Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I'm sorry I wrote that backwards. Thank you for fixing my mistake.
I figured it was just a typo, but just wanted to make sure... 'cause there are people who honestly feel that their "privilege" to drive is actually a right.

Just like that "right to the road" that some people declare. Can you believe that some people don't like the idea of sharing the road with pedestrians, bikes, mopeds, motorcycles, or anything else?! Confuses me that common sense and respect are completely blown off while driving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I read about this yesterday while at work.

What a petty move.
He got what he deserved.

I don't understand the road rage some drivers have for cyclists.
Not that this excuses the doctor but several years ago in Boston a gentleman was killed by a bike messenger while crossing the street. The street is a one-way and the gentleman had looked in the direction from which traffic would be coming when he was struck by the bike travelling the wrong way.

I can be annoyed by bicyclists sometimes but I have never found myself getting this pissed off. Five years is extreme imo.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I figured it was just a typo, but just wanted to make sure... 'cause there are people who honestly feel that their "privilege" to drive is actually a right.

Just like that "right to the road" that some people declare. Can you believe that some people don't like the idea of sharing the road with pedestrians, bikes, mopeds, motorcycles, or anything else?! Confuses me that common sense and respect are completely blown off while driving...

I completely agree with you. The road does not belong to one person. We have to share it. I can hardly take a walk on my residential neigborhood road without having to get in the grass when a car passes. It's a wide road too. Not everyone is like this, but some are.

I take my daughter to the bus stop every morning and NO one goes the speed limit and only half actually come to a complete stop at the stop sign at the end of our road. I always make sure the cars stop before she runs across the road. I have seen more than one car not stop or come to a stop right at the bus because they weren't paying attention.

I take driving seriously and I wish others would to. I don't think they actually think there are real people with feeling and flesh and blood driving the other vehicle, they just see the machine.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I have rage for anyone who is in front of me and is traveling well under the speed limit and simply refuses to allow be to pass by. I don't condone what this guy did as it was extremely dangerous and over the top but I can understand what drove him to take such action. Nothing like getting behind a group of bikers blocking the whole road and going 20 MPH under the speed limit who refuse to move over to get your blood boiling.

Cyclists (and slowpokes) have just as much right to the road as do I but common courtesy would dictate that they move over and allow faster traffic to pass. It's just like hanging in the left hand lane on the highway. PASSING ONLY!
That is the problem right there. You are completely wrong to have rage when your way is blocked temporarily by slower traffic. I ride with a cycling club and on Saturday mornings a big group can spread out and take up a lane and cruise along at 15mph for miles until a car comes up behind. Immediately "car back!" is called from the back of the group and one by one the bikes fall in line. Takes 5 to 10 seconds. In this state it is not a problem, usually. Short tempered people live everywhere and in some places they become empowered to the point that cyclists (and pedestrians) take their lives in their hands by being on the road, even on the shoulder! Everyone is (or should be) in control of how angry they allow themselves to get at... life. Those who aren't need a lesson. Five years sounds excessive even to this cyclist/pedestrian and might be the back door to an appeal and an overturn which might be the intention all along.

H

Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Not sure where you are.. but where I'm from, Motorcyclists are required to carry a Class M license. They also have to register their vehicle, like a car, AND the state requires that ALL VEHICLES are to be insured before they can be registered - or they must pay the uninsured driver fee.

It's that way with motorcyclists, but I was under the impression we were talking about bicyclists here...did I miss something? And as far as I know bicyclists are not licensed, nor do they have to register their vehicle or carry insurance. Yet, bicycle riders seem to disproportionatly ignore traffic laws and common courtesy. Many seem to want the privlage of operating a vehicle on public roads, but not accept the responsibility. This isn't true of all riders, but like many user groups a few give the whole a bad name.

In my state, it's state law that you pull over and facilitate passing if you are holding up 3 or more vehicles. We have lots of smaller, twisty mountain roads where passing into the oncoming lane is unsafe. That law is intended to address that situation, and is common sense. Yet many (most) bicyclists ignore it and occupy an entire lane. I would like to see law enforcement actually enforce traffic laws with respect to bicyclists.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
That is the problem right there. You are completely wrong to have rage when your way is blocked temporarily by slower traffic. I ride with a cycling club and on Saturday mornings a big group can spread out and take up a lane and cruise along at 15mph for miles until a car comes up behind. Immediately "car back!" is called from the back of the group and one by one the bikes fall in line. Takes 5 to 10 seconds. In this state it is not a problem, usually.
This is true of the group I used to ride with as well. One item that can help reduce issues is to break up the riders into smaller groups. Even single file a group of 20 or more riders take up a lot of highway, generally forcing drivers into the oncoming lane to pass (unless you're talking about an area with a good sized shoulder for the cyclists to go on). We usually broke up into groups of 3-5 riders just to address this and kept distance between groups.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:09 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
That is the problem right there. You are completely wrong to have rage when your way is blocked temporarily by slower traffic. I ride with a cycling club and on Saturday mornings a big group can spread out and take up a lane and cruise along at 15mph for miles until a car comes up behind. Immediately "car back!" is called from the back of the group and one by one the bikes fall in line. Takes 5 to 10 seconds. In this state it is not a problem, usually. Short tempered people live everywhere and in some places they become empowered to the point that cyclists (and pedestrians) take their lives in their hands by being on the road, even on the shoulder! Everyone is (or should be) in control of how angry they allow themselves to get at... life. Those who aren't need a lesson. Five years sounds excessive even to this cyclist/pedestrian and might be the back door to an appeal and an overturn which might be the intention all along.

H
Waiting for twenty or thirty seconds for a group of cyclists to move closer to the shoulder wouldn't bother me in the least. I'm talking about a-holes that block the whole road and refuse to move over even after they are aware you are there. People like that will usually look over their shoulder and give you a snide look and then they continue on blocking the road.

It sounds like you and your friends are very polite and aware of your surroundings. Too bad not everyone behaves in the same manner.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:11 PM

238 posts, read 766,999 times
And when he comes out, we should give him a bicycle.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Got what he deserved.
As did the cyclists.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's that way with motorcyclists, but I was under the impression we were talking about bicyclists here...did I miss something? And as far as I know bicyclists are not licensed, nor do they have to register their vehicle or carry insurance. Yet, bicycle riders seem to disproportionatly ignore traffic laws and common courtesy. Many seem to want the privlage of operating a vehicle on public roads, but not accept the responsibility. This isn't true of all riders, but like many user groups a few give the whole a bad name.

In my state, it's state law that you pull over and facilitate passing if you are holding up 3 or more vehicles. We have lots of smaller, twisty mountain roads where passing into the oncoming lane is unsafe. That law is intended to address that situation, and is common sense. Yet many (most) bicyclists ignore it and occupy an entire lane. I would like to see law enforcement actually enforce traffic laws with respect to bicyclists.
Sorry about that, I thought I copied my entire response and it appears that a paragraph I'd made was chopped off. (Internet's on the fritz). For this, I apologize.

You are correct that bicyclists do not have to register/license/insure their bikes to be on the road. From what I've read and spoke to an officer about, bikes are to ride in the rightmost lane. The only exceptions are when a bike is making a left turn (and then must merge correctly across the necessary lane(s)) or when there is a bike path. They have to obey traffic lights and signs the same as everyone else. Heck, a bicyclist can be given a ticket for not stopping for a school bus! ((Seen it.))

My husband has (or rather, had ) a nice moped that he used to drive around. By law, he didn't have to register it or have a license to drive it. By law, he didn't need insurance (but did!). By law, he was capable of driving on any road that had a 45mph or less posted speed limit. By law, he was to drive with traffic - vice being off to the side like a bicycle. Yet, following the law... I can't even count the number of times people have nearly hit him, honked at him or just given him the finger as they break the law to get around him in the same lane.

You mention smaller, twisty mountain roads... I question how safe it would be to ride on the very edge of a lane under such conditions. I also wonder if even being on the outermost edge of lane would still be enough for a car to get by without having to use the oncoming lane. The reason I question this is because it sounds very similar to this: road. Minus the whole mountain thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies