U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 PM

10,183 posts, read 10,549,080 times

Advertisements

Man, if there's any video I've seen that visually portrays the decay in Detroit better than this one I can't begin to think of it. The journalist/reporter is humorous and entertaining, which is no small feat when you're reporting on a topic as depressing as Detroit's future, but he asks a very important question: could the rest of America end up looking like this desolate landscape because of government ineptitude?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hhJ_49leBw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 PM

19,216 posts, read 12,469,653 times
That city used to power the entire country.

What do we have today - Goldman Sachs?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:49 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,782,486 times
Detroit has been a cesspool for over 40 years, and people are now using it as an example of what supposedly America is going to become. Until people understand Detroit, its history and why it became they it is, I won't dignify the drama queens saying it's a small sample of what America's becoming.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 PM

10,183 posts, read 10,549,080 times
We're already starting to see this sort of decay in Cleveland. I'm sure others are following--I don't know if it's on the level of a Detroit. Just for the record, how DID the big D get this way? The reporter says 40 years of Democratic efforts to get Detroit and its inhabitants dependent on the government teat. True?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:33 PM

5,129 posts, read 4,633,311 times
I have to wonder why this residents of this city have allowed it to decay the way it did. Why they have/are not taking care of their houses? Why they vandalize their own city? Why they destroy buildings with graffiti? Why they trash where they live?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 PM

608 posts, read 791,577 times
Let's take a look at what our wonderful BIG federal government has done in regards to other major projects: The postal service. (going broke and known for being unproductive.) The U.S. department of Education. (the main reason private schools are doing so well) The U.S. Department of Corrections. (Need I say more) The Border Patrol. (What Patrol?) The current healthcare bill being pushed. (Bribery, extotion, media hype, lying to the U.S. public, most U.S. citizens don't support it.) Oh yes, this and much more is the reward that can be expected from supporting big government.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,037,701 times
Here is why Detroit is and has gone to hell.

The town is full of people like this.

Most decent people left Detroit a long time ago.

Listen to what the idiot says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKekTG1qvDg

People, without manufacturing jobs in America will we see more and more American towns like this.

Steel plants in Pa and Ohio are gone and all you have to do is drive around those towns to see them falling apart.

We need manufacturing jobs and not run by the government.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:48 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,782,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I have to wonder why this residents of this city have allowed it to decay the way it did. Why they have/are not taking care of their houses? Why they vandalize their own city? Why they destroy buildings with graffiti? Why they trash where they live?
Detroit's decay isn't a question of partisan, but rather white flight and deindustrialization worse than any city in America.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 PM

5,129 posts, read 4,633,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Detroit's decay isn't a question of partisan, but rather white flight and deindustrialization worse than any city in America.
Never said it was partisan I don't think it is. I think it is lack of respect and pride in ones own community as well as lack of respect for ones own things. I do not feel badly for people who trash their surroundings then complain about how they live in such crap. You made it that way so deal with it.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:54 PM

21,050 posts, read 15,244,790 times
There's already a thread on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies