Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:20 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,943,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Love or hatred for Mr Beck notwithstanding for a moment, I'll say that I'm black---and I'll answer to that, Negro, African-American, whatever, as long as it's not (gasp!) that ol' devil N-word...THEN, I have a problem...

But to answer your question with a question, who made Mr Beck the final judge and arbiter on what is a 'race' and what isn't? Now, don't get me wrong, I understand to a certain extent what he is trying to say...and at the end of the day, whatever comes before ' -American' is irrelevant---we are ALL citizens of the United States Of America...that much is true 24/7/365...

However, I think where the flames are getting fanned is folk are taking his comments and interpreting them to say he is either using them as a belittling of a race, or he's trying to, as I said earlier, make himself out to be the final judge and arbiter of what people of differing ethnic groups choose to call themselves/be called by others...and in THAT respect, I think he may be wrong...as adults, we are all the owners of our own lives and destinies, and it's NOT up to a media personality, love him or not, to make a call like that...I understand fully about what initiated the flap ( the placing of the word 'Negro' on the upcoming census as an identifying term along with 'Black' and 'African-American'...and if I messed that up, I apologize), but it's still not his call
This is perfect. Exactly the point I was trying to make. I wish more people could be sensitive to the fact that even if Beck has a right to hold a term up to the light for inspection, doing so not only serves no constructive purpose, but it insults the perceived identity of many people. It doesn't matter whether he is technically right or not. It's just splitting hairs to be divisive. Typical Beck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,816,330 times
Quote:
Almost everyone, to the person, would agree that if we drop all labels and just call ourselves "American" we would be better off.
you can think that if you want to

Old 01-08-2010, 03:33 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,816,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
And?
You don't seem to have a clue what your arguing about.
This whole post is about African/American, Negro and Black being different classifications for race and Beck saying it's a made up term.
The fact is African American is not a race, period.

Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black.

i already said that, if there wasnt infraction id tell u what i think.
like i and many other blacks are an african american. others are latino others are west indian,...ethnicity

who gives a crap about beck, beck says this beck says that, and its not gonnna change anything just a waste of time on that white guys part

Proove i said african american is a racial group, you cant, move along good old boy

Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 PM

12,920 posts, read 13,611,483 times
ever heard of "Scotch Irish", They ain't Irishmen, why do they call them Irish, whats up with that?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:04 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,295,516 times
Some people will always be more American than others in some eyes.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,491,742 times
I just can't believe that:

1) Glenn Beck is actually allowed on tv
2) People actually watch him
3) People watch him and think that he has valid points
4) People watch him and think that he is actually sane
5) Glenn Beck doesn't get that he would do himself a world of good to work out his issues of an inferiority complex and self esteem with a good therapist

Old 01-08-2010, 06:48 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,229,973 times
When has this maroon ever been PC about anything?????!!!!!!
Isn't he usually inserting foot in mouth?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:52 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,769,585 times
Beck is a Mormon, and Mormonism has a history of discriminating against African-Americans.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,916,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Did someone announce that "African-American" is a race?

If not, I think Glenn is flailing away at a strawman.
Yes, as a matter of fact, someone did. The US Census did, when they listed "African American" as one of the possible answers for the question, "Race:"

Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,095,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact, someone did. The US Census did, when they listed "African American" as one of the possible answers for the question, "Race:"
"...self-identification data items in which residents choose the race or races with which they most closely identify, and indicate whether or not they are of Hispanic or Latino origin (ethnicity)."
"The 2010 US Census will have changes designed to more clearly distinguish the Hispanic ethnicity as not being a race. That may include adding the sentence: "For this census, Hispanic origins are not races."[13] Additionally, the Hispanic terms will be reordered from "Hispanic or Latino" to "Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin".[13]

"In response to a very large percentage of Hispanics marking "Some other race" (a non-standard category),[10] the 2010 US Census is considering removing the "Some other race" category.[14]"

Race and ethnicity in the United States Census - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Census isnt saying that "self-indentification data items" are new names for races.

I still think Glenn was just stirring the pot, keeping you all all torqued up properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies