U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 07:26 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,884,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm in Michigan, we can ship you some cold, lol. I haven't checked it out but someone told me we broke a record today. I'm starting to think spring will never come.
the summer inhaled and held it's breath too long
the winter looked the same as if it never had gone

Old 03-06-2015, 07:30 PM

17,853 posts, read 12,185,234 times
It’s Cold and My Car is Buried in Snow. Is Global Warming Really Happening?

The Arctic connection and the polar vortex: A look at recent North American winters
Winters have generally been warming faster than other seasons in the United States and recent research indicates that climate change is disrupting the Arctic and ice around the North Pole. The Arctic summer sea ice extent broke all records during the end of the 2012 sea ice melt season.

Some researchers are pointing to a complex interplay between Arctic sea ice decline, ocean patterns, upper winds, and the shifting shape of the jet stream that could lead to extreme weather in various portions of northern mid-latitudes — such that some places get tons of snow repeatedly and others are unseasonably warm.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:33 PM

33,046 posts, read 21,952,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
They'll try to fix it with your money.

I never give them my money
I only give them my funny paper
And in the middle of investigation
I break down

Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
No, it hasn't. What's your source for this nonsense claim?

How about millions of years?

If you want to learn more about the earth's past climates and the major role of CO2, try watching a lecture from the 2009 American Geophysical Union (AGU) conference by Professor Richard Alley. There has also been more recent research in several large studies since 2009 that adds even more paleoclimate evidence to confirm what he is saying. He's a bit of a character and quite entertaining.

Richard Alley: "The Biggest Control Knob: Carbon Dioxide in Earth's Climate History" - AGU 2009 conference

The American Institute of Physics also has a good overview of the history of the research into earth's past climates:

Past Climate Cycles: Ice Age Speculations

Past Climate Cycles: Ice Age Speculations
Physics? Are these people certified climate scientists? You people cannot have things both ways.

I do know from research that the CO2 level 600 million years ago was estimated at over 6000 ppm. Good thing too. Snowball earth would never have melted. No humans then. Just trilobites. And volcanoes.

PS I am still going thru the referenced article, but if CO2 is the only factor, why was the Milankovich cycle a quite successful tracker of past ice ages?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:35 PM

46,054 posts, read 29,425,983 times
Quote:
Itís Cold and My Car is Buried in Snow. Is Global Warming Really Happening?

The Arctic connection and the polar vortex: A look at recent North American winters
Winters have generally been warming faster than other seasons in the United States and recent research indicates that climate change is disrupting the Arctic and ice around the North Pole. The Arctic summer sea ice extent broke all records during the end of the 2012 sea ice melt season.

Some researchers are pointing to a complex interplay between Arctic sea ice decline, ocean patterns, upper winds, and the shifting shape of the jet stream that could lead to extreme weather in various portions of northern mid-latitudes ó such that some places get tons of snow repeatedly and others are unseasonably warm.
This is basically what was predicted about 15-20 years ago that would begin to happen and people ignored the warning signs.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:48 PM

2,778 posts, read 1,420,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Planet has been warming for over 10,000 years with a short interruption by the little ice age, which ended neighborhood 1850, depending upon who one believes.

Climate normals arent determined by looking at a single century either, particularly when there is an ice in the mix someplace.
You're just making stuff up now.

Climate normals are determined by looking at 30 year averages, not centuries.

Climate Normals | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)

Even if you are talking about climate change over thousands of years, it hasn't been warming.

Look:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Variations.png

The Holocene climatic optimum was reached 8000 years ago, and since then there has been a very gradual cooling... at least until the 20th century, when the temperature suddenly shot up.

The warming of the 20th/21st century is the fastest temperature shift in the past 65 million years.

Today's Climate Change Proves Much Faster Than Changes in Past 65 Million Years - Scientific American

Quote:
Temperatures then increased between 3 and 5 degrees Celsius, similar to the amount scientists say is possible with ongoing climate change. But that change happened over about 20,000 years, the scientists said, and not decades as is happening now.
So no, it wasn't some gradual, natural climb to the current temperatures with the LIA interrupting slightly.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-08-2015 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: hot-linking

Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 PM

20,978 posts, read 16,218,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Before somebody brings it up:

Yes, it is weather and not climate.
Your ilk started the "weather as proof of climate change BS". We just make fun of you now.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 PM

11,087 posts, read 6,966,114 times
Quote:
Itís Cold and My Car is Buried in Snow. Is Global Warming Really Happening?

Some researchers are pointing to a complex interplay between Arctic sea ice decline, ocean patterns, upper winds, and the shifting shape of the jet stream that could lead to extreme weather in various portions of northern mid-latitudes ó such that some places get tons of snow repeatedly and others are unseasonably warm.
This is a fine example of the religion that is AGW.

All evidence for the cult points to global warming.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 PM

17,853 posts, read 12,185,234 times
Quote:
Physics? Are these people certified climate scientists? You people cannot have things both ways.
Are you serious? You've never heard of Atmospheric Physics? Solar Physics?
Quote:
I do know from research that the CO2 level 600 million years ago was estimated at over 6000 ppm. Good thing too. Snowball earth would never have melted. No humans then. Just trilobites. And volcanoes.
What 'research' have you done? The Heartland Institute's NIPCC propaganda? Anti-science internet blogs? If this is what you have come up with, then you haven't done any real research at all.

Quote:
PS I am still going thru the referenced article, but if CO2 is the only factor, why was the Milankovich cycle a quite successful tracker of past ice ages?
Who said CO2 was the only factor? Keep reading the AIP article (or watching Alley's video) and you might learn more about how the Milankovitch cycles and CO2 worked.

Last edited by Ceist; 03-06-2015 at 08:24 PM..

Old 03-06-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? You've never heard of Atmospheric Physics?
What 'research' have you done? The Heartland Institute's NIPCC propaganda? Anti-science internet blogs? If this is what you have come up with, then you haven't done any real research at all.

Who said CO2 was the only factor? Keep reading the AIP article (or watching Alley's video) and you might learn more about how the Milankovitch cycles and CO2 worked.
And you keep making stuff up in lieu have having an intelligent conversation. Nothing I referenced came from Heartland or your other enemies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or