U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does divorce ruin the "institute of marriage"?
Yes 15 53.57%
No 13 46.43%
Only the gays 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:22 AM

8,743 posts, read 10,245,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Oh I agree. Divorce is the number one enemy of marriage and concerns me even more than the concept of gay marriages.
Wow? Really. For real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 02:23 AM

38,854 posts, read 20,106,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
A gay man ruined the "institute of marriage" for my best high school friend's mom. Her dad came out and left her for his boyfriend when we were in 11th grade.
Somehow this is more "acceptable" in our society than if he had left her for another woman.?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Unhappy people ruin marriages. That comes before divorce.
What many folks neglect to consider before taking their vows is that marriage is NOT a peace of cake and that it takes WORK to keep the marriage alive. There will be times when you are totally gaga over your spouse while other times you may not even LIKE your spouse. Marriage is and should be a lifetime COMMITMENT and should never be taken lightly.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
But teh gheys ruin everything!!1
Sounds like someone else needs her beauty sleep.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Sounds like someone else needs her beauty sleep.
It is 4 30 am. You're right.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Wow? Really. For real?
Our children and society has seen the devastation and upheaval that divorces create. Although I strongly disagree with gay marriages, I'd prefer that to the prevailence of divorce in our society.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 AM

Quote:
It is 4 30 am. You're right.
Might as well face it you are addicted to CD.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Might as well face it you are addicted to CD.
Never denied it, woman.

But on a serious note. I am for the freedom to divorce your spouse BUT personally the ONLY ONLY reason I would ever divorce my spouse is if he was violent and beating me.

If we argue or have a bad day...well tough ****. We gotta work it out, you know? We PROMISED to be there through everything.

But there should be divorce given in the situations of abuse. Especially when there are children involved.

Oh and yeah. You probably already know this. I don't mind gay marriage. More power to them. They deserve to be miserable too.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:24 AM

12,359 posts, read 7,718,898 times
Quote:
Yes ... Especially the no fault divorces. Marriage is meant to be a lifetime commitment but the ease in which folks can obtain a divorce has cheapened the vows to where they are meaningless.
I think it's the other way around. Easy divorce is not the problem, easy marriage is. We should make it harder to get married---required pre-martial counseling.

Quote:
What many folks neglect to consider before taking their vows is that marriage is NOT a peace of cake and that it takes WORK to keep the marriage alive. There will be times when you are totally gaga over your spouse while other times you may not even LIKE your spouse. Marriage is and should be a lifetime COMMITMENT and should never be taken lightly.
I agree to a point but I'd hate a return to back before the Woman's Movement when people were expected to stay in an abusive marriage no matter what.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:32 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,230,482 times
Any abuse in a marriage be it mental, physical, emotional, or sexual which is not solved should allow one to seek temporary separation until the other spouse is willing to change their behaviors, divorce should be the last option. No one should have to remain in a relationship that is unhealthy. The better or for worse for me has to do with health issues, financial ruin or difficulties, affairs, etc. All reasons which do not justify divorce and are capable of being solved if we are really committed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or