Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:23 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You left off the Protestant-Catholic violence in Northern Ireland of 30-40 years ago; the British Isles actually have a long history of such. Christian against Christian.

Also the Crusades.
Don't forget about the "Christian" KKK
Foxnews silence about them is deafening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,587 times
Quote:
You left off the Protestant-Catholic violence in Northern Ireland of 30-40 years ago; the British Isles actually have a long history of such. Christian against Christian.

Also the Crusades.
Relevance of the violence in Ireland 40 years ago to what's happening in the US today is ... ?? Not to mention that was politically motivated and not exported world-wide terrorism.

Relevance of the Crusades?

You're reaching if you have to go back that far. This is an issue of religious ideology.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Don't forget about the "Christian" KKK
Foxnews silence about them is deafening
I didn't realize there was a Christian KKK. I thought it was just the KKK. And disgusting as they are, are they killing 1000's of people worldwide?

Old 01-09-2010, 09:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I didn't realize there was a Christian KKK. I thought it was just the KKK. And disgusting as they are, are they killing 1000's of people worldwide?
The KKK was not a "Christian" organization (not by a long shot), but one had to be a Christian to belong.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:32 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
Quote:
Haha! Good thing I wasn't drinking that beer when I read this. I don't really know how you can equate Christianity or Judaism with Islam. Two are peace loving, tolerant religions and the other is based on the jihadist teachings of a polygamist pedophile warlord, Muhammed.
Judaism is peace loving and tolerant? That's a new one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
At anyrate, it can certainly be said that all religions have engaged in terrorism throughout the ages. Luckily most other religions have evolved. It's time for Islam to do the same.
To an extent, yes, however the abortion clinic attacks I quoted, not to mention attacks on gays etc done by fundamental Christians in the US, and around the world even today, does indicate that they haven't crossed the finish line yet.

As far as Islam needing to evolve, I think it's more crucial that predominantly Muslim country's culture evolve, if you read the Koran, it's no more violent nor peace loving than the Bible.

The idea that Muslims by nature or religious indoctrination are more violent than others is wrong and most likely based on the ongoing media hysteria considering few had any real concern about them before it started.

The culture in many predominantly Muslim countries however, leaves something to be desired.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Relevance of the violence in Ireland 40 years ago to what's happening in the US today is ... ?? Not to mention that was politically motivated and not exported world-wide terrorism.

Relevance of the Crusades?

You're reaching if you have to go back that far. This is an issue of religious ideology.
The IRA violence spread to England from Ireland.

Silly me, I thought we were talking about religious violence!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:37 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
Quote:

Also the Crusades.
I did that intentionally as the violence in Northern Ireland, for many of those involved was not based on beliefs, but political and to a point criminal motives. The conflict started with religion, and without a doubt had that element in it, up until present time, but I decided it best to leave it for now.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
The IRA violence spread to England from Ireland.

Silly me, I thought we were talking about religious violence!
Yes, it is religious violence, but it was politically motivated within the UK. That has zilch to do with the rest of the world, and even less to do with what's going on in the US today. That was my point.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Well no other religion has the same level of fanaticism and radicalism to the degree that Islam does.
You mean in this particular period of history.

Quote:
I saw this on the news too and was overjoyed. From the newsclip I saw, there were about 20 or so protesters holding signs and chanting. I wanted to go cheer them on, it was so heartwarming to see.
Your heart could have been warm as far back as 2001, which is my point. What's yours?

Quote:
Ovcatto, where's my beer? You sharing? Keep the popcorn though... gets stuck in the teeth.
Pieces of wisdom is all I am sharing these days.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
As ovcatto said, there's been Muslims condemning terror all along, in fact, most of them do, the Imams condemns it in the mosques etc., it just doesn't fit in with the media driven hysteria that's all, so no one ever reported it much.
In my area, there has been an outcry by Muslims against terrorism for about eight years now. They've worked with other religious bodies to form groups to foster understanding and work together for social issues. I know a couple of individual Muslims who survived the WTC attacks and went out THAT NIGHT to confront a group celebrating in a NJ city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies