U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 11:18 PM

17,853 posts, read 12,180,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
Just remember the same science and scientist who are claiming the sky is falling (i mean global warming) were warning of the coming ice age just a few decades ago. First the earth is cooling then the earth is warming. Funny it's being doing that all along. Why can't scientist add up 2 and 2 and get 4 like most educated people?

Here is a Newsweek article giving all the scientific facts about the ice age we now live in.

1975 Newsweek: The Coming Ice Age | Sweetness & Light
Not this old anti-science myth again. Why can't scientist-bashers ever do any fact checking before posting this sort of rubbish?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:05 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,196 posts, read 13,964,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Even if we assume that arctic soil is fertile enough to grow crops, which it most likely isn't and wouldn't be for quite a while after it warms up, you ignore the reality of a situation like that. Even if the way global warming would work was that average temperatures would just hump 25 degrees, you have to understand that while colder climates will warm up, the already warm climates will also heat up. This could damage farm land and we'd lose more farm land than we would gain. And while warm weather is nice, there are already places that are in the 90s regularly, imagine that getting hotter?

Again, this is based on how you think climate change works, which is inaccurate. Temperatures won't just rise a certain amount. It's more complicated than that, but even in your simplified version, the results would do more harm that good.
that is false

history/science shows that when it was warmer (global average of about 72' compared to todays 50's) while he average was higher, the climate was more tropical, and temperate

ie if the average high is 85 and the average low is 60 that means, the average is 72.5

warmer, which has a better precipitation rate (less irrigation needed) is better

only idiots would want the temps to go down from here

Old 02-08-2015, 01:11 AM

30,821 posts, read 31,654,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Ok, I didn't know yellowstone was followed by a major extinction.

But have the climates been changed everywhere? The only trends I can see here is the US has gotten wetter on average since the beginning of the 20th century. And global warming effects the poles most, not the tropics, that's why I'm really questioning your 70%, since the arctic species are very few and have very wide ranges. If it does effect the tropics, then I can see more justification for extinction.
There are approximately 6,000 species of animals that live north of the tree line in the arctic....I'd hardly call this very few....There is a great deal of life of all kinds there.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:18 AM

21,187 posts, read 19,209,518 times
Southern Brazil, California etc. are already "enjoying" the benefits of climate change and global warming

Old 02-08-2015, 08:18 AM

22,388 posts, read 11,521,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There are approximately 6,000 species of animals that live north of the tree line in the arctic....I'd hardly call this very few....There is a great deal of life of all kinds there.
Sucks to be them. They better adapt quickly.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:55 PM

3,792 posts, read 1,882,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The little ice age was not global, it was pretty much regional and limited to the northern hemisphere. Evidence over the past few years shows signs of major volcanic activity and lack of sunspots were part of a large combination that caused the little ice age. The biggest issue with a warmer climate is a rising ocean, as much as 30 feet if it warms up by just 5º, a colder climate would lock up more moisture in ice at the poles and high altitudes, causing the oceans to drop and more coast land would become available for living and agriculture. I am for a colder world.
Tell that to the Canadians they were under a lot of ice in the last ice age.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Ok, I didn't know yellowstone was followed by a major extinction.

But have the climates been changed everywhere? The only trends I can see here is the US has gotten wetter on average since the beginning of the 20th century. And global warming effects the poles most, not the tropics, that's why I'm really questioning your 70%, since the arctic species are very few and have very wide ranges. If it does effect the tropics, then I can see more justification for extinction.
Take a look at the globe. It has water almost all the way around the globe at the equate or close to it. water does wonders to mitigate are temper weather changes. Water does wonders for moving heat from the equator to the poles and from the poles to the equator.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:42 PM

7,090 posts, read 6,502,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur
Sucks to be them. They better adapt quickly.
They will adapt better than many species of animals in more southern regions are able to. What's already happening is certain animals, insects and plants from southern regions are gradually moving further north to escape from drought and heat conditions in the south that is becoming increasingly more difficult for them to tolerate. Animals in the north are thriving and will continue to thrive as more diversity of food delivers itself from the south to the north.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:29 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,954,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They will adapt better than many species of animals in more southern regions are able to. What's already happening is certain animals, insects and plants from southern regions are gradually moving further north to escape from drought and heat conditions in the south that is becoming increasingly more difficult for them to tolerate. Animals in the north are thriving and will continue to thrive as more diversity of food delivers itself from the south to the north.

Agreed. Word is quite a few mild winter plants that would die back in the day, like as in 100 years ago are now spreading to those cold places.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:44 PM

"Two weeks ago, under the headline “How we are being tricked by flawed data on global warming”, I wrote about Paul Homewood, who, on his Notalotofpeopleknowthat blog, had checked the published temperature graphs for three weather stations in Paraguay against the temperatures that had originally been recorded. In each instance, the actual trend of 60 years of data had been dramatically reversed, so that a cooling trend was changed to one that showed a marked warming." The fiddling with temperature data is the biggest science scandal ever - Telegraph

Well, I all for warmer even if it is just made up numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or