Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:59 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I opted out of SS. AND, by not having to pay "dues" (union dues), it gives / gave me all that much more to invest in my retirement / investment accounts. Paying "dues" (Union) so that the President of the Union can get a new Mercedes does not seem equitable to me.
I agree that some unions are bloated and disgusting, but workers still need protection, and not all unions are greedy just as not all businesses are greedy. in fact those bloated unions are the exception, they just get the press.

It's good that you opted out of SS and have all the more to invest in retirement, etc. But not everyone has those options or those breaks. Im convinced you're capable of understanding that.

So again, I dont get what you're trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
And I thank all of those who recognize that Unions have become the Bane of society.

Unions and their union thugs are miscrents who have done more damage to our economy than any other group save the idiots in congress that are bought by the unions.

I thank my God that I have never been union, have lived in right to work states and by His Grace I will never have to be union.
you know, if your God directed you into a union, that would be by His grace too, wouldnt it?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:21 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I agree that some unions are bloated and disgusting, but workers still need protection, and not all unions are greedy just as not all businesses are greedy. in fact those bloated unions are the exception, they just get the press.

It's good that you opted out of SS and have all the more to invest in retirement, etc. But not everyone has those options or those breaks. Im convinced you're capable of understanding that.

So again, I dont get what you're trying to say.
Correct....I don't anyone here is saying that unions have always been beyond reproach. Sure, there have been some over-the-top work rules in place and yes, everyone knows there have been some "thugs".

But jumping from the rough edges that need attention to.."time has come for unions to be extinct", as one poster put it, is like saying that police forces should be extinct because of the small percentage of cops that go bad and conduct themselves as thugs with badges - even go on mob payrolls.

It is absolutely incredible to watch American labor go down the drain today while so many lost souls advocate their own demise and that of their country. Why do so few seem to care?

Here in California a good part of the explanation may be that so much of the population is recent immigrants. They don't know what they've lost because they never had it. To them a 20 hour a week job at Target is moving up in the world.

But what about middle America? I haven't lived there for 20 years, so I've lost touch. Isn't middle America angry about this race to the bottom of the global wage scale?

I'm to the point where the mere mention of the word "global" makes me sick.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:55 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Yeah, one time, while working in a nonunion shop, i ended up slicing my knee wide open on some steel that was gauged to spec for razor blades. I told the supervisor that i needed to go to a hospital immediately, which i knew something was seriously wrong. The supervisor then called his boss (on the phone) and ran over the situation with him (while blood is squirting from my knee like a fountain). Next thing i know, i'm inside an industrial clinic, courtesy of a ride by way of the supervisor, and the doctor laughed a bit wryly and said to me ".. you need to go to the hospital.." after saying that my tendon underneath my kneecap had been nearly severed.

Long story short, i got 24 staples in my knee, twelve inside to tie the tendon back together and twelve outside because of a saftey hazard; material in the walkway.

(A freakin' industrial clinic.... what an insult looking back on it, and we don't need unions?!)

BTW -- OSHA is a joke! Your typical "modern-day sweatshop" will let the place be a sh@t-hole and only will act accordingly (time to get prim and proper, boys) when big-bad government agency named OSHA decides to show itself. Then after, the bosses let the place slide into a pig-sty.

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 01-13-2010 at 01:06 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
time has come for unions to be extinct....have the government reglations to control workplace safety and fairness

unions are just organized crime....sounds harsh but that's what they are
A "workingclasshero" and anti-union.

Too funny and rich in irony....

Good luck with that.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:32 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Yeah, one time, while working in a nonunion shop, i ended up slicing my knee wide open on some steel that was gauged to spec for razor blades. I told the supervisor that i needed to go to a hospital immediately, which i knew something was seriously wrong. The supervisor then called his boss (on the phone) and ran over the situation with him (while blood is squirting from my knee like a fountain). Next thing i know, i'm inside an industrial clinic, courtesy of a ride by way of the supervisor, and the doctor laughed a bit wryly and said to me ".. you need to go to the hospital.." after saying that my tendon underneath my kneecap had been nearly severed.

Long story short, i got 24 staples in my knee, twelve inside to tie the tendon back together and twelve outside because of a saftey hazard; material in the walkway.

(A freakin' industrial clinic.... what an insult looking back on it, and we don't need unions?!)

BTW -- OSHA is a joke! Your typical "modern-day sweatshop" will let the place be a sh@t-hole and only will act accordingly (time to get prim and proper, boys) when big-bad government agency named OSHA decides to show itself. Then after, the bosses let the place slide into a pig-sty.
Shame on them. Modern day sweatshop, that's funny and very typical of the pro-union folks. Tell us all about those "modern-day sweatshops".

Old 01-13-2010, 05:36 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Here, the link to the story -- ‘Stay Union-Free’ Pushed by Target, Michaels as Obama Law Looms - Bloomberg.com

Research on Unions

Registration for Jackson Lewis’s $595 “How to Stay Union- Free” seminars has increased to about 100 executives a session, according to Michael Lotito, a partner in San Francisco with the New York-based law firm. Jackson Lewis also has done research for companies on unions that could come to their workplaces if there is a change in labor law.

[MOD CUT/copyright]

Wow.......speechless after reading this article.
Goodbye Target.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Shame on them. Modern day sweatshop, that's funny and very typical of the pro-union folks. Tell us all about those "modern-day sweatshops".
Non-union employers like to play both sides of the fence nowadays. They'll say, "..we're non-union, but we run the shop "union-like..." which is the biggest crock of you-know-what.

Later, i'll post another example of a buddy who i grew up with in Kentucky who's now an MRI/Cat Scan doctor in Lexington and their biggest client is, who else, TOYOTA.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
you know, if your God directed you into a union, that would be by His grace too, wouldnt it?

In deed. Grace is a teacher. Not all lessons are easy. Nor are all lessons pain free.

That is why I am thankful that the Instructor has not felt it necessary to lead me down such a painful and bitter path.....

Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 810 times
Default Talking anti-union

oK both Whole Foods and Target preach no union and fire you for organizing//we have friends who are banned from stores in Chi Town because they organized and talked union in Madison//the new Target planners in Madison won't even talk living wage//they know what that is in Chicago where Walmarts have been thwarted by that nasty living wage//the same law firms teach no union to all these people//Mr. Mackey still preaches unions as herpes from behind the stage! we need good jobs with benefits, union jobs. Unions gave us breaks, vacations, pay equity, and a different playing field. What happened to child labor which is still found all over the world, even in N.Y.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies