U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should the United States start using racial / ethnic profiling?
Yes - The time may have come 31 65.96%
No - Absolutely not 15 31.91%
Undecided at this time 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2010, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Keonsha, Wisconsin
2,480 posts, read 2,878,860 times
Reputation: 575

Advertisements

yeah, we were all fish at some point in time eons ago,
An introduction to evolution

What do you want to be? bass, carp, salmon?
I'm a bluegill

 
Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
5,121 posts, read 6,209,160 times
Reputation: 2984
YES!, it's a step in the right direction, back to the good old days................think about it.
 
Old 01-10-2010, 11:56 AM
 
19,212 posts, read 12,242,558 times
Reputation: 10544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Lets face facts; it is not Aunt Mildred from Omaha, or the group of college kids on their way to Fort Lauderdale for spring break that is of real concern regarding terrorist threats.

It is Males (some Female), usually younger, who are Middle Eastern decent who are the usual / common threats - with a few exceptions.

Is it time that this nation does what other countries around the world are doing - profiling those boarding various methods of transportation?

It is perhaps distasteful to discuss but, it is quickly coming, IMO.

Your thoughts?

Of course. It is simply absurd to see the TSA frisking old ladies in wheelchairs while not giving a second glance to a young Arab male. Common sense has left the country with the rise of political correctness and liberalism. You don't catch many trout in a goldfish pond, and you don't run across many elderly, white, female terrorists.
 
Old 01-10-2010, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Keonsha, Wisconsin
2,480 posts, read 2,878,860 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Of course. It is simply absurd to see the TSA frisking old ladies in wheelchairs while not giving a second glance to a young Arab male. Common sense has left the country with the rise of political correctness and liberalism. You don't catch many trout in a goldfish pond, and you don't run across many elderly, white, female terrorists.
Oh brother again. Some people just outdo themselves.

If anyone is going to screen people at an airport, they cannot in a free society such as America do so with racial profiling. America as a free nation cannot do that, and it is a constitutionally protected right not to be profiled.
Our 9th. Amendment
Ninth Amendment (http://www.awlawfirm.com/Articles/9thAmendment.htm - broken link)
I do not believe our founding fathers were liberals.

Some people, I won't mention names here, would just love to see our constitutional rights circumvented for their own reasons.

Terrorists come in many shapes, sizes, colours, ethnicity, and genders.

Female Terrorism (http://www.apsu.edu/oconnort/3400/3400lect03a.htm - broken link)

Our Goverment already racially profiles everyone, if they do not, why is it when official Government forms are filled out, your ethnicity is asked? That is profiling.

Last edited by Hombre57; 01-10-2010 at 02:11 PM..
 
Old 01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,216,038 times
Reputation: 823
Absolutely not. I almost got the police called on for taking a nap in my car in the park after I was studying for the GMATs. They felt that an African American male in a car by himself might be on drugs (when the reality of the situation was that I finished studying for an hour and had 2 hours before my next tutoring job with autistic children). It's appalling that people hold on to stereotypes.

I feel that we need to maintain the same level of scrutiny for all people. I think that there has been too many exceptions to the rules and too many people falsely accussed simply based on the use of racial profiling.
 
Old 01-10-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,436,346 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Oh brother again. Some people just outdo themselves.

If anyone is going to screen people at an airport, they cannot in a free society such as America do so with racial profiling. America as a free nation cannot do that, and it is a constitutionally protected right not to be profiled.
Our 9th. Amendment
Ninth Amendment (http://www.awlawfirm.com/Articles/9thAmendment.htm - broken link)
I do not believe our founding fathers were liberals.

Some people, I won't mention names here, would just love to see our constitutional rights circumvented for their own reasons.

Terrorists come in many shapes, sizes, colours, ethnicity, and genders.

SO FAR 99.9% of them have not been.


Female Terrorism (http://www.apsu.edu/oconnort/3400/3400lect03a.htm - broken link)

Our Goverment already racially profiles everyone, if they do not, why is it when official Government forms are filled out, your ethnicity is asked? That is profiling.
So you want to give non American citizens rights that we have once again?

Not, profile the heck out of them and keep us safe.

Please stop protecting terrorist. And stop acting like you want to use the constitution one some cases but then turn around and do not say a thing when Obamie abuses it.

Grow up and get up with the times.

We need to profile every single middle eastern man, woman who is over 18 years old period. If they have nothing to hide then it wont be a problem will it.
 
Old 01-10-2010, 02:28 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,216,038 times
Reputation: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
So you want to give non American citizens rights that we have once again?

Not, profile the heck out of them and keep us safe.

Please stop protecting terrorist. And stop acting like you want to use the constitution one some cases but then turn around and do not say a thing when Obamie abuses it.

Grow up and get up with the times.

We need to profile every single middle eastern man, woman who is over 18 years old period. If they have nothing to hide then it wont be a problem will it.
The majority of Middle Easterners in America are upper middle class, college educated, and Christian. So what would we accomplish by profiling EVERY middle eastern man and woman? The majority that come to our nation fit the profile of Middle Eastern Americans.
 
Old 01-10-2010, 02:49 PM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,133,461 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Absolutely not. I almost got the police called on for taking a nap in my car in the park after I was studying for the GMATs. They felt that an African American male in a car by himself might be on drugs (when the reality of the situation was that I finished studying for an hour and had 2 hours before my next tutoring job with autistic children). It's appalling that people hold on to stereotypes.

I feel that we need to maintain the same level of scrutiny for all people. I think that there has been too many exceptions to the rules and too many people falsely accussed simply based on the use of racial profiling.
I also said no. If we start to racially profile everyone, where does it stop? Before long we wont worry about terrorists, because we are too afraid of the government going after us. Here is an example of profiling that I went through; 10 years ago I had a full red beard and long hair to my waist, I could not go into many stores or shops without being scrutinized and followed to make sure I did not steal anything. I shaved off my beard and cut my hair very short and the same businesses treated me with a different attitude. They would welcome me and tell me to feel free to look around and I would not be followed about. These were the same stores and shops that I had been shopping at and the patrons knew me before and after. There is already too much paranoia going around.
 
Old 01-10-2010, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Keonsha, Wisconsin
2,480 posts, read 2,878,860 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
So you want to give non American citizens rights that we have once again?

Not, profile the heck out of them and keep us safe.

Please stop protecting terrorist. And stop acting like you want to use the constitution one some cases but then turn around and do not say a thing when Obamie abuses it.

Grow up and get up with the times.

We need to profile every single middle eastern man, woman who is over 18 years old period. If they have nothing to hide then it wont be a problem will it.
I didn't say that.

I'm not protecting terrorists.

I'm not.
The constitution protects every American's rights.
It is a shame in this day and age when we thought we have come so far in the battles of racial profiling, but, as one city-data user has indicated, it still happens, and that is sad and sick.
I am saying, that if the screeners are going to do their jobs appropriately, they should be scanning everyone, even little old ladies in wheelchairs.

I'm not too sure I appreciate your condescending remarks either.

No, we do not need to PROFILE EVERY MIDDLE-EASTERN MAN OR WOMAN.
We need to be equal in screening, unless you think we should run our Government like Israel does.

Air Port Profiling as Counter Terrorism: Terror Aviation in Israel, 1968-2006 (http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/2/0/0/4/5/p200459_index.html - broken link)

If I flew on aircraft, or was going into a secure area, I would expect to be properly screened as everyone else should too. Even the 95 y.o. ladies.

BTW, I'm not turning anything around. You seem to be the one twisting a logical discussion into something detrimental.
 
Old 01-10-2010, 02:54 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,676 posts, read 74,663,884 times
Reputation: 48195
profiling is a law enforcement right and always has been.
if a rapist is loose in the community we want to know what he looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top