U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Palin that her candidacy was "God's plan"?
Yes 11 17.19%
No 34 53.13%
"God" doesn't exist, so her statement is gibberish. 19 29.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:06 AM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times

Advertisements

^^^Saying it is God's plan for them is one thing; saying it was "God's plan" for the country is quite another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 AM

921 posts, read 982,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sarah Palin believed that Sen. John McCain chose her to be his running mate in 2008 because of "God's plan," according to a top political strategist in the Arizona Republican's campaign.

McCain aide: Palin believed candidacy 'God's plan' - washingtonpost.com (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/10/AR2010011002297.html - broken link)

then I think God needs to have his head examined.
Anyone who says something like this needs to have their own head examined.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:13 AM

4,172 posts, read 5,980,082 times
If it WAS god's plan (as Palin thought it was), it turned out he was playing a cruel joke on her, teaching her a lesson while working in his mysterious ways.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Lincoln was hardly a Christian. If anything, he was a deist like some of the "founding fathers".
I was merely saying that it is a greatidea to keep god out of policy decisions - regardless who (Lincoln, Ayatollah, Palin, ...) wants to be on god's side. There are too many gods to contend with, apparently each being a true version if one is to believe the followers.

Last edited by calmdude; 01-11-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 AM

16,134 posts, read 20,762,727 times
It was Gods plan to get rid of the GOP

Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
If it WAS god's plan (as Palin thought it was), it turned out he was playing a cruel joke on her, teaching her a lesson while working in his mysterious ways.....

I was merely saying that it is a greatidea to keep god out of policy decisions - regardless who (Lincoln, Ayatollah, Palin, ...) wants to be on god's side. There are too many gods to contend with, apparently each being a true version if one is to believe the followers.
I think Lincoln thought it through a little more. His thoughts on the issue have a little more nuance than "I got the nomination, therefore, it's God's plan".

Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 AM

11,456 posts, read 12,692,240 times
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= … bsCarousel

Not much of a shocker really, according to Schmidt they (McCain team) "rushed into" choosing Palin as a running mate and soon learned that Palin was extremely ignorant on a "broad scale of national security issues". It appears the vetting process was a McCain lawyer using google to check up on Palin and that was it. During the process they had to teach her about WWI, WWII, the Korean war etc, and she thought that Saddam was behind 911. Even after her "crash course" on history she still didn't understand why there was a North and South Korea. Even as her son was to be shipped off to Iraq, she couldn't answer who exactly he was going to fight. Even before her debate with Biden she kept referring to him as "O'Biden" and the McCain team suggested that she just ask if she could call him Joe as not to screw it up! Scary stuff! At the end of the day I guess we can thank God for going a different route.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:01 AM

22,700 posts, read 16,180,953 times
I have no issue with her saying it was part of God's plan for her own life.

I, however, do not believe that Gov. Palin is in any way part of God's plan for mine.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:05 AM

36,471 posts, read 15,973,573 times
Hello! Anybody home? I'll bet all those commenting on here about this quote did not even read the article the quote is attributed too. Same ole "I hate xxxx.

From the article, ""The governor's descriptions of these events are found in her book, 'Going Rogue.' Her descriptions are accurate," Stapleton said in a statement to "60 Minutes." Stapleton added: "She was there. These reporters were not."

So the reporters making the claims were not present when the supposed statement was made.

You haters are soooo predictable.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,368,912 times
To anybody religious, things that happen during their routines lives are considered "god's plan".

"Thank God, I finally got pregnant"

"Lord have mercy on that homeless person"

"After the car accident, I exclaimed that God must not be ready to punch my ticket."

In Sarah Palin's eyes, her campaign was all part of her individual religious beliefs and her faith tells her that it was God's plan for her to run.

Sorry, I don't see a problem with this. People are free to have their faith. Why do some people on this forum have such a problem with that?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 AM

According to the link, the statement was made by a McCain campaign worker, not by a reporter.

Why does Sarah need a handler like Stapleton if she's so "down home"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies