U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,654,879 times

Advertisements

Yes firstly because fossil fuel is a finite resource that will eventually run out.

We also won't be indirectly providing funds or rationalizations for groups that want to destroy us.

We should break our ME oil dependency, perfect technology such as this (http://www.seawatergreenhouse.com/meetingtheneed.html - broken link)and they would be dependent on us. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 AM

8,640 posts, read 7,956,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You've got to be kidding. Michigan doesn't even have a problem with illegal immigrants, not like the southern and western states.

And if you're talking about unions speaking up about changing the laws to give workers here on LEGAL work visas the same rights and protections as American workers, that actually helps American workers. As long as businesses can bring immigrants in on temporary work visas to work at a lesser pay than American workers, and without the same work place benefits or safety protections, that hurts American workers. It also encourages MORE immigration because it provides jobs that wouldn't be there if employers had to give them the same work place protections and pay as American workers. No union is trying to help ILLEGAL immigrants. Get your facts straight.

See this is how the left thinks. They believe a LEGAL citizen is better off in the welfare or unemployment line than working

Get your facts straight. SEIU was on TV bragging that most of their employees are illegal immigrants and they get the same benefits. You don't really think a union will give a legal worker benefits and they illegal working beside them nothing. Geezeee! SEIU want s the illegal immigrants because they will sign up without thought which puts mone in the unions pockets.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:08 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,512,930 times
I take it that everyone in opposition to this type of spending is also against any state or federal tax subsidies given to private industry?

Lets ban all forms of corporate welfare.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,328,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Get your facts straight.
Wow! Once that happens, the right-wing ceases to exist entirely...

Old 01-10-2010, 05:09 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,782,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Wow! Once that happens, the right-wing ceases to exist entirely...
Too bad the poster you quoted didn't their facts straight.

Unions have been aiding and supporting the illegal movement for years.

All in the name of increased membership rolls.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,328,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
According to obama, that $2.3 Billion for 17,000 "green jobs" comes to approx $135,000 PER JOB. Now, I'd say that's a bit steep and far beyond what the return investment would be.
Really? What sort of deep analysis led you to those conclusions? If $135K is somehow too high, what do you think creating a new job actually ought to cost? Any clue? Any clue at all? And what did you do to forecast the future return on this investment in so-called green jobs? Did you do anything at all, or were your words based on absolutely nothing?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:17 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,099,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Think about this - 40,000 news green jobs by 2020.....in ten years...ONLY 40,000 jobs. Compared to the hundreds of thousands that have been lost....it seems ridiculously inconsequential.

Why can't she be held accountable? She's the governor...she is ultimately accountable and answerable to the economy of the state she runs.
She was left a bigger mess by Engler and the big 3 than Bush left Obama. The big 3 management destroyed Michigan and then the execs got bailed out. She hasn't done a great job, but with a republican legislature and the unions fighting her every step, she's done ok given the mess she was left.

In response to the green jobs, changing industries and developing new ones is going to be expensive. Just like new product development always is.

I for one would like to see production of energy that we can control and doesn't require production of substances toxic to human beings. (CO2, nuclear waste, etc). Besides, domestic drilling is just another gift to the oil industry, they don't need any more presents from the U.S.

when the oil and coal does run out, it would be nice to be ahead of the game, wouldn't it?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:41 AM

34,599 posts, read 33,585,802 times
I have a question about this part of the article linked to in the OP:

ď'Building a robust clean-energy sector is how we will create the jobs of the future ó jobs that pay well and canít be outsourced,' President Obama said Friday."

Didn't I read somewhere, months ago, that all of the parts for green technology are still going to made overseas or the end result/product of green jobs would be too darn expensive if made here, and that because of that, there really aren't all that many green jobs to be had? If I remember correctly, at the time, a wind farm was used as an example of parts coming from outside the US. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

If it's still not manufacturing jobs, what kind of jobs are they and how do they match up with the type of worker who is unemployed?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 AM

8,640 posts, read 7,956,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

ď'Building a robust clean-energy sector is how we will create the jobs of the future ó jobs that pay well and canít be outsourced,' President Obama said Friday."

Didn't I read somewhere, months ago, that all of the parts for green technology are still going to made overseas or the end result/product of green jobs would be too darn expensive if made here, and that because of that, there really aren't all that many green jobs to be had? If I remember correctly, at the time, a wind farm was used as an example of parts coming from outside the US. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

If it's still not manufacturing jobs, what kind of jobs are they and how do they match up with the type of worker who is unemployed?

You are correct. There was the owner/CEO of a windfarm company on TV that got big bucks (our bucks) to create more jobs. Just so happens those green jobs are going to China. He seemed so proud of creating those jobs for China with our tax dollars and stated they would be too expensive to make here. This is all another scam to rape our tax dollars and funnel them overseas. Spreading the wealth.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 AM

12,359 posts, read 7,720,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Michigan has a website (No Worker Left Behind) that can answer most of your questions. If you check it out, click on both the 'Green Jobs' report and the 'Skills Alliance' report.

No Worker Left Behind - Green Jobs Initiative (http://www.michigan.gov/nwlb/0,1607,7-242-49026---,00.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies