Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Senator Harry Reid step down for his racist comments about Obama?
Yes - If a Republican had said it the Democrats would call for his head. 75 78.13%
No - Because a Democrat said it, it's okay to let it go. 21 21.88%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Say what "thing"? That Obama is a viable candidate because his dialect and complexion are more palatable to voters who might otherwise be turned off by the idea of a black president?

It's simply a true statement. That speaks to our society, not the person pointing it out.
It's of the same frame of mind as "serving coffee" (Clinton) and "first articulate AA (Biden)." It says that they think, in general, that most AA's are not intelligent and can not speak proper English. I live in NC and can't vouch for the rest of the country but there is by no means a majority of the AA's, that I know at least, that are ignorant and can't speak proper English. That's the type of mind frame I see by making a statement like that. Maybe I see it differently because I am actually around people from all sorts of backgrounds and nationalities that sometimes speak English and sometimes don't. I've learned a lot from all races, colors, national origins, religions, sexes, familial status.. et alii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I am not debating if what he said is actually racist I am simply pointing out that republicans have been called racist by democrats for saying much less.

We can debate what he meant by that comment but he said what he said about people that doesnt support it are racist.

We agree on the pc part and the voters get to decide. I am only pointing out the double standard in hopes that someone wakes up

I am sick of people being hypocrites for a political party and hoping that if its pointed out enough people realize and stop it
They will never truly admit the way they apply the double standard, eventually some democrats will grudgingly admit that their are racists in both parties, but that does not stop them from excusing democrat politicians and liberals, while screaming "off with their heads" for republicans or conservatives.

Limbaugh can be pilloried for the MJ Fox comment, but 0bama is excused after publicly denigrating the children who take part in the Special Olympics.

The way democrats and libs look at it, the vast majority of republicans are bigots, racists, bible thumping intolerants, its why they are in that party. They think all republicans do is hide their bigotry and racism, but its right their under the surface all the time. So when they appear to slip up, the left sees it as them revealing their true bigoted colors, even if it is really fuzzy, their bigotry must be pointed out.

The libs view democrats as pure and non-bigoted, so even when they are blatantly racist, bigoted or sexist, it only represents a tiny, tiny minority, and even then it was just a slip of the tongue, and a poor choice of words.

This last presidential election was a perfect example. All the bigotry, sexism and racism came from democratic candidates, politicians and campaigns, and yet if you ask a democrat, they will say with a straight face that the racism, bigotry and sexism came from republican candiates, their campaigns, and republican politicians.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It's of the same frame of mind as "serving coffee" (Clinton) and "first articulate AA (Biden)." It says that they think, in general, that most AA's are not intelligent and can not speak proper English. I live in NC and can't vouch for the rest of the country but there is by no means a majority of the AA's, that I know at least, that are ignorant and can't speak proper English. That's the type of mind frame I see by making a statement like that. Maybe I see it differently because I am actually around people from all sorts of backgrounds and nationalities that sometimes speak English and sometimes don't. I've learned a lot from all races, colors, national origins, religions, sexes, familial status.. et alii.
That is why Biden said 0bama was like a fairy tale, or Reid thinking is was noteworthy enough to mention 0bama did not have a "negro accent", because when they saw a black man like 0bama as "clean" and "articulate" it's like watching a dog walk on its hind legs or a monkey using tools. These guys view blacks as poor, ignorant, knuckle dragging ghetto dwellers, so when they see 'one of them" that does not fit their bigoted stereotype, it's noteworthy enough that they need to publicly mention it. Sort of like "Hey, it snowed in Atlanta Georgia!!!" Its so far from the norm, they just have to tell someone about it.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well, you're trying to guess what was implied by each comment now.... "Articulate" may very well be a poor choice of words however. I can concede that, but that's more to what Biden said, not Reid.....

There IS a "negro dialect", much like there is a "southern dialect"... Guess what? BOTH are typically considered "not as articulate" as a person with no discernable accent at all....

We can both sit here and say that blacks and southerners are, for the most part, educated and such, but the accent carries a stigma with it... Again, not PC but it's the truth of the matter and is what, I believe, Reid was referring to.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:45 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
you know ... the GOP could really take this to the place it needs to go instead of running around like chickens with their heads cut off screaming DOUBLE STANDARD ... put money in the coffers of Reid's opponents ... use this IN NEVADA ... take it to the people of Nevada. But they won't. It's much more sexy to get the "vapahs" and feign moral outrage for the main stream media.

and remember this tightie righties?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5JFe...eature=related

Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Poll: Harry Reid ’s approval rating at 33 percent in Nevada - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20100110poll_harry_reid_s_approval_rating_at_33_pe rcent_in_nevada/ - broken link)

Quote:
Fifty-two percent of Nevadans had an unfavorable opinion of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and 33 percent had a favorable view, according to a statewide poll released Saturday. The Las Vegas Review-Journal poll also found that Republican Sue Lowden had 50 percent to Reid’s 40 percent, while Republican Danny Tarkanian had 49 percent to Reid’s 41 percent.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:52 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Much less? Give us an example.

Note: "Lying African", "homie", etc, are not "much less".
Saying you dont support Obama will get you called a racist. Because you dont support him because youre a racist. I've seen democrats call republicans the racist party. What have the republicans done as a party besides free slaves and civil rights to be called a racist party

I cant believe you really asked that to be honest. Democrats try so hard to deny how they label people racist for lack of support of Obama but then turn around and do just that. Its mind blowing

Heck my husband has been called a racist for not supporting Obama and hes hispanic/black

Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Should Senator Harry Reid step down for his racist comments about Obama?
I happen to feel, at this stage it is up to the voters to decide in 10 more months. And yes, if a Republican had said anything like that he/she would be toast!!!! isn't this the case with everything, from affairs to remarks.

Nita

Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Saying you dont support Obama will get you called a racist. Because you dont support him because youre a racist. I've seen democrats call republicans the racist party. What have the republicans done as a party besides free slaves and civil rights to be called a racist party

I cant believe you really asked that to be honest. Democrats try so hard to deny how they label people racist for lack of support of Obama but then turn around and do just that. Its mind blowing

Heck my husband has been called a racist for not supporting Obama and hes hispanic/black
I have never seen anyone here on CD called a racist b/c they do not support Obama's policies. Not once.

The Repubs did not have much to do with the Civil Rights movement of the 60s, that is when Nixon devised his "southern strategy".

Since your mind is blown, perhaps you should refrain from CD.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'd sooner see the 40 Republicans go for having sat there all year, collected their $174K, and done absolutely nothing useful at all.
you can't be serious, the Democrats didn't collect thier salary? Thanks for telling us that. What Reid did has nothing to do with what has or hasn't been done in congress the past year...Can you say apples and oranges?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies