U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,223 posts, read 13,977,359 times

Advertisements

time has come for unions to be extinct....have the government reglations to control workplace safety and fairness

unions are just organized crime....sounds harsh but that's what they are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM

2,691 posts, read 3,099,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Unions are nothing but a scam.
So is corporate America. I don't see you up in arms about them though.

If you really want to kill off the middle class, then killing the unions is the right way to go. It may not happen soon, but it will happen.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:17 PM

12,359 posts, read 7,720,840 times
Quote:
Without exception, NONE of the jobs I have ever had have ever been Union. I am non union and proud to be non union.

BTW - I cannot ever get social security or medicare - I have to "provide for myself". Being non union has given me those extra resources to be able to do that
Why can't you get Social Security and Medicare? I've never been in a union either, even though I was in the workplace for nearly 50 years and I get both S.S. and Medicare. Do you/did you work entirely under the table, not paying income taxes or paying into the S.S. system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

In the 60's my dad was a police officer.

A company decided to build a plant in our town and went with a non-union construction firm to build it.

The union thugs came out in force to try to bully both the construction company and the plant owners into unionizing.

This lead to serious conflicts with the police as the Union thugs blocked roads and did other illegal acts.

Dad had been up over night dealing with the miscreants and had just gotten home when he got a call that the union boys were at it again. They had blocked the road to the plant.

Dad went back out there and one of these guys pulled a shotgun on him. The guy actually stuck the barrel in dads stomach. Without even thinking my dad (not a small guy) took the gun away from the guy and only later realized it was loaded with buckshot.

The union thugs promised payback for their friend being arrested. Dad had to check our house and cars daily for bombs. This went on for months on end.

This is what Unions ARE. They are full of idiots who follow the criminals that lead them.
You're talking 50 years ago and you are stuck in a stereotype about unions that is no longer true of 99% of union workers in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
time has come for unions to be extinct....have the government reglations to control workplace safety and fairness
How long do you think industrial work places would remain safe and fair without the unions? The first time someone complained about a safety issue they'd get fired if not for the union, government regulations or not. Government regulations that all came about because of unions in the first place.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-12-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 02:34 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,677,734 times
Quote:
Without exception, NONE of the jobs I have ever had have ever been Union. I am non union and proud to be non union.

BTW - I cannot ever get social security or medicare - I have to "provide for myself". Being non union has given me those extra resources to be able to do that
I dont understand the logic of your BTW. What do you mean?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

unions are just organized crime....sounds harsh but that's what they are
Government regulations -- that's called the Dept of Labor/Fair Labor Standards Act.

How do you expect workers to organize and bargain and protect themselves without professional help? It's worse than going to court without a lawyer.

(And.... I thought you on the right werent fans of govt intervention...?)

I'd say unscrupulous management is like organized crime. You need to wake up and realize who you're defending and who you're attacking, here.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM

58,062 posts, read 40,822,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
For maiming someone?

He had a gun pulled on him first, no sympathy here for the one who did it. If someone points a gun at you it must be treated as an attempt on your life.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He had a gun pulled on him first, no sympathy here for the one who did it. If someone points a gun at you it must be treated as an attempt on your life.
oh, I didnt read that.

but that doesnt have anything to do with unions. it's a self-defense story as you point out.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:22 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,134,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Why can't you get Social Security and Medicare?
I withdrew / opted out, of the system. You can still do it but, it is much harder then when I did decades ago.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I dont understand the logic of your BTW. What do you mean?
I opted out of SS. AND, by not having to pay "dues" (union dues), it gives / gave me all that much more to invest in my retirement / investment accounts. Paying "dues" (Union) so that the President of the Union can get a new Mercedes does not seem equitable to me.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
but that doesnt have anything to do with unions. it's a self-defense story as you point out.
Actually, it does have a lot to do with Unions.

The type of person that I and burdell were describing (from the Union)? They are nothing but Thugs - they rough people up. Try to intimidate people. A common Union tactic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies