U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 PM

1,701 posts, read 3,028,967 times

Advertisements

Oh wait OMG I almost forgot. You know I try to base my opinions on personal experiences and this one really stands out, I can't believe that I'd forgotten about this one.

The MTA strike a few years ago. The MTA realizes it has a few extra million dollars in the bank. The Union decides screw it were goin' for the money. Not that that money would be spent on infrastructure improvements or rainy day savings. Rodga saw CHA-CHING!!!. Screw the taxpayer we want the money.

So they go on strike SCREWING every working man woman and school going child who takes public trans. Why? Cause our employees are starving to death. However in a PR debacle, instead of the common man rising up and fighting city hall. They see this for what it really is, a money grab. The union ends up settling for a worse deal than when they started. Bang up job Rodg!! Way to fight for the working man!!! CROCK!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,776,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Oh wait OMG I almost forgot. You know I try to base my opinions on personal experiences and this one really stands out, I can't believe that I'd forgotten about this one.

The MTA strike a few years ago. The MTA realizes it has a few extra million dollars in the bank. The Union decides screw it were goin' for the money. Not that that money would be spent on infrastructure improvements or rainy day savings. Rodga saw CHA-CHING!!!. Screw the taxpayer we want the money.

So they go on strike SCREWING every working man woman and school going child who takes public trans. Why? Cause our employees are starving to death. However in a PR debacle, instead of the common man rising up and fighting city hall. They see this for what it really is, a money grab. The union ends up settling for a worse deal than when they started. Bang up job Rodg!! Way to fight for the working man!!! CROCK!!!!
They are government/public workers, that's why they had some power to strike...and won!

Here, an article as of recently -- Judge grants transit workers' 11.3% raises, despite MTA financial woes

Here -- The Metropolitan Transportation Authority had urged Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Peter Sherwood to toss the contract, contending the arbitration panel that drafted it had made legal and factual errors in fashioning it earlier this year

( and here -- National Labor Relations Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Board's jurisdiction is limited to private sector employers and the United States Postal Service; other than Postal Service employees, it has no authority over labor relations disputes involving governmental, railroad and airline employees covered by the Adamson Railway Labor Act, or agricultural employees. )

Sherwood's decision was released Friday, a day before the Daily News reported the MTA is considering ending a program providing free or discounted MetroCards to about 555,000 students.

The PR-propaganda assault, it seems, has already started for MTA....

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 01-10-2010 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
Best thing about the ‘Anti-Union’ website, it identifies biggest threats to the Unions so now I can be sure to support..
I think you don't quite understand. "Unions" hit rock-bottom a long time ago...

There's no way to go but up and no real threat in the sense of money.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:57 AM

2,424 posts, read 1,886,313 times
Heres a little history lesson:http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_Strike

Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM

1,701 posts, read 3,028,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
They are government/public workers, that's why they had some power to strike...and won!

Here, an article as of recently -- Judge grants transit workers' 11.3% raises, despite MTA financial woes

Here -- The Metropolitan Transportation Authority had urged Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Peter Sherwood to toss the contract, contending the arbitration panel that drafted it had made legal and factual errors in fashioning it earlier this year

( and here -- National Labor Relations Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Board's jurisdiction is limited to private sector employers and the United States Postal Service; other than Postal Service employees, it has no authority over labor relations disputes involving governmental, railroad and airline employees covered by the Adamson Railway Labor Act, or agricultural employees. )

Sherwood's decision was released Friday, a day before the Daily News reported the MTA is considering ending a program providing free or discounted MetroCards to about 555,000 students.

The PR-propaganda assault, it seems, has already started for MTA....
Um what? The workers LOST! Check up on it, they were forced to cut back their insane demands while damaging their credibility with the public.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 AM

36,486 posts, read 15,977,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It's "response"..

I am NOT stupid enough to base everything I believe on my own singular experience....I'm NOT a repug! But I do have 45 years experience in a few different fields, and a willingness to study and learn about unions and the economy......so THAT proves I'm not an anti-American-repug!

BTW I am retired......

And I'll listen to YOU when you post something
A. Factual

B. Not an insult

C. Not personal

D. all of the above
Wow. Your reading comprehension needs some work.

I NEVER said you were a repug.

I NEVER said you werean anti-American-repug. So think all reubs are anti-american?. grow up.

A. When have you stated something "factual"

B. You call me stupid because of a typo then get your panties ina wad because i "insulted" you.

C. Not personal, calling me stupid because of a typo is personal.

D. All of the above.

Now to the point. Give details about your employment history. For all we know you worked for a union, and have a bias.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM

66,172 posts, read 33,593,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
DUH

Employers fight the unions to the detriment of average AMERICAN workers. They want wages as low as possible even if not livable, do not want to put worker safety first, do not want to treat workers as human, don't care about Americans or the American economy...traitors every one..

YES, UNIONS attack and fight employers to get good wages and conditions for average AMERICAN workers....and repubs are AGAINST that!

Anti-Union= Anti-American

Unions will not work as long as there is NAFTA, no import tariffs, and illegal alien labor.

Get rid of those and Unions would see a rise in membership, instead of immigrant visas to fill there corruption.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,663,137 times
I don't have a problem with unions as long as they're not making up the majority of the work force. St. Louis is a perfect example, it's a good mix of union/non-union and it's a pretty good place to live and work.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM

36,486 posts, read 15,977,952 times
There are good unions and bad unions as well as good CEO's and bad CEO's. These blanket statements are juvenile at best and, IMO, only posted to inflame.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Um what? The workers LOST! Check up on it, they were forced to cut back their insane demands while damaging their credibility with the public.
Can't find anything...

The article is from Dec 12-13th of 2009. (arbitration)

(we're talking about the 2005 strike, right?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies