U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the United States start using racial / ethnic profiling?
Yes - The time may have come 31 65.96%
No - Absolutely not 15 31.91%
Undecided at this time 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:10 PM

5,856 posts, read 6,917,182 times

Advertisements

I guess Richard Reid doesn't count either since he's a British citizen. There go those darn facts gettin' in the way again. Pesky facts. Maybe we should profile them.....

Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 PM

501 posts, read 1,111,465 times
Since we seem to be limiting the discussion to airliner terrorism and the need to profile only people from the middle east, here is how I count it. 3 Middle Easterners used the planes themselves as devices of terror, successfully. 1 British man used a shoe bomb, failed. 1 Nigerian used an underwear bomb, failed.

So 3 middle easterners to 2 from elsewhere. I'm not sure added security or profiling would have prevented the 3 middle easterners on 9/11 from achieving their goal. They didn't come armed with devices, just the evil lurking inside their hearts and minds.

What other events on board an aircraft, involving some sort of bomb or use of the airplane that could cause the promised destruction of the aircraft that have happened and what was race/ethnic group was the terrorist? I am not including verbal threats, as these are flying out of people's mouth at a high rate, and there doesn't seem to be any racial/ethnic pattern there.

At this point, profiling seems like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly. Once we have a mass casualty event of epic proportions, I'd be the first to say no holds barred, sorry if we sweep up innocents along with the potentially guilty. It isn't a pretty thing to say, but that is how it usually goes, and I am fine with that. War or what it takes to survive when attacked isn't pretty, either.

Profiling in the way suggested here seems like nothing more than a useless act designed to make people feel better by casting too large a net due to too few events, that will result in nothing more than one group of people feeling safer for no good reason, and another group feeling targeted for no good reason.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:54 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman1 View Post
Seeing how "a majority" of terrorists are from the middle east and ARE RELIGIOUS,.
There's an idea. Figure everybody is dangerous in proportion to how religious they are, and profile for that.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 PM

63 posts, read 29,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There's an idea. Figure everybody is dangerous in proportion to how religious they are, and profile for that.
That means us atheists are off the hook

Old 01-09-2010, 08:37 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,939,981 times
No...we can't use profiling. I know most suicidal terrorists these days DO seem to be Middle Eastern muslim males....but there's always the possibility the next spectacular outrage will be the work of an elderly Japanese female...or a group of disgruntled Amish farmers....or even a nun. You never can tell.

I say we take the high road. I know we're all upset about 9-11...but it COULD have been Mormons who did it...no one really convinced me. I fully realize that some day, we may all wake up to find that instead of a pair of skyscrapers being blown up, we may very well find that this time, Denver has simply been 'obliterated'...or maybe Cincinnati or Omaha. And that will be sad, of course...and we'll all be upset, of course...but at least we'll be able to look each other in the eye, because we didn't use profiling.

I don't think we should watch our airports or port cities, either...not when any terrorist with half a brain could simply walk in, over one of our borders....(borders which we've repeatedly announced that we 'can't possibly control').

No profiling...even if it costs us a city or two. Let's do the right thing.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,104,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
When it comes to airline terrorism - they have all been men of Middle Eastern descent.
You serious? Last time I checked, Nigeria was in Africa.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,436,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
When it comes to airline terrorism - they have all been men of Middle Eastern descent.

Why cannot people see this?

Yes, we need to profile every middle eastern person including woman as they will be smart enough to switch to using women once they know we are ahead of them.

Time to do the right thing and protect ourselves.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,104,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Why cannot people see this?

Yes, we need to profile every middle eastern person including woman as they will be smart enough to switch to using women once they know we are ahead of them.

Time to do the right thing and protect ourselves.
You ever seen a Chechen?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,527,111 times
Profiling is a perfectly good tool. There's no reason not to use it.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 PM

638 posts, read 1,026,891 times
I'd like to expound on a previous poster....I believe we should start profiling 6'4" Swedes with blond hair and blue eyes, also, we should check out the 72 year old grandmother from Japan....these are the people that have blown up the World Trade Center, Pentagon, etc, etc, etc..........Oh wait, I forgot, 9-11 was just a Republican hoax according to some.......read some of the responses on here regarding profiling and you can see that this country may be doomed if we don't do something soon.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or