Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:34 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - The House, eager to do something about record high gasoline prices in advance of the Memorial Day weekend, voted narrowly Wednesday to approve stiff penalties for those found guilty of gasoline price gouging.

The bill directs the Federal Trade Commission and Justice Department to go after oil companies, traders or retail operators if they take “unfair advantage” or charge “unconscionably excessive” prices for gasoline and other fuels.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18825910/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 06:37 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,435 times
Let me help you with the wording....

WASHINGTON - The House, eager to [I]make the appearence of doing[/i] something about record high gasoline prices in advance of the Memorial Day weekend, pandered to the uninformed masses when they voted narrowly Wednesday to approve stiff penalties for those found guilty of gasoline price gouging,although "gouging is not specifically defined in the bill.

You're welcome

Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
We've had increased petrol prices and gouging, two different issues. After and during Katrina, the Governor of Georgia put his foot down on gouging (petrol was over $4.00 then a gallon in many places in GA), and stations literally closed that received their supply from several refineries. I was in NC and couldn't go West or East because of the severe shortage of petrol and was forced to return North (so this is first-hand experience).

If gouging is at the core of the bill it is not pandering but appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Let me help you with the wording....

WASHINGTON - The House, eager to [I]make the appearence of doing[/i] something about record high gasoline prices in advance of the Memorial Day weekend, pandered to the uninformed masses when they voted narrowly Wednesday to approve stiff penalties for those found guilty of gasoline price gouging,although "gouging is not specifically defined in the bill.

You're welcome

Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Sounds like meaningless "feel good" legistlature. How do you define price-gouging? I have no sympathy for true price gougers (usually a local occurance as a result of a set of circumstances - shortages, natural disasters, periods of increased demand), but there are already local laws in place right? I don't define price gouging as a national average market rate of $3 a gallon, but as local issue such as one station open in an area after a hurricane that wants to raise prices to $10 a gallon to take advantage of him being the only station managing to get a supply of gas in the area.

I guess they can fine OPEC for price gouging.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:42 AM

Of course it is a "feel good" issue, but who is feeling good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Sounds like meaningless "feel good" legistlature. How do you define price-gouging? I have no sympathy for true price gougers (usually a local occurance as a result of a set of circumstances - shortages, natural disasters, periods of increased demand), but there are already local laws in place right? I don't define price gouging as a national average market rate of $3 a gallon, but as local issue such as one station open in an area after a hurricane that wants to raise prices to $10 a gallon to take advantage of him being the only station managing to get a supply of gas in the area.

I guess they can fine OPEC for price gouging.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,221 times
I'm not a fan of high gas prices either, but I think it's ridiculous for a free, capitalist country like ourselves to penalize a company for it's profits.

Show actual price gouging and we have a different matter.

http://www.conocophillips.com/NR/rdonlyres/D6FBF1A1-06A3-4EB9-8E37-5CFA495A32EF/0/ProfitsOilVsOtherIndust3rdQ2006.gif (broken link)

Old 05-25-2007, 06:51 AM

Very interesting table. Do you have any idea how it was compiled?

Certainly, the pharmaceutical industry makes a huge profit but electronics above oil did make me take a second and third look at the comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I'm not a fan of high gas prices either, but I think it's ridiculous for a free, capitalist country like ourselves to penalize a company for it's profits.

Show actual price gouging and we have a different matter.

http://www.conocophillips.com/NR/rdonlyres/D6FBF1A1-06A3-4EB9-8E37-5CFA495A32EF/0/ProfitsOilVsOtherIndust3rdQ2006.gif (broken link)

Old 05-25-2007, 09:24 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Very interesting table. Do you have any idea how it was compiled?

Certainly, the pharmaceutical industry makes a huge profit but electronics above oil did make me take a second and third look at the comparisons.
See the bottom... "Sources: American Petroleum Institute"

I'm sure these figures are dead-on.................

....from 1997.

The bottom line is, our supply has not diminished, and our population has not doubled in the last 3 years. So why is it that prices have? Market manipulation, period.

The American public on the whole is starting to remind me of the idiot who dies first in the cheesy horror movies. "There's a human hand in the tub, that's strange. I'd better clean that up before I go to bed"

~T

Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
The good news is they wont have to go far to find out where the gouging is taking place! http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/1139.html (broken link)

Old 05-25-2007, 10:10 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
See the bottom... "Sources: American Petroleum Institute"

I'm sure these figures are dead-on.................

....from 1997.

The bottom line is, our supply has not diminished, and our population has not doubled in the last 3 years. So why is it that prices have? Market manipulation, period.

The American public on the whole is starting to remind me of the idiot who dies first in the cheesy horror movies. "There's a human hand in the tub, that's strange. I'd better clean that up before I go to bed"

~T

it's not all about "us" anymore. China and India are going through population explosions and industrial revolutions that are almost unimaginable. THAT is where the demand has exploded. Every drop we in the US don't use is sold to other countries. China isn't quibbling about pump prices.

It's a big new world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies