Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the United States start using racial / ethnic profiling?
Yes - The time may have come 31 65.96%
No - Absolutely not 15 31.91%
Undecided at this time 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Lets face facts; it is not Aunt Mildred from Omaha, or the group of college kids on their way to Fort Lauderdale for spring break that is of real concern regarding terrorist threats.

It is Males (some Female), usually younger, who are Middle Eastern decent who are the usual / common threats - with a few exceptions.

Is it time that this nation does what other countries around the world are doing - profiling those boarding various methods of transportation?

It is perhaps distasteful to discuss but, it is quickly coming, IMO.

Your thoughts?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:39 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
The Feds have used profiling for years.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Call it what you wish...racial profiling is the term used today.

If people of a purple color skin are the ones who are being terrorists then they should all be excluded from entering the US in order to STOP any attacks even with the expense of offending some.

It may be harsh and offensive to many honest purple colored people but then again what is the price to save 250 lives on a airplane.

The time has come where the PC has to be pushed to the wayside.

Lets face the reality...when a lion enters your home with a snarl do you say "who in my home do you wish to kill"? You STOP it before it even comes close.

Steve

Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,242 times
My dh asked me this the other day, and I told him it would be pretty complicated.

I said I guess we are going to start with white guys of a certain age. Timothy McVeigh (168 dead in OK City) being just one name in a long line of white guy terrorists coming heinous acts in the name of their political and/or religious beliefs. I wonder which list would be longer - one that listed the white guys who committed terriorist acts in the name of their cause on US soil or the list of Middle Easterners? I wonder which group has succeeded in killing more in the name of their cause on US soil - the white guys or the Middle East guys?

I've currently read things on white christian boards that horrify me as to the acts they are willing to do to get their way in this world. Same goes on islamic type boards. I'd prefer we figure out a way to get all terrorists no matter from where they are springing, before they kill, but I am not sure how this can be done. If there is no way based on some kind of logic, then we have a whole bunch more people that need serious profiling other than just the Middle Easterners.

If you are going to do this with the biggest net result in rounding up the crazies, you really have to make sure you target all the crazies, not just the ones who stand out because they are obviously from a foreign country. I am actually not against profiling for those with criminal intent, it has been done before and will be done again. But I am hoping it will make some sense this time around or it is going to be another useless act performed to make us feel safe, without actually making us any safer.

Which might be the best we can do. Really, a free country isn't going to do any more than just dip their toe into things like profiling-lite, at least not until someone really big and horrific happens. Something that threatens our society and very existence. as a single nation In the face of that, no country is going to commit suicide by just playing by politically correct rules for the duration. Doesn't happen. But at that point, it will be interesting to see who is subject to the profiling/intern camp net being slung around them. I really don't know anymore - scary times right now; angry violent people itching to act out on their particular brand of politics or religion everywhere.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 01-09-2010 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 01:08 PM

When it comes to airline terrorism - they have all been men of Middle Eastern descent.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Make sure you're armed yourself, because you never know when you will be walking down the street and see a middle-eastern male who slipped through, and you'll have to kill him yourself before he kills you.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Make sure you're armed yourself, because you never know when you will be walking down the street and see a middle-eastern male who slipped through, and you'll have to kill him yourself before he kills you.
Thanks - but, I (and my wife) are armed (we carry concealed)

Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Thanks - but, I (and my wife) are armed (we carry concealed)
Thank goodness---we're finally safe.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:55 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
Quote:
Such naiveity. The only person who is guaranteed to protect you is you. I carry concealed a nice 38. snub. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
May I remind you that this is the Great Debates section - you may wish to review the special rules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies