Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,174,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Overall yes, conservatives are more tolerant. I do agree everyone is probably intolerant of something but that would cover a wide spectrum.
Conservatives are more intolerant on critical issues: restricting gay marriage, restricting and demonizing both birth control and abortion rights, often demonizing those who support peace and oppose invading other countries and calling them unpatriotic; usually more derogatory toward the poor while saying nothing about abuses by the powerful or tax dollars going to Wall Street and used for bonuses.

Liberals tend to be more intolerant from a political correctness standpoint and are sometimes intolerant of how things are named or phrased (like Indian names for sports teams, jokes about various groups/ethnicities, and especially any criticism/jokes about women while the most extreme among them can take shots at men and it is fine).

Both are wrong, but in my experience at least with the liberal they will let you speak your mind even though still not agreeing. With those on the right and especially about war, they will often shout people down and no opportunity to speak is given..their way or the highway. Therefore conservatives are less tolerant, but liberals can also stand to improve. The moderate people are the class act tolerance wise (though not immune).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,732,686 times
And I think Horowitz is a douche bag who hates puppies. What do some blowhard's opinions mean anyway?
Such a dogmatic and stupidly sweeping statement just indicts the accuser.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,829,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
David Horowitz a former leftwing communist states that liberals are intolerant and bigots
He has a good point there, because many liberals are fairly bigoted if you don't agree with their wishy-washy ideology.

A lot of liberals are patently lame and inexperienced with the real world.

Ever wondered why the 'Liberal Party' does not exist, or rarely takes power in places that it does?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,732,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
He has a good point there, because many liberals are fairly bigoted if you don't agree with their wishy-washy ideology.

A lot of liberals are patently lame and inexperienced with the real world.

Ever wondered why the 'Liberal Party' does not exist, or rarely takes power in places that it does?
I think you are almost exactly wrong. The GOP has the monopoly nativist, talk radio spewing know nothings. I've traveled the world and lived abroad several times. Every country I have ever liked (Sweden, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland) has been much closer to the democratic than republican ideals. Intolerant people occur on both sides. A blanket statement by Horowitz is just moronic.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,224,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Conservatives are more intolerant on critical issues: restricting gay marriage, restricting and demonizing both birth control and abortion rights, often demonizing those who support peace and oppose invading other countries and calling them unpatriotic; usually more derogatory toward the poor while saying nothing about abuses by the powerful or tax dollars going to Wall Street and used for bonuses.

Liberals tend to be more intolerant from a political correctness standpoint and are sometimes intolerant of how things are named or phrased (like Indian names for sports teams, jokes about various groups/ethnicities, and especially any criticism/jokes about women while the most extreme among them can take shots at men and it is fine).

Both are wrong, but in my experience at least with the liberal they will let you speak your mind even though still not agreeing. With those on the right and especially about war, they will often shout people down and no opportunity to speak is given..their way or the highway. Therefore conservatives are less tolerant, but liberals can also stand to improve. The moderate people are the class act tolerance wise (though not immune).
Thanks a lot, I see arguments and C-D members attacking each other ahead. One almost identical to this one was locked within the past few days due to pp contests.
Liberals are very intolerant people

Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Thanks a lot, I see arguments and C-D members attacking each other ahead. One almost identical to this one was locked within the past few days due to pp contests.
Liberals are very intolerant people
Is this from the oldest person on the thread?!
Oops, that's probably me.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,224,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Is this from the oldest person on the thread?!
Oops, that's probably me.
How dare we call ourselves old!

I can say this much though, I hope people using the forum would grow up a bit.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:09 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
I do not consider my observation that most Konservative thought is based on ignorance, religious nonsense ot of a deep fear of being ignored to be bigotry or intolerance. I just consider them to be wrong about most everything. Their policies refelect a deep fear of everyone having the access to the money and privelege they have enjoyed. Just simple selfishness writ large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies