems to be alot of discussion about races on this forum and I get the impression that some people don't like blacks or Mexicans very much. How about Puerto Ricans? We are a mixture of Spanish Europeans, Africans and native Americans. It seems that Ricans have a connection with blacks, whites and indians and are probably the most racially diverse.

Do American anglos dislike latinos from Puerto Rico? If so, why? Is it because we are part African and part European and part American?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Sur all Americans are a blended bunch so the race hate is crazy but that being said boriquas are hot as hell!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Nah, I don't think most Anglos have a problem with Puerto Ricans. The Anglos who have problems with Puerto Ricans are the same ones who probably have problems with all minorities, and I doubt you'd want to associate with those people anyway. (The Archie Bunker types.)

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 01-08-2010 at 01:07 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
What you need to understand is most people on here are fine with Mexicans and Blacks it's just a very loud minority that isn't. Personally I don't have a problem with Puerto Ricans, as are probably most people here.

I know not to ever confuse one with a Dominican or Cuban though

Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 AM

170 posts, read 399,083 times
From my experience in growing up in the city of Los Angeles, I've experienced quite a bit of racism from a lot of the Mexicans here. This is pretty evident with the whole Black vs. Mexican race riots that have perpetuated across the schools in LA. But not all Mexicans are racists and there are a lot of Mexicans who are really cool, particularly the ones who have assimilated into the American culture. As for Puerto Ricans, I've never had any issues with them and a lot of them are really down to earth people. Dominicanos are some cool people too.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
There seems to be alot of discussion about races on this forum and I get the impression that some people don't like blacks or Mexicans very much. How about Puerto Ricans? We are a mixture of Spanish Europeans, Africans and native Americans. It seems that Ricans have a connection with blacks, whites and indians and are probably the most racially diverse.

Do American anglos dislike latinos from Puerto Rico? If so, why? Is it because we are part African and part European and part American?
I don't dislike anyone. I just find that there are so many problems, like crime and discrimination because people tend to identify with their race or ethnic group. So I find it to be a better policy for you to stay in Puerto Rico or Cuba or wherever you came from. Rather than coming here and adding fuel to the racial fire thats already burning.

The only reason Puerto Rico is even a protectorate of the United States was because of the sillyness associated with the "soviet threat", and because its useful to Americans as a vacation destination(since we don't like Cuba and all).

We really need to just cut it loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Sur all Americans are a blended bunch so the race hate is crazy but that being said boriquas are hot as hell!
Its true that the Americas for the most part are a massive blend of all different kinds of races and ethnic groups. From just the parts I know of from my mothers side, I am French, German, Irish, English, and Native American.

The problem IMO is that in America, in most parts of the country no ones notices or even cares that there are French, Germans, or Irish living here. Most Americans don't even associate in that way, they are just "white" or caucasians. Its when you start throwing in anyone of varying skin colors that all of the sudden you have problems.

Solution? Make it a political agenda to encourage interracial marriage through all means available(government, schools, media), ferociously call anyone who resists a hopeless ignorant racist, force desegregation and possibly even subsidize minorities who are having large amounts of children(through welfare). Eventually these policies will cause the population to be so mixed that no one will care anymore.

So far this plan is working flawlessly

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-08-2010 at 02:39 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I think people tend to blow things out of proportion. Read a history book and see how poorly the irish were treated, as were poles,chinese, italians, czechs, russian jews, africans, etc. I'm of mixed german ancestry and the germans were considered a backwards insular people ( largely based on their speaking german and not english). Language is the key. Speak the language of the majority and you most likely will go right into the mainstream and have all the opportunities you can ever want. Don't and accept missing many of those opportunities and just deal with it.
As for interracial marriage and blending of cultures, let everyone do as they wish. Pa dutch and german culture are awesome and I also like english cultural traditions. I'd hate to see them lost, but I'm sure others wouldn't care. I don't have any interest in most spanish/caribbean or african culture but enjoy polish and chinese food as well as mexican food and asian culture in general. If others enjoy what they like, let them enjoy them. Just don't disrespect other people or demand they give your culture( or religion) or ethnicity special consideration if they don't care one way or the other.
And here's a question: Why is it wrong to hate a particular culture, religion or race and yet its okay to hate a particular sports team and its fans?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
From my experience in growing up in the city of Los Angeles, I've experienced quite a bit of racism from a lot of the Mexicans here. This is pretty evident with the whole Black vs. Mexican race riots that have perpetuated across the schools in LA. But not all Mexicans are racists and there are a lot of Mexicans who are really cool, particularly the ones who have assimilated into the American culture. As for Puerto Ricans, I've never had any issues with them and a lot of them are really down to earth people. Dominicanos are some cool people too.
There were problems at "one" high school btw. Latinos moving into what were all-black nieghborhoods was part of the issue when Mexican\ Salvadoran gangs began to take over territory of black gangs. There were no "race riots"

Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I don't dislike anyone. I just find that there are so many problems, like crime and discrimination because people tend to identify with their race or ethnic group. So I find it to be a better policy for you to stay in Puerto Rico or Cuba or wherever you came from. Rather than coming here and adding fuel to the racial fire thats already burning.

The only reason Puerto Rico is even a protectorate of the United States was because of the sillyness associated with the "soviet threat", and because its useful to Americans as a vacation destination(since we don't like Cuba and all).

We really need to just cut it loose.

Its true that the Americas for the most part are a massive blend of all different kinds of races and ethnic groups. From just the parts I know of from my mothers side, I am French, German, Irish, English, and Native American.

The problem IMO is that in America, in most parts of the country no ones notices or even cares that there are French, Germans, or Irish living here. Most Americans don't even associate in that way, they are just "white" or caucasians. Its when you start throwing in anyone of varying skin colors that all of the sudden you have problems.

Solution? Make it a political agenda to encourage interracial marriage through all means available(government, schools, media), ferociously call anyone who resists a hopeless ignorant racist, force desegregation and possibly even subsidize minorities who are having large amounts of children(through welfare). Eventually these policies will cause the population to be so mixed that no one will care anymore.

So far this plan is working flawlessly
You sound sorta bitter & not very welcoming of Latinos. But that is your right to voice your opinion. I'm just grateful to have a blend of nationalities & races. Rican music has Afro roots and because we have black blood we are good at sports.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:02 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
I don't have an issue with any race. I only have issues with people---people who commit crimes, people who drain the healthcare system, people who leech off of welfare, and people who are nothing but a pest to society. And those people come in all colors and races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.