Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the pilot do the right thing? And if you were stranded on a desert island with only Lovey, what
Yes, the pilot absolutely did the right thing. We cannot be too careful in this day and age. 6 37.50%
No, the pilot totally overreacted. He should've kept going and had the guy taken into custody in Maui at most. 6 37.50%
I'm not sure what the pilot should've done, that's a tough call. 1 6.25%
If Lovey were my only companion, I'd make the most of it. Why not, she seems like a nice enough lady. 8 50.00%
If Lovey were my only companion, I'd opt for the sharks and swim out to sea. 0 0%
If Lovey were my only companion, I'd sacrifice myself to the native headhunters 2 12.50%
Something else. 1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:30 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times

Advertisements

Passenger in Oregon to Hawaii air incident faces charges - CNN.com

"Federal authorities filed a criminal complaint Friday against a 56-year-old man whose scrawled note invoking "Gilligan's Island" led a Hawaiian Airlines pilot to turn around a Maui-bound flight and return Wednesday to Portland, Oregon.

. . .

"About 45 minutes into the flight, Johnson gave a comment card in a sealed envelope to a flight attendant, who opened it, read it and gave it to the lead flight attendant, who then gave it to the captain, it said:
""I thought I was going to die, we were so high up," the card said. "I thought to myself: I hope we don't crash and burn or worse yet landing in the ocean, living through it, only to be eaten by sharks, or worse yet, end up on some place like Gilligan's Island, stranded, or worse yet, be eaten by a tribe of headhunters, speaking of headhunters, why do they just eat outsiders, and not the family members? Strange ... and what if the plane ripped apart in mid-flight and we plumited (sic) to earth, landed on Gilligan's Island and then lived through it, and the only woman there was Mrs. Thurston Howell III? No Mary Anne (my favorite) no Ginger, just Lovey! If it were just her, I think I'd opt for the sharks, maybe the headhunters.""
After reading this note, the pilot turned the plane around and went back to Oregon!

So after you're done wiping away the tears of hysterical laughter, what do you think the pilot should have done? A pilot friend of mine says turning the plane around for what is obviously a smart-aleck joke was massively ridiculous.

As a secondary question, if you were stranded on Gilligan's Island with only Lovey, what would you do?

Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Pretty stupid for them to turn the plane around for that. About as equally stupid is why a passenger would even give such a message (or any random comment) in a sealed envelope to the flight attendant in the first place.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post

Pretty stupid for them to turn the plane around for that. About as equally stupid is why a passenger would even give such a message (or any random comment) in a sealed envelope to the flight attendant in the first place.
He was apparently ticked off that he couldn't stow his carry-on under the seat in front of him because he was seated in an exit row. After making a ruckus over that, 45 minutes later is when he handed over the note.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:38 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Passenger in Oregon to Hawaii air incident faces charges - CNN.com

"Federal authorities filed a criminal complaint Friday against a 56-year-old man whose scrawled note invoking "Gilligan's Island" led a Hawaiian Airlines pilot to turn around a Maui-bound flight and return Wednesday to Portland, Oregon.

. . .

"About 45 minutes into the flight, Johnson gave a comment card in a sealed envelope to a flight attendant, who opened it, read it and gave it to the lead flight attendant, who then gave it to the captain, it said:
""I thought I was going to die, we were so high up," the card said. "I thought to myself: I hope we don't crash and burn or worse yet landing in the ocean, living through it, only to be eaten by sharks, or worse yet, end up on some place like Gilligan's Island, stranded, or worse yet, be eaten by a tribe of headhunters, speaking of headhunters, why do they just eat outsiders, and not the family members? Strange ... and what if the plane ripped apart in mid-flight and we plumited (sic) to earth, landed on Gilligan's Island and then lived through it, and the only woman there was Mrs. Thurston Howell III? No Mary Anne (my favorite) no Ginger, just Lovey! If it were just her, I think I'd opt for the sharks, maybe the headhunters.""
After reading this note, the pilot turned the plane around and went back to Oregon!

So after you're done wiping away the tears of hysterical laughter, what do you think the pilot should have done? A pilot friend of mine says turning the plane around for what is obviously a smart-aleck joke was massively ridiculous.

As a secondary question, if you were stranded on Gilligan's Island with only Lovey, what would you do?
Hmm, lol.....well, to be fair at least he gave the card to the flight attendant, it wasn't a secret. I know how I am when I fly, but then again I take a LOT of pills so I can just drift into dreamland right away so as not to think about planes crashing. I would rather have precaution taken than not...although, when I flew back to the U.S. one time, there was a crazy woman who would not shut up & just kept yelling & screaming. She actually woke me up from my drug-induced sleep. I asked to my seatmate "why the hell isn't that psycho handcuffed, for the saneness of the other passengers???" Who knows, but man that was a bad flight once I woke up & had to listen to her. I should've beaten her myself...sorry, that's rude but I just started thinking about that flight. Bad times. Anyway, in terms of Lovey.....I could stand her, why not? Just walk away from her, right? LOL, that's a fun question though.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:45 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Hmm, lol.....well, to be fair at least he gave the card to the flight attendant, it wasn't a secret. I know how I am when I fly, but then again I take a LOT of pills so I can just drift into dreamland right away so as not to think about planes crashing. I would rather have precaution taken than not...although, when I flew back to the U.S. one time, there was a crazy woman who would not shut up & just kept yelling & screaming. She actually woke me up from my drug-induced sleep. I asked to my seatmate "why the hell isn't that psycho handcuffed, for the saneness of the other passengers???" Who knows, but man that was a bad flight once I woke up & had to listen to her. I should've beaten her myself...sorry, that's rude but I just started thinking about that flight. Bad times. Anyway, in terms of Lovey.....I could stand her, why not? Just walk away from her, right? LOL, that's a fun question though.

It's much better to be relaxed during a catastrophe - they say it improves your chance of survival.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:48 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Guess I'll be one of few here - but IMHO, based on recent events, the photo of this guy, his previous actions regarding his stuff under the exit-row seat, yea, I'd turn the plane around - or at the least put this guy under VERY close watch the rest of the trip. Put it this way, me, I'm a smart arsed person at times, very little to no patience most times, but I know durn well that joking or even pretending to even come close to joking about certain various topics [bombs, explosions, etc.] during any time of the flying process is NOT advantageous for a person's future health and time. This passenger, totally foolishly dumb actions.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:59 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
"You can't say bomb on an airplane sir".

"Bomb bubba bomb bubba bomb bomb bomb"

Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 AM

757 posts, read 802,949 times
What in the World did this person think would be the crew's response to such a note? The pilot probably thought he had an unstable nut case on his plane. Referring to the plane crashing while in flight is an obvious red flag.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:20 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
"You can't say bomb on an airplane sir".

"Bomb bubba bomb bubba bomb bomb bomb"
Funny, in twisted Monty Python kinda way [which I do love btw], but please when you do such singing, chanting, please do it on a flight not anywhere near one I'm on... thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
What in the World did this person think would be the crew's response to such a note? The pilot probably thought he had an unstable nut case on his plane. Referring to the plane crashing while in flight is an obvious red flag.
From reading accounts, goofy guy thought it would maybe earn him some frequent flier miles - because those in the head office would find it so amusing...

Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post

As ShadowCaver pointed out, he expected to get some laughs and some frequent flyer points. He claims that he didn't think the flight attendants would open his sealed note during the flight -- that those things were collected and turned over to some back office folks who read them later. It does seem to have been written mostly in the past tense (though the grammar and punctuation is so bad, one can't be certain). But if that was his thinking, why hand it over less than an hour into the flight? Why not hand it to the person standing at the exit door after you've landed? Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies