Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Senator Harry Reid step down for his racist comments about Obama?
Yes - If a Republican had said it the Democrats would call for his head. 75 78.13%
No - Because a Democrat said it, it's okay to let it go. 21 21.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,418,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
look at all the people that were afraid of JFK because he was catholic, or all the people from the left that were fearmongering at mitt romney because he is mormon
"people from the left that were fearmongering [sic] ....because he is mormon [sic]"???? Look again. Many, many who call themselves "Christian" have issues with Mormons. That came from the right as well as the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,829,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You've got it backwards, Jadex. I'm not calling Republicans racists for being Republicans. I am pointing out that when the Republican Party made a clear effort at recruiting southern racists by adopting racist policies (the well-known Southern strategy), it worked, and attracted racists into the party.
No actually I dont but lets make it clear there is racist in both parties but some only wants to point out how its in 1 party not both

Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Reid works for the citizens of Nevada.

Steele as the leader of the Gop is doing his job and stating the position of the gop. The same postion that democrats had against Lott when they including Reid demand that Lott step down

Old 01-12-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
But that's not what was said. You got it completely backwards. The post you quoted says that the racists switched from being Democrats to being Republicans. No where does it even suggest that they were being referred to as racist simply because they became Republicans.

lol Southern racist cant possibly be democrat right they must be republican

Because there is no one in the south that is racist and democrat

Guess there is no democrats in the south.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
No actually I dont but lets make it clear there is racist in both parties but some only wants to point out how its in 1 party not both
When "racist" consistently champion issues that are important to the African American community I can only say, I wish there were more racist like that.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 AM

50,169 posts, read 63,623,198 times
How about, none of the above? I can't stand the guy, but what he said was true, and everyone knows it, so why give in to political correctness? A black man who speaks ebonics would never get elected President in this country. Nor would a white man who spoke like a hick.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When "racist" consistently champion issues that are important to the African American community I can only say, I wish there were more racist like that.
I am not here to debate if hes a racist or not but how if a republican said this without a doubt you'd be calling them a racist

Republicans have been called racist for doing less then what Reid did

Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
How about, none of the above? I can't stand the guy, but what he said was true, and everyone knows it, so why give in to political correctness? A black man who speaks ebonics would never get elected President in this country. Nor would a white man who spoke like a hick.
Never heard democrats talk about how Bush speaks lol

Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,418,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
lol Southern racist cant possibly be democrat right they must be republican

Because there is no one in the south that is racist and democrat

Guess there is no democrats in the south.
You missed the whole historical aspect of the conversation about Dixiecrats and the Civil Rights Act, didn't you? And apparently you never learned anything about it. You just keep typing the same meaningless babble without knowing -- or, apparently, caring -- about any of the context of the comments you're responding to.

No context.
No factual knowledge.
Typical right winger.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,272,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My response to you was that the democratic party claims to be open and "racist free" but you can be a racist, make racist comments and the democrats don't care at all. But if you are a racist the republican party will not be tolerant of your displays of racism. Sen. Byrd could never be elected as a republican because of his racist past and his publicly racist comments. Its almost a requirement that a democratic politician bring their bigotry and racial baggage with them to Washington, and even use it to influence policy decisions and legislation.
Okay, I see.... So apparently then, you would understand that Reid isn't being given a pass because he's a Democrat, but because there is NOTHING in his past to suggest that he is a racist, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies