U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 02:10 PM

30,882 posts, read 31,776,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The latest prediction of mega droughts has leapt from tabloid authenticity to downright speculative science fiction. Don't they realize nobody takes them seriously any more? And why the desperate hard sell?
Now they're trying to stir up fear and panic over weather control. It looks like our own government is into conspiracy theory.
No, that would be you. Editorial cartoon: Global warming - Opinion - The Boston Globe

Old 02-17-2015, 09:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,131,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
But it's not going to go from tundra to farmland. It's going to go from tundra to taiga, and some of the warmer taiga climates, like that valley right outside of Anchorage, are actually very good at growing crops. So it will go from unarable taiga to arable taiga down on the south end of those forests today. The north parts will go from treeless to treed.
If the climate warms up even more and the oceans rise, that valley outside of Anchorage will be under water and so would any areas that are below 230 feet, all would be enundated if all the ice on the planet melted. The oceans have already risen 8 inches in the last 100 years.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:07 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,335 posts, read 14,055,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If the climate warms up even more and the oceans rise, that valley outside of Anchorage will be under water and so would any areas that are below 230 feet, all would be enundated if all the ice on the planet melted. The oceans have already risen 8 inches in the last 100 years.
the oceans have NOT risen 8 inches, more like 3mm in the last 100 years

I live on the ocean...fish on the same dock my grandfather did in 1905..with the same water marks

William the Conqueror began building, what is now known as the Tower of London, in 1078. The Tower is situated on the north bank of the river Thames, within the tidal section at the eastern extremity of London. There were no flood-control locks at this time, the first being built in 1633. The Tower was constructed a few feet above the high tide mark and still sits a few feet above the high tide mark. Many tapestries and paintings of the Tower shortly after its completion show that the sea level has not changed!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Tower_(1).JPG

1000 years and no significant sealevel change

the sea level is the same as it was 150 years ago

the sealevel is nearly the same as it was in 1842
...infact it is BELOW the sealevel mark made in 1842

In 1842 the "Isle of the Dead" in SE Tasmania was selected for the site of a "Mean Sea Level" refernce mark by Capt. James Clark Ross. Today this mark can clearly be seen 35 cm ABOVE the current mean sea level.

For a wonderful examination of Sea Level change from 1841 to 2004, this picture is worth a thousand words:

http://www.john-daly.com/ges/images/rossmark.jpg

The 1841 sea level benchmark (centre) on the ‘Isle of the Dead’, Tasmania. According to Antarctic explorer, Capt. Sir James Clark Ross, it marked mean sea level in 1841. Photo taken at low tide 20 Jan 2004. Mark is 50 cm across; tidal range is less than a metre.
Let’s read that again and consider four things:

#1) - the mark was placed at mean sea level. The word “mean” in this use denotes the “mathematical average”. The sea rose above it and set below it by an equal amount during the tidal cycle.
#2) - The mark was made in the middle of the tidal range in 1841 and it was photographed 163 years later at the bottom of the tidal cycle.
#3) - the tidal cycle is one meter and the mark is 50 centimeters or one-half meter long.
#4) - the mark is sitting about 30 or 40 centimeters above the water in the photograph. Given that there is some wave surge, it looks like the level of the ocean has not changed one bit in 163 years.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-08-2015 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: hotlinking

Old 02-18-2015, 07:22 AM

13,624 posts, read 11,064,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It will take a lot more than warmer temperatures to grow crops on acidic infertile soil....

nothing a little co2 and rock dust cant fix

Old 02-18-2015, 07:26 AM

13,624 posts, read 11,064,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the oceans have NOT risen 8 inches, more like 3mm in the last 100 years

I live on the ocean...fish on the same dock my grandfather did in 1905..with the same water marks

William the Conqueror began building, what is now known as the Tower of London, in 1078. The Tower is situated on the north bank of the river Thames, within the tidal section at the eastern extremity of London. There were no flood-control locks at this time, the first being built in 1633. The Tower was constructed a few feet above the high tide mark and still sits a few feet above the high tide mark. Many tapestries and paintings of the Tower shortly after its completion show that the sea level has not changed!

1000 years and no significant sealevel change

the sea level is the same as it was 150 years ago

the sealevel is nearly the same as it was in 1842
...infact it is BELOW the sealevel mark made in 1842

In 1842 the "Isle of the Dead" in SE Tasmania was selected for the site of a "Mean Sea Level" refernce mark by Capt. James Clark Ross. Today this mark can clearly be seen 35 cm ABOVE the current mean sea level.

For a wonderful examination of Sea Level change from 1841 to 2004, this picture is worth a thousand words:

The 1841 sea level benchmark (centre) on the ‘Isle of the Dead’, Tasmania. According to Antarctic explorer, Capt. Sir James Clark Ross, it marked mean sea level in 1841. Photo taken at low tide 20 Jan 2004. Mark is 50 cm across; tidal range is less than a metre.
Let’s read that again and consider four things:

#1) - the mark was placed at mean sea level. The word “mean” in this use denotes the “mathematical average”. The sea rose above it and set below it by an equal amount during the tidal cycle.
#2) - The mark was made in the middle of the tidal range in 1841 and it was photographed 163 years later at the bottom of the tidal cycle.
#3) - the tidal cycle is one meter and the mark is 50 centimeters or one-half meter long.
#4) - the mark is sitting about 30 or 40 centimeters above the water in the photograph. Given that there is some wave surge, it looks like the level of the ocean has not changed one bit in 163 years.

I've been going to the same shoreline for 40 years, and I know it like the back of my hand. and I have not seen one bit off sea level rise in the 40 years, low and high tides are the same as they were 40 years ago..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:05 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,255,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Short answer to your first question, yes.

Meanwhile, Miami Beach is under knee deep water at high tide, the ocean has eroded parts of A1A, and some of the smarter civic leaders are paying attention to the rising ocean.

But...nothin to see here. It snowed in Colorado.

Are the fresh watter alligators going to become "salties" in the future? I hope so.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,255,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
China reduced greenhouse gas emissions last year. The U.S. increased greenhouse gas emissions last year by the largest margin ever since emissions have been tracked. The rest of the world gets it. They don't have an extensive infrastructure to insulate them from the effects of an unstable environment. The drought in California should have killed thousands upon thousands but because we are America they can get water from Arizona... that should give you pause because for years it was the other way around. California kept both Arizona and Nevada from literally dying of thirst via pipelines of life giving water.

In India a drought means people die. And die horribly. By the thousands. Same with Africa. Can't be fixed? You mean "won't be fixed". There has been no attempt to even try the most minimal and pathetic effort to curb our runaway dependence of fossil fuels. Even if it did nothing for AGW it would do plenty to see to it that obtaining oil for pharmacy, medical hardware and other non-transportation uses would NOT require pumping millions of gallons of TOXIC chemicals into our groundwater. When the cancer cases caused by the slow ingestion of fracking chemicals start showing up in oncology wards there is going to be hell to pay. Literally.

My guess is the Big Oil people already know that and have a number in mind that they think will settle all the cases and still allow them to bank record profits right up until the starship they are building to take them to the earthlike planet that they have discovered 12 light-years away is ready.

H
Is each continent/country enclosed in a biosphere so that the emmissions and other pollutions can be collected, weighed and sorted so comparisons can be charted/listed to ensure the international community has a scapegoat to laugh at and belittle until the next report comes out?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:58 AM

3,792 posts, read 1,891,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I've been going to the same shoreline for 40 years, and I know it like the back of my hand. and I have not seen one bit off sea level rise in the 40 years, low and high tides are the same as they were 40 years ago..
Yep.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:38 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,732,367 times
Default 2014 - one of the warmest winters on Record for US

Cold winter, right? No, it was warmer than average

If trends continue, wonder what will happen. . .

evidence of warming?

a fluke?

I know we felt this in Denver, awesome 70 degree days in February!

Old 03-06-2015, 03:40 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,538,049 times
It has been a very warm and dry winter here in the Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or