Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:11 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,265,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Oh yeah. That was very cool. I remember doing it very carefully so that I could actually see my fingerprints.
You know which smell I still love? Taking the cap off of one of those big fattie black magic markers, the kind that have the sort of aluminum wand, & taking a big sniff...makes me sound like a druggie, but whatever I love that smell. And of course...rubber cement. Very toxic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
You know which smell I still love? Taking the cap off of one of those big fattie black magic markers, the kind that have the sort of aluminum wand, & taking a big sniff...makes me sound like a druggie, but whatever I love that smell. And of course...rubber cement. Very toxic!
Aha. That explains it. My 10 year old granddaughter is always playing teacher and she has a white board up in her room and is always using those fat black magic markers. Here I thought it was because she was just following in our family footsteps and going to end up as a teacher. In truth she is sniffing magic markers.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How many of these do you actually remember in your life. Do you think any of these or not experiencing most or many of these influence how you do things or think today compared to others who post here?

1. Only 13 TV channels and only 3 TV choices for news.
2. Getting news when you went to the movie theater, either before or between two movies (yes, two movies, one ticket).
3. Whites Only/Colored Only signs
4. The saying, "Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"
5. Party line telephone in your home
6. Rotary dial telephone in your home
7. No computers in the home
8. Black and white TV shows
9. Not having air conditioning in your home.
10. Personally owning a typewriter.
11. Personally owning a phonograph.
12. Mimeographed copies in school
13. School drills in case of a nuclear bombing
14. A stay-at-home mother
15. Going "to church" at the drive in movie theater
16. Out of town homes for embarrassed unwed teenage mothers
17. Lining up for gasoline every other day depending on your odd/even license plate number.
18. The draft
19. No child car seats
20. No seat belts
21. Walking more than a mile home from school
22. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing earrings
23. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing thong underwear.
24. When only military and bikers had tattoos
25. When the "good guy" in a movie wasn't flawed
26. When you could buy a slice of pizza and a soda for under $1
27. Being under 18 and not having your own phone.
28. Kids in the neighborhood coming to your house and trying to earn some money shoveling snow or mowing lawns.
29. Playing in the street
30. Give us one of your own.
I remember 1, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14, 27, and 29, and I'm only 23.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogemania View Post
Instead of taking the bus home from school, my friends and I would walk - cutting through the cornfields and beating the bus home by 10 minutes. Today, the cornfields are gone, and on a recent visit my daughter and I got lost - on all those intertwining streets of McMansions that stand where the cornfields used to be, all looking alike, even down to the required soccer net in the yard and SUV in the driveway.
Did you even know anybody who played soccer when you were a kid?

Kickball and dodgeball, yeah.

When I was ten, in 1968, the town decided to form a girls' softball league. It was called the Powder Puff League.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
Quote:
How many of these do you actually remember in your life. Do you think any of these or not experiencing most or many of these influence how you do things or think today compared to others who post here?

1. Only 13 TV channels and only 3 TV choices for news. We had one channel from 6pm till 10pm.
2. Getting news when you went to the movie theater, either before or between two movies (yes, two movies, one ticket). yes
3. Whites Only/Colored Only signs grew up in Southern Africa, so a big yes
4. The saying, "Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?" no
5. Party line telephone in your home yes, we used to get into trouble for listening in on the neighbors calls
6. Rotary dial telephone in your home yes, many back home still have them
7. No computers in the home still not too common there
8. Black and white TV shows yes
9. Not having air conditioning in your home. still not too common there
10. Personally owning a typewriter. yes
11. Personally owning a phonograph. yes
12. Mimeographed copies in school yes, loved the smell but messy
13. School drills in case of a nuclear bombing no, we had drills for real bombs
14. A stay-at-home mother yes, and I am one
15. Going "to church" at the drive in movie theater no, weird
16. Out of town homes for embarrassed unwed teenage mothers yes, they would disappear for a year and came back as if nothing had happened
17. Lining up for gasoline every other day depending on your odd/even license plate number. yes, went on for decades
18. The draft yes, different war
19. No child car seats yes
20. No seat belts yes
21. Walking more than a mile home from school we used to ride our bikes 4 miles each way rain or shine, only excuses were if the bikes got stolen or broken legs. We even had to ride with broken arms.
22. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing earrings yes
23. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing thong underwear. yes, but they wore Speedos (the little ones)
24. When only military and bikers had tattoos yes
25. When the "good guy" in a movie wasn't flawed yes
26. When you could buy a slice of pizza and a soda for under $1 no
27. Being under 18 and not having your own phone. yes
28. Kids in the neighborhood coming to your house and trying to earn some money shoveling snow or mowing lawns. no
29. Playing in the street yes
- everyone had a Farrah Fawcett hair style
- we had milk and bread delivered to the house
- we got 1 gift at Christmas, and it was from Santa
- only the top 3 in sports got a trophy
- if you weren't in the top 3 in sports, you tried a lot harder the next time
- didn't have a swing set, but did have lots of very tall trees to climb
- saved for 4 years to buy my first car

I grew up on a different continent, and we were a few years behind the times, but most items on this list are very familiar.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I remember 1, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14, 27, and 29, and I'm only 23.
No Commodore 64?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:13 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I remember similar things - all of us kids in the back of the station wagon, it was one of those with the windows along the roofline, rolling around, carrying on. Good times, good times.

I used to get sick riding in the back of a station wagon. I couln't ride backwards. All of the nuns used to ride around in station wagons.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:43 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,947 times
1966 UHF Channel 26 WCIU Chicago off the convertor box, bullfighting televised on Saturday nights.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Aha. That explains it. My 10 year old granddaughter is always playing teacher and she has a white board up in her room and is always using those fat black magic markers. Here I thought it was because she was just following in our family footsteps and going to end up as a teacher. In truth she is sniffing magic markers.
I remember when a flat black magic marker was a lump of coal.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:12 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:

1. Only 13 TV channels and only 3 TV choices for news.we had more thanks to UHF. We had four networks; ABC, CBS, NBC, & PBS
2. Getting news when you went to the movie theater, either before or between two movies (yes, two movies, one ticket). no
3. Whites Only/Colored Only signsno
4. The saying, "Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"no
5. Party line telephone in your home ex-wife had this in her family home in 1991 in the town of Hickory Plains, Arkansas
6. Rotary dial telephone in your home YES
7. No computers in the home yes
8. Black and white TV shows only in reruns
9. Not having air conditioning in your home. no
10. Personally owning a typewriter. yes
11. Personally owning a phonograph. no, but I did have a portable record player
12. Mimeographed copies in school and I always sniffed the paper.
13. School drills in case of a nuclear bombing yes
14. A stay-at-home mother yes
15. Going "to church" at the drive in movie theater no
16. Out of town homes for embarrassed unwed teenage mothers no
17. Lining up for gasoline every other day depending on your odd/even license plate number. yes, but not as often after we got the Datsun B-210 which had nearly hybrid mpg
18. The draft no
19. No child car seats yes
20. No seat belts no
21. Walking more than a mile home from school no
22. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing earrings yes. I was born with a mole on my left earlobe. Grandfather thought I'd pierced my ear and was ready do disown me and kick me out his house.
23. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing thong underwear. still wouldn't be caught dead wearing a thong.
24. When only military and bikers had tattoos served 8 years in the Navy and I never got a tattoo
25. When the "good guy" in a movie wasn't flawed yes, and when the good guys were Americans unlike today's Hollywood movies.
26. When you could buy a slice of pizza and a soda for under $1 no
27. Being under 18 and not having your own phone. yes.
28. Kids in the neighborhood coming to your house and trying to earn some money shoveling snow or mowing lawns. no, that's what my dad had me for
29. Playing in the street yes
How about having only one telephone and one television in the entire home and the one telephone was rented from the telephone company which was the same company the entire country was under, Ma Bell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies