U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,079,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
BTW – except for a couple of jobs I have always been in a Union. I am Union and proud to be Union.
Without exception, NONE of the jobs I have ever had have ever been Union. I am non union and proud to be non union.

BTW - I cannot ever get social security or medicare - I have to "provide for myself". Being non union has given me those extra resources to be able to do that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 AM

57,949 posts, read 40,672,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
joe get paid a dollar, he is able to buy his needs
bob gets paid a dollar, he is able to buy his needs

joe's union says you 'deserve' 1.10, so you can buy more..but now the things joe makes cost more

bob still get a dollar, but bob is not able to meet his needs, because joe now earns 1.10 and has raised his prices to cover his raise.

And when bob's boss decides he needs a new Ferrari so he tells bob times are tough and he'll just need to give back and accept $0.90 ?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 AM

16,248 posts, read 9,044,194 times
True story

In the 60's my dad was a police officer.

A company decided to build a plant in our town and went with a non-union construction firm to build it.

The union thugs came out in force to try to bully both the construction company and the plant owners into unionizing.

This lead to serious conflicts with the police as the Union thugs blocked roads and did other illegal acts.

Dad had been up over night dealing with the miscreants and had just gotten home when he got a call that the union boys were at it again. They had blocked the road to the plant.

Dad went back out there and one of these guys pulled a shotgun on him. The guy actually stuck the barrel in dads stomach. Without even thinking my dad (not a small guy) took the gun away from the guy and only later realized it was loaded with buckshot.

The union thugs promised payback for their friend being arrested. Dad had to check our house and cars daily for bombs. This went on for months on end.

This is what Unions ARE. They are full of idiots who follow the criminals that lead them.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM

34,990 posts, read 34,624,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Just a query, but when we talk about obscene bonuses, we're talking about the banks and finance/insurance companies, aren't we? The management that had their compensation packages approved by the company's board of directors? And how, exactly, did you expect unions to prevent this?

Are the unions trying to unionize stock brokers and financial consultants?

While I appreciate your outrage, I find it just as outrageous that union management, many of whom haven't worked on a factory floor, or in a retail setting, get paid six-figure salaries for their negotiating "skills".

I'm all for collective bargaining, and I think unions have done some great things for American workers across the board.

But I think big unions also have done some bad things to the American economy.

And I think this latest union legislation is a bad thing, because I believe that American workers should have the chance to vote about unionizing, and that they should have a secret ballot when doing so.
DC, I agree about the huge dinosaur rotten unions, but they're not all like that.

We cant let the right to organize or to collectively bargain become so hidden and so dangerous that it's easy for them to disappear.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
DC, I agree about the huge dinosaur rotten unions, but they're not all like that.

We cant let the right to organize or to collectively bargain become so hidden and so dangerous that it's easy for them to disappear.
while i loath unions, i agree with that last bit. the right to organize is sacrocant.

however, so is the right to do so freely.

The only legislation that is in play where this is concerned is CardCheck and CardCheck is anti-freedom.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM

39,948 posts, read 24,187,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

I agree with you.

But I don't think this particular piece of legislation helps anyone except the big, dinosaur unions.

Taking away the secret ballot voting process, and putting in card-check systems is not the way to go.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:00 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,079,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Dad went back out there and one of these guys pulled a shotgun on him.
Somewhat similar; Arizona has always been a right to work state. My Father was a General Building Contractor and believed that the subcontractor who did good quality work - and who had the lowest bid, got the job. It did not matter if you were Union or not.

One particular job - most of the subs were non union. One day - a union "organizer" came to the job site and told the union guys to get off the job - told them they should not be working with scabs.

My father and the "organizer" ... "met" and like the situation with your Dad the union punk pulled a gun - and without missing a beat - so did my father. The difference was though - my Dad fired off a round (it was an old Army .45 cal) next to the "organizers" ear!

Worked resumed. And the organizer was now deaf in one ear (like your description - this was in the 60's). If this was today - my fathers' butt would be in jail. Oh how I yearn for the good old days!

I can't stand unions.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Somewhat similar; Arizona has always been a right to work state. My Father was a General Building Contractor and believed that the subcontractor who did good quality work - and who had the lowest bid, got the job. It did not matter if you were Union or not.

One particular job - most of the subs were non union. One day - a union "organizer" came to the job site and told the union guys to get off the job - told them they should not be working with scabs.

My father and the "organizer" ... "met" and like the situation with your Dad the union punk pulled a gun - and without missing a beat - so did my father. The difference was though - my Dad fired off a round (it was an old Army .45 cal) next to the "organizers" ear!

Worked resumed. And the organizer was now deaf in one ear (like your description - this was in the 60's). If this was today - my fathers' butt would be in jail. Oh how I yearn for the good old days!

I can't stand unions.
ahh yes the good old days.... I did not include that my dad had a certain amount of "liberty" in arresting the idiot.

that kind of liberty would not be permitted today.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 AM

34,990 posts, read 34,624,937 times
"liberty," lol.

It was fun keeping the peace on the border of Mexico back a hundred years ago, wasnt it? Now that's what I call liberty.

Damn liberals just wont let a man express himself.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM

57,949 posts, read 40,672,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

BRAVO! to your Dad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies