Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
No , actually you said France. Not the French Government. And I quote you verbatim : "Well I would like to know what is the acceptable decibel level before it is considered "yelling". What if you are a person that talks loud by nature. I am being sarcastic of course, leave it to France to top the "idiot" list".

France which is made of French people. Like myself. I wonder how some Americans would read it if I said that the US topped the idiot list ? I'm not sure the responses would be terribly civil.

Still though I would be interested why the French government would top the idiot list ?

I myself am no fan of Sarkozy and his right wing party but I am genuinely interested in your opinion and deep insider knowledge to make the French government worst than let's say the British , German, Slovakian, Spanish, Italian, Estonian, Swiss... etc... I mean for it to be an obvious choice for idiot "supremo", there has to be something really special about it ? At least some special knowledge you have of all other European countries compared to France. I assume you know most European countries ( including France) extremely well to make such facile assumptions ?

I must admit to being rather baffled but welcome any input. Especially as I too find the current French government not terribly to my liking either.
Well since the thread was about a law that GOVERNMENT is creating I assumed it was understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Don't we have stupid laws on the books too? Like you can't sneeze in public on a Tuesday after 2pm in a certain town in a certain state? Thought I saw a special on "stupid laws still on the books" a few years ago.

How are they going to monitor this? He-said/she-said? And it includes accusations of infidelity? Yikes!

It may come down to how this law, should it be passed, is enforced. But, IMO, what happens in France with respect to this issue can stay in France.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:25 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Yelling at someone can be considered a threat or an assault. A man does not have a right to commit an assault. Assault is already a criminally illegal act. France is apparently pointing this out. Maybe their men will think before they start yelling at and beating their women.
Mother of god.... tell me you're freaking joking

Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
What a load of horsecrap. Couples fight/argue. Sometimes this means yelling. Yelling doesnt mean someone is going to be beaten.

And how are they going to know if people are yelling as in mad or yelling as in sex? Im told sometimes its hard to tell the difference....

I think France is going to have alot of people in jail if this law is passed. If it ever happens here, we're all going to be in the slammer.
If this law gets passed you're going to see the domestic murder rate skyrocket in France. This is light years beyond lunacy and ridiculousness...

Old 01-11-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Good for France. Verbal abuse is NOT okay.
So we're supposed to bottle up our emotions?! what kind of planet did you come from????

Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I don't think the law goes anywhere near far enough.

I think they should criminalise making mean or scary faces at your wife.

Or complaining about them having to many shoes.

lol

Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
So we're supposed to bottle up our emotions?! what kind of planet did you come from????

I am French - and all we are saying IS:
Keep it down now - Voices Carry

Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battmann View Post
....... Any law brought into place to protect people is fine with me.
No thanks, I don't consider a blanket statement like that to be a good idea at all.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Verbal threats are still threats. Threatening is, even in our law, an assault. That is a crime.

I am not particularly bothered if all you boy-man can no longer threaten your girl friends or wives. I understand how difficult it must be to not be able to verbally, let alone physically, abuse females. Is that not what they are for? There has, in your limited world, to be a class of people you can abuse to make your selves feel like “real men”.

My stepfather, in addition to being a drunk, was such a man. After a huge amount of crap and a tour in ‘Nam, I confronted the clown with every intention of extracting a well deserved revenge and realized just what a pitiful little man he actually was. I wished him a long and miserable life and walked off. He lost everything he held dear before he died without any help from me. Good riddance.

I told that story so you little bullies would not get the idea that I was afraid of damaging people if necessary. I respect the French for removing the free pass, generally extended to bullies, to beat their wives, girl friends and kids. We need to do this in our society as well.
This HAS to be a joke.... seriously guys... who planted this guy here????

Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Verbal abuse can easily be handled with ear plugs, ear phones, etc.

Only when it bothers the neighbors, should the police be called in, and then, only after attempts to quiet down by polite notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies