Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,458,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Liberals and hussein obama's whole game is to make people more dependent. Dependent people are easier to control. Dependent people lose their pride.
Really? How so? Please elaborate and give specific details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,305,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd
Liberals and hussein obama's whole game is to make people more dependent. Dependent people are easier to control. Dependent people lose their pride.
AH, that explains why so many neo-cons don't like their wives to work outside the home...they want them dependent and easily controlled.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-10-2010 at 10:17 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,567,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
AH, that explains why so many neo-cons don't like their wives to work outside the home...they want them dependent and easily controlled.
You are 100 percent spot on.

Anyways, people who say the UAW are responsible for this-get real. If the UAW is sooo terrible and so bad then why is Ford still doing good?

Third of all, Detroit is sad. I live a half hour from it and I can see how bad it got. I think it has to do with people just not giving a ****. Most people there would rather rob and steal instead of working hard and getting what they need or want.

As someone who is near here, it is an issue close to my heart. I certainly hope to see a new mayor or someone who will care about the city instead of looking for ways to get money out of it. The school system is broke here. The communities are broken. We just gotta hope for the best.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,104 times
I dunno. Seems to me the problem was africanization. I've worked in unionized plants making military jets and not seen the "don't be workin' too hard or massa make us work harder" attitude at all.

This is the result of programs designed to pull cheaper african american workers to Detroit.

But African American culture being what it is, there's your result.

The perpetuation of that "400 years o' slavery" attitude leads to the "don't work to hard or you bees a fool" mentality.

Heck I stopped buying GM cars decades ago. The quality of products made by such undedicated workers speaks for itself. For that matter I don't even want a japanese or german branded vehicle made in placed like Alabama or South Carolina for the same reason.

It isn't unions per se that killed it. It was the attitude mentioned above. The demonizing of unions is misplaced. Without some counterbalance, pure capitalism would lead to a two class society. (As if that isn't happening now?) You don't believe that unchecked Wall Street Management would make for a good quality of life do you? The went overseas to get even cheaper labor when the Afro-Detroit experiment failed.

The answer is to create a workplace and pay scheme that rewards quality work. People need to feel they have great lives *because* of thier work, not in spite of it.

They also need a place to live without the problems that seem to be endemic to the demographic shifts that the car industry brought to the area of it's own accord.

All the most dangerous cities in the U.S. have large or majority black populations, with Detroit leading the pack. White flight happens for a reason. It's the only legally acceptable solution:

Rankings by Population Group

Most Dangerous 25:.......%AA Largest Segment?
1...Detroit, Mich.............81.6............Y
2...Atlanta, Ga...............61.4............Y
3...St. Louis, Mo.............51.2............Y
4...Flint, Mich.................53.3............Y
5...Camden, N.J..............53.3............Y
6...Gary, Ind..................84.0............Y
7...West Palm Beach, FL..36.2............N
8...Compton, Calif...........40.3............N
9...Tampa, FL................26.1.............N
10..Washington, D.C.......55.6.............Y
11..Jackson, Miss...........70.6.............Y
12..Newark, N.J.............53.5.............Y
13..Kansas City, MO.......31.2.............Y
14..Miami-Dade, FL........17.5..............N
15..New Orleans, La.......67.3..............Y
16..Memphis, Tenn.........61.4.............Y
17..Orlando, Fla.............26.9.............N
18..Dayton, OH..............43.1............N
19..Richmond, VA...........52.3............Y
20..Dallas, TX................23.2............N
21..Philadelphia, Pa.........43.2............Y
22..Youngstown, Ohio......43.8...........N
23..Cleveland, OH...........54.2............Y
24..Oakland, Calif...........35.7.............Y
25..Minneapolis, MN........18.0.............N

Old 01-11-2010, 04:22 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,723,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You are 100 percent spot on.

Anyways, people who say the UAW are responsible for this-get real. If the UAW is sooo terrible and so bad then why is Ford still doing good?

Chrysler was too small to survive against the UAW, they've been on the ropes for decades. GM was too big, and full of money for the UAW to ignore, they raped it for all it was worth. Ford is doing well, because they got the incentives (a little slack) from the UAW so they could survive, after the parasites at the UAW finally figured out they were in danger of killing themselves along with the last big host they had.

Third of all, Detroit is sad. I live a half hour from it and I can see how bad it got. I think it has to do with people just not giving a ****. Most people there would rather rob and steal instead of working hard and getting what they need or want.

I think you're right, but cant you see WHY? people dont give a ****? The unions set up the culture of rob and steal from your employer. Go punch in, and slack off, read a book, do the bare minimum, and enjoy your benefits, wages, and paid vacations. That was the the culture of entitlement that people came to expect, because of the unions. When the jobs, necessarily went away, the mindset continues, now they get their free cheese from the federal gubmint. Or their neighbor, whichever requires the least amount of work.....

As someone who is near here, it is an issue close to my heart. I certainly hope to see a new mayor or someone who will care about the city instead of looking for ways to get money out of it. The school system is broke here. The communities are broken. We just gotta hope for the best.

I grew up in Warren, right near the GM tech center. I sold real estate in the tri county area back in the '80's. I used to see the decay and the shame of those beautiful homes, with incredible craftsmanship, stripped, and gutted first hand. The brick was stolen off the sides of the houses to provide quality materials for houses being built out in northern suburbs at the time. The people of that city enabled, and aided and abetted the destruction of their own city, all to make a quick buck. Where was this lesson in greed learned?.........

Not singling out the UAW, they were the largest, but all of the unions ran the same game...get something for nothing, all you gotta do is pay your union dues, automatically deducted from your paycheck each week. And NO, you dont have a choice. The unions had a role to play, but they overstepped their boundaries, and they became the monster that they originally were created to fight. Like locusts, parasites upon the land, they converted everyone to same thought pattern, bully your way to "success", at any cost, including the future......

You HOPE to see a new mayor, or someone who will care? After fifty years they havent gotten it yet, and I doubt that any republican would even want to take a turn at this point. There's nothing left to save, only ever decreasing value, and avenues for the greedy to suck dry.

When it comes to partisan politics, I have no love for either of them. It's all the same, take what you can get, and run. But the bottom line with Detroit is the entire culture that grew up around the auto industry, came to be dominated by leftist ideals, and that is what ran it all into the ground. And even when the writing was on the wall, they kept driving it down, and now it has become blatently obvious(fifty years of democrat administration), and there are still those that will defend those actions, and policies of failure, even unto their own political, and financial death.

One wonders WHY? indeed..............

Yep, just keep hoping, it's working out well, huh

Yachtcare has spoken.......

Last edited by Compression; 01-11-2010 at 04:34 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 04:38 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,198,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Never said it was partisan I don't think it is. I think it is lack of respect and pride in ones own community as well as lack of respect for ones own things. I do not feel badly for people who trash their surroundings then complain about how they live in such crap. You made it that way so deal with it.
Those buildings aren't people's buildings. Most of the dilapidated buildings you see are dilapidated because there is no one there to maintain them at all. You see, Detroit used to be a rather large city, hence a large amount of buildings to accommodate a large population. When the city loses half its population, it goes without saying that half of its buildings are now going to be vacant. What do you think happens to vacant buildings? I'll give you a minute to ponder that query.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,083,793 times
Quote:

We will assume you have never been married or were/are in a bad marriage.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,083,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Those buildings aren't people's buildings. Most of the dilapidated buildings you see are dilapidated because there is no one there to maintain them at all. You see, Detroit used to be a rather large city, hence a large amount of buildings to accommodate a large population. When the city loses half its population, it goes without saying that half of its buildings are now going to be vacant. What do you think happens to vacant buildings? I'll give you a minute to ponder that query.

You need to take a trip to Detroit.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 AM

20,306 posts, read 19,899,417 times
Quote:
Who sold you on that idea?

Since you brought up marriage, I wonder how many Detroit children are born out of wedlock by neo-con parents?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
Please consider how much more money was made by financing the colonization of the suburbs instead of providing enough money to keep the center of Detroit an decent place to live. This is not new. Much of the damage done to NYC in the suburbanization of Long Island in the 1950's & 60's have been recovered and the financiers realized that they had run out of room in the suburbs and cheap housing was available in the Bronx.

PS - GM & Detroit were not killed by unions they were killed by inept management with a different adgenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies