Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the United States start using racial / ethnic profiling?
Yes - The time may have come 31 65.96%
No - Absolutely not 15 31.91%
Undecided at this time 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
When it comes to airline terrorism - they have all been men of Middle Eastern descent.
What about that Nigerian. Has he slipped your mind already?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:02 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What about that Nigerian. Has he slipped your mind already?
Nope.

He was one that could have / should have, been profiled

Old 01-09-2010, 02:05 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
How about Christians or Jews of Middle Eastern decent? They get excluded also?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Nope.

He was one that could have / should have, been profiled
You said he was of Middle-eastern descent. You were wrong.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You said he was of Middle-eastern descent. You were wrong.
Did you include the Muslim connection??

Old 01-09-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
How about Christians or Jews of Middle Eastern decent? They get excluded also?
I did not say "excluded". I said "profiled" and scrutinized more thoroughly.

Or, should we simply go the system used in Isreal (El Al)?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:41 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,242 times
Quote:
When it comes to airline terrorism - they have all been men of Middle Eastern descent.
As the saying goes, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

A profiling effort that only includes a few members of a particular racial/religious group known to use airliners to commit terrorist acts simply ignores other racial/religious groups who may chose to do so in the future, perhaps even encouraged by the success of the other racial groups' efforts. Might even encourage those terrorists to recruit people who do not fit the profile, at least as far as race/country of origin are concerned.

How would we stop another Richard Reid? He was born in England and grew up in South London, a British citizen since birth. His dad was Jamaican, which isn't middle eastern either. I've read that the Nigerian wished to follow Richard Reid's example - perhaps we are seeing a shift from the typical middle eastern use of airliners to commit terrorist acts, to a broader group of like minded people who cannot be easily profiled.

If we are at the stage where we must profile, then recent history tells us that we will only be eliminating a portion of the risk if our focus is only on people from the middle east. You could argue that is a good start, but if we are going to go down this profiling path, it certainly can't be the only profiled group if we hope to be effective at preventing airline terrorism.

P.S. reflecting more broadly on this, the Beslan school terrorists in Russia were not from the middle east either, though they were muslims. While they did not use airliners to commit their immoral acts against school children, I wouldn't want them to show up on an airline flight with me with bad intent in their hearts. Yet with this middle eastern based profiling focus, they would slip on undetected.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 01-09-2010 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
You said middle eastern descent. Only a quarter of the Muslims in the world live in the middle east. Indonesia alone has more Muslims than the entire Middle East.

You said:
Quote:
You were wrong. The last one was Nigerian, which is not in the Middle east.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:51 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,242 times
Quote:
I too have gone further afield on this than the OP indicated - according to the title, the debate was regarding racial/ethnic profling.

Not religious profiling.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 PM

63 posts, read 37,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
I too have gone further afield on this than the OP indicated - according to the title, the debate was regarding racial/ethnic profling.

Not religious profiling.
But hey, I can generalize too! Seeing how "a majority" of terrorists are from the middle east and ARE RELIGIOUS, then perhaps we should have everyone provide their religion card at the gate.

I think this would really trouble the christians and jews. But hey! you never know when you'll stop a christian or jew from blowing up a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies