U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Senator Harry Reid step down for his racist comments about Obama?
Yes - If a Republican had said it the Democrats would call for his head. 75 78.13%
No - Because a Democrat said it, it's okay to let it go. 21 21.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2010, 12:06 PM
 
Location: South Fla
9,644 posts, read 8,589,431 times
Reputation: 1942

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have never seen anyone here on CD called a racist b/c they do not support Obama's policies. Not once.

The Repubs did not have much to do with the Civil Rights movement of the 60s, that is when Nixon devised his "southern strategy".

Since your mind is blown, perhaps you should refrain from CD.
So if you havent seen it on here means it doesnt happen? I would bet if I really spent time searching I could find it happening on here also. I just dont have the time for that. Rest assured it happens





A majority of Democrats opposed civil rights legislation in over 80 % of the votes. By contrast, the Republican majority favored civil rights in over 96 % of the votes.
http://www.congresslink.org/print_ba...ghts64text.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,682 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Reputation: 41529
TigerLily,

You can beleive what you want, I choose not to take anything written in the Huffington Post seriously..I would just as soon believe the National Inquirer...

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,228 posts, read 4,188,603 times
Reputation: 11585
Unless I read the wrong "remark", what Reid said amounted to a subjective analysis of the candidiate, and nothing more. It was an accurate, if unflattering, description. In '08, no one could have forseen The Apotheosis. Reid's remarks were within acceptable bounds for those describing mortal men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM
 
4,380 posts, read 2,923,159 times
Reputation: 1431
Harry Reid's remarks were breathtakingly stupid, but not racist. As a conservative, I'm sick of hearing the shrill cry of racism coming from the Left; however, it would be hypocritical to use the same tactic on a Democrat for statements that weren't racist. The real issue here is the *blatant* double-standard on the part of the Democrats, the White House and its staff (a.k.a. the media).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
 
238 posts, read 690,441 times
Reputation: 70
Time to go, Harry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 PM
 
4,380 posts, read 2,923,159 times
Reputation: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That is why Biden said 0bama was like a fairy tale, or Reid thinking is was noteworthy enough to mention 0bama did not have a "negro accent", because when they saw a black man like 0bama as "clean" and "articulate" it's like watching a dog walk on its hind legs or a monkey using tools. These guys view blacks as poor, ignorant, knuckle dragging ghetto dwellers, so when they see 'one of them" that does not fit their bigoted stereotype, it's noteworthy enough that they need to publicly mention it. Sort of like "Hey, it snowed in Atlanta Georgia!!!" Its so far from the norm, they just have to tell someone about it.
Wow, deserves repeating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,886 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
So if you havent seen it on here means it doesnt happen? I would bet if I really spent time searching I could find it happening on here also. I just dont have the time for that. Rest assured it happens





A majority of Democrats opposed civil rights legislation in over 80 % of the votes. By contrast, the Republican majority favored civil rights in over 96 % of the votes.
CongressLink: [Congress: The Basics - Lawmaking] Civil Rights: Major Features of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
Can't open your link. Maybe you could give it a little context.

The corollary is also true, just because you say people have been called racists for opposing Obama, that doesn't mean it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
 
51,651 posts, read 41,613,932 times
Reputation: 32266
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Should Senator Harry Reid step down for his racist comments about Obama?
Yes. Yes he should.

However, since he is a democrat there will not be the full-out witch-hunt because politics actually matter and racial outrage is just a card to be played.

It's the same way that anti-abortion groups gave Bush a pass on abortion because he was Republican.

Actually, what will happen is that they will take surveys and then if it looks like Reid will cost them swing votes (because we know most of you will never cross party lines) then they will look to oust him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 PM
 
Location: South Fla
9,644 posts, read 8,589,431 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Can't open your link. Maybe you could give it a little context.

The corollary is also true, just because you say people have been called racists for opposing Obama, that doesn't mean it happens.
Its happened to me. Its happened to my husband. Its happened to friends during the election. I've watched it happen on the net in more places then this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
 
Location: NY
12,263 posts, read 9,414,349 times
Reputation: 8028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

The Repubs did not have much to do with the Civil Rights movement of the 60s, that is when Nixon devised his "southern strategy".

Since your mind is blown, perhaps you should refrain from CD.
Perhaps you should refrain from rewriting history on CD.

There were several Civil Rights Acts, but the big one, under LBJ, would never have passed without Republican help. Democrats filibustered the Civil Rights Act for 54 days, including Sen Robert KKK. Byrd who gave a 14 hour speech as part of the filibuster (the president of his local NAACP said of Byrd -"The one-man talkathon staged by Sen. Byrd for 14 hours last night and this morning indicates the extent to which a mind warped with hate and prejudice will go — even in the hallowed halls of Congress.")

Don't ever forget - without Republican help - Democrats would have killed the Civil Rights Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top