U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Austin
1,477 posts, read 1,424,537 times
Reputation: 435

Advertisements

Quote:
The National Iranian American Council is on high alert after a South Carolina Congressman announced this week that he will introduce legislation which would require the deportation of all Iranians living in America.
Source: GOP Congressman wants to deport every Iranian | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2010/01/gop-congressman-deport-iranian/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2010, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times
Reputation: 27566
Nothing like a knee jerk reaction and swing to the extreme other end.
Some of these Congressmen need to be kept on a short leash with no access to the press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,078 posts, read 34,350,819 times
Reputation: 10476
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Source: GOP Congressman wants to deport every Iranian | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2010/01/gop-congressman-deport-iranian/ - broken link)
That is a truly stupid proposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Land of debt and Corruption
7,526 posts, read 7,216,783 times
Reputation: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Source: GOP Congressman wants to deport every Iranian | Raw Story (http://rawstory.com/2010/01/gop-congressman-deport-iranian/ - broken link)
Joe, you need to stop getting your news from The Raw Story. Honestly, the majority of the articles you post from there are junk.

Did you read the proposed bill? It does NOT have anything to do with deporting all Iranians. READ THE BILL.

A BILL
To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to bar the
admission of aliens from countries determined to be state
sponsors of terrorism
, and for other purposes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Chicago Suburbs
3,191 posts, read 3,791,240 times
Reputation: 1161
Barrett is not advocating for deportations, but rather for restrictions on immigration from countries who sponsor terrorism.
What could the agenda be of some one who would be against this or try to mislead in it's intent?

From the Congressman's website:
Congressman J. Gresham Barrett : Press Releases : BARRETT TO UPDATE AND REINTRODUCE THE S.T.E.P. ACT (http://www.barrett.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=9&sectiontree=3,9&itemid=1251 - broken link)

Quote:
“In light of these unfortunate facts, I intend to introduce legislation that will enhance our national security through common sense changes to our current immigration laws. The STEP Act of 2010 bars the admission of aliens from countries designated as State Sponsors of Terrorism as well as Yemen to the United States. Additionally, the STEP Act prohibits the transfer of the terrorist detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to our nation
Then:
Quote:
Individuals seeking political or religious asylum or emergency medical treatment may be exempt from these provisions, only after an extensive federal screening.
Another steaming load of bull from from the terrorist sympathizers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 01:43 PM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,253 posts, read 16,637,000 times
Reputation: 8874
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Joe, you need to stop getting your news from The Raw Story. Honestly, the majority of the articles you post from there are junk.

Did you read the proposed bill? It does NOT have anything to do with deporting all Iranians. READ THE BILL.

A BILL
To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to bar the
admission of aliens from countries determined to be state
sponsors of terrorism, and for other purposes
Well, Joe sensationalizes everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 01:58 PM
 
32,500 posts, read 16,638,621 times
Reputation: 17475
Default Ah, a poser.

Wasting everybody's time with legislation that has no chance of ever passing, to shore up support for re-election. How - transparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 02:06 PM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,616,384 times
Reputation: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Barrett is not advocating for deportations, but rather for restrictions on immigration from countries who sponsor terrorism.
What could the agenda be of some one who would be against this or try to mislead in it's intent?

From the Congressman's website:
Congressman J. Gresham Barrett : Press Releases : BARRETT TO UPDATE AND REINTRODUCE THE S.T.E.P. ACT (http://www.barrett.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=9&sectiontree=3,9&itemid=1251 - broken link)


Then:

Another steaming load of bull from from the terrorist sympathizers.
"Countries who sponsor terrorism'' is a category so arbitrary that it is entirely useless. Cuba is listed as a state sponsor of terrorism but Libya isn't, because they cut deals with the Bush administration to get removed from the list. And did it ever occur that there are Muslims born in Europe who would be classified as citizens of the nation they were born in, eg: French, German, British, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Chicago Suburbs
3,191 posts, read 3,791,240 times
Reputation: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
"Countries who sponsor terrorism'' is a category so arbitrary that it is entirely useless. Cuba is listed as a state sponsor of terrorism but Libya isn't, because they cut deals with the Bush administration to get removed from the list. And did it ever occur that there are Muslims born in Europe who would be classified as citizens of the nation they were born in, eg: French, German, British, etc?
Hey dude I didn't write the legislation.
You can always contact the congressman through his website and request for additional countries to be added.

I applaud your efforts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
869 posts, read 2,677,934 times
Reputation: 949
So many lonely people out there......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top