Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Senator Harry Reid step down for his racist comments about Obama?
Yes - If a Republican had said it the Democrats would call for his head. 75 78.13%
No - Because a Democrat said it, it's okay to let it go. 21 21.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I have no idea what Senator Reid thinks. It's irrelevant. He was speaking about something that has been proven in countless studies -- both blacks and whites react more favorably to light skinned African-Americans than to dark skinned African-Americans. It isn't his opinion, it's a fact.
If that is his belief, which I think it is, then he is a definite racist - because he groups all dark-skinned African-Americans into one group based on nothing more than the color (or the shade) of their skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I absolutely agree with you. It doesn't really matter at this stage what the intent of the statement was as it is very open to interpretation. If he has any respect for his position, he will not run.
"Respect for his position?" Harry Reid? Uh huh. May as well ask a bear to not ****in the woods.. Reid has NEVER had any "respect" for his position. We are talking about the guy who said "I don't care what my constituents think, I have to vote my conscience" Yea, some "elected representative". He has only , just, squeaked by in the last two elections here. Once by 250 votes, miraculously conjured from...somewhere, and the next by only 500, once again, after some ...tweaking. The guy is a belly crawling rodent. The intent of his statement is irrelevant to his real character. Were he from the other side of the aisle, we would not even be talking about context or intent. The jury would have been out before the judge sat down. And people talk about giving someone the benefit of the doubt? Looking at context and intent? I find that ....interesting.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,069 times
R U kidding?

Black people have said the exact same things about Obama from the start. He didn't say anything racist. He made an observation about our society - period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Do you think Senator Reid's opinion (that people would be more willing to vote for a light-skinned African-American than for a dark-skinned African-American) was predicated based on his own personal (negative) opinion concerning dark-skinned African-Americans? In other words, does Senator Reid have the same opinion that he believes others have? I think he does. Was he telling the truth about how he feels? I think so. Is his belief racist? I think so - because he groups all dark-skinned African-Americans into one group based on nothing more than the color (or the shade) of their skin.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
R U kidding?

Black people have said the exact same things about Obama from the start. He didn't say anything racist. He made an observation about our society - period.
Then black people are racist toward their own race based on skin shade. Right?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:09 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
This is ridiculous. It's just another example of Republican posturing. Every week, they're calling for someone else to step down: Nancy Pelosi, Janet Napolitano, and now, Harry Reid.

Republicans can huff and puff all they want. Harry Reid isn't going to step down, and I'm glad.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times
Racist by definition means one viewing another race as inferior. If Reid supposedly views blacks as inferior, why was he endorsing one to become leader of the free world?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:28 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Racist by definition means one viewing another race as inferior. If Reid supposedly views blacks as inferior, why was he endorsing one to become leader of the free world?
Simple logic like that defies them, I'm sure.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Then black people are racist toward their own race based on skin shade. Right?
Yes.

You must not get out much.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Yes.

You must not get out much.
Maybe I'm hanging with [only] the right people.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm hanging with [only] the right people.

I would guess, not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies