Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

What do you mean FINALLY? I have always been aware that many Muslim groups are against terrorism.

I can't believe so many people think a vast majority of Muslims support terrorism. Silliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
As for your question, no, historically speaking I don't.

I am, however, well aware of the violence and intolerance displayed by some Muslims in certain Muslim cultures.

The importance here though, I think, is to be aware of the difference between religious act and cultural or political acts carried out under a "veil" of religion.

Islam itself is no more violent than, say, Christianity. The problem at hand is underdeveloped cultures. Part of the world sped ahead and part were left behind. What we see, when it comes to violence and intolerance in predominantly Muslim countries, is cultures who's yet to evolve to the level of non violence and acceptance we claim in the west.

Historically speaking, we weren't much better off 200 years ago, or even 100 years ago regarding some things.

We can say "catch up with the times" change your culture, but we can say the same to Christian religious radicals (I'm using the term radical somewhat loosely here) in our western world today, when protesting heavily against Same sex Adoption, Gay Marriage so on and so forth.
What we cannot do though, is force the evolution of culture, we can encourage it, we can demand it, but not force it, that has to happen within the culture itself, for there to be any lasting result.

My point is; The problem isn't Islam itself, nor the Muslims who follow the religion, and the greater majority that do, oppose oppression, it' also very important to remember that what might seem oppressive to you and me, is not always what it appears to be.

The problem is the cultures of some predominantly Muslim countries, the social inequalities between those and our culture (without getting into that too deeply) and the reminiscence of acts carried out by our predecessors, and acts carried out by us today.

By looking at this problem for what it is, a cultural socio-political issue, we open up a whole new world of possible solutions, while removing some of the stigma that helps feed the conflict.

Fact of the matter is that a large majority of the Muslim population, especially in our western culture, have spoken out against the terrorist attacks, taking place in the last decade. They speak out against it in their arenas, and using their spokespersons, such as The Muslim Council of Britain's Secretary General Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari, in this press release, dated 12.28.09

The MCB is the UK's largest Muslim umbrella body with around 500 affiliated national, regional and local organizations, mosques, charities and schools, and as such, they represent a very large group of Muslims when they stand up against terror being committed in the name of god.
I continue to be utterly amazed at the what people will come in here and post with a straight face, expecting to be taken seriously.

Come in here to put a happy face on Islam using tactics like condemning "Christian religious radicals" for "protesting heavily against Same sex Adoption, Gay Marriage". As though none of us are aware of the Muslim stance on same....as though it is kindly and tolerant compared to Christianity.

This is just beyond the pale. Personally, I have no interest in or use for any organized religion. But I sure as hell know which of them is a greater disruption to people trying to go about their lives in a peaceful manner today. And I sure as hell know which one has more people dancing joyfully in the streets when one of theirs kills innocents in the name of their God.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I continue to be utterly amazed at the what people will come in here and post with a straight face, expecting to be taken seriously.

Come in here to put a happy face on Islam using tactics like condemning "Christian religious radicals" for "protesting heavily against Same sex Adoption, Gay Marriage". As though none of us are aware of the Muslim stance on same....as though it is kindly and tolerant compared to Christianity.
Could you kindly tell me where exactly I said such a thing?

I don't see how advocating a sober discussion that looks at more than one side of a complex conflict with deep historical roots in culture, socio-political issues as well as religion is wrong.

I never condemned Christian religious radicals (to any greater extent than Muslim radicals), I only noted their existence, in this case, to highlight the fact that we do not live in a perfectly tolerant and inclusive society either, and as such, we might want to keep our head straight when criticizing others.

If the only part of my post you had a problem with was a tiny comment about Christians, a point, slightly beside the general discussion anyway, then I'll assume you read, and understood the rest of it, without complaints, as you've not come with any fact or information based rebuttal to anything else in the post.

I can only assume then that my main point drove home, and with that, I am happy.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:42 AM

1,133 posts, read 712,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
What do you mean FINALLY? I have always been aware that many Muslim groups are against terrorism.

I can't believe so many people think a vast majority of Muslims support terrorism. Silliness.
I doubt that most do think a vast majority support terrorism. Problem is the vast majority is not vocal against it. I have found it disgusting of Muslim spokesmen and women, that when interviewed they would rather be complicit in reporting the problems between east and west than to denounce it. This is a squirrly complicit apporach and serves to support rather than reject.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:47 AM

1,133 posts, read 712,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

This is just beyond the pale. Personally, I have no interest in or use for any organized religion. But I sure as hell know which of them is a greater disruption to people trying to go about their lives in a peaceful manner today. And I sure as hell know which one has more people dancing joyfully in the streets when one of theirs kills innocents in the name of their God.
Kudos to you Crown, well said.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yes, it is religious violence, but it was politically motivated within the UK. That has zilch to do with the rest of the world, and even less to do with what's going on in the US today. That was my point.
As if the Muslim violence isn't politically motivated!

Old 01-10-2010, 06:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As if the Muslim violence isn't politically motivated!
Politically motivated yes --- but lets not forget its justified by the Koran. I don't believe the IRA ever pretended that St Patrick thought their methods were OK

Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Politically motivated yes --- but lets not forget its justified by the Koran. I don't believe the IRA ever pretended that St Patrick thought their methods were OK
Justified by the people who do it.

Anyone can read any "holy" book and find justification for pretty much anything, if you pick and choose.

Islam is not the problem here, extremists are.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:23 PM

63 posts, read 37,027 times
YAWN!

You really think if a couple or thousands of muslims condemn terrorist activities that terrorism will STOP?

I have a bridge to sell you.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
If the only part of my post you had a problem with was a tiny comment about Christians, a point, slightly beside the general discussion anyway, then I'll assume you read, and understood the rest of it, without complaints, as you've not come with any fact or information based rebuttal to anything else in the post.

I can only assume then that my main point drove home, and with that, I am happy.
Well I have a problem with your post too, and I think you are making the wrong assumptions about the poster. The poster said they have no interest in organized religion.

I don't either and I agree with his post 100% I'm not a Christian to begin with. One think is being intolerant and another thing is being barbaric and stone people to death in the name of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies