Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times

Advertisements

I don't think that we have ever seen true communism.

This country will never see it. There is entirely too much greed. It is corporations that decide who lives and who dies and often, how and where. They decide what we eat, what are news sources are and who is elected. I just don't see that changing anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
And now for something realistic.........?
Tell the 10% for whom there is no job that there just won't be any food this month.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Tell the 20-million for whom there is no job until nanotechnology is up and running, that there just won't be any food this month. Because other people are hogging all that money for themselves.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
My father grew up in the Great Depression of the 1930's. One of the things in his life that he always felt made him a man was the Civilian Conservation Corps, the CCC. He was immensely proud of his service and contibutions in this organization. I was fortunate enough to attend a CCC reunion with him at that location where he spent a year when he was still only a teenager. I saw where he and the corps chopped wood, built roads, built incredible stone walls and fences, hand dug a water line around a lake which is now part of a state park.

Look carefully around some of state and national parks in this country and you will see the results of the labor of the CCC. They were paid, but much of their salary was automatically sent home to their families. (Can you imagine that being done today?). Many of these same locations need help in the repair of these stone walls, maintenance etc. today. It's not getting done due to lack of funding.

What this country needs is a plan to put people back to work directly without the middleman. No corporations getting the money to allegedly hire the people. No unions screaming it's taking jobs away from us. Direct hire to do the work actually hire for the work. This would be similar to a new version of the CCC and the WPA of the 1930's which did alleviate HUNGER by hiring people to work. Yes, it would cost money. Everything does. In the case of the young people, it would provide them necessary job skills to succeed in whatever they later may decide to do, but in the meantime they would be doing something.

One final point, at the CCC reunion I noticed that all of the now older men had gone on to have productive lives. There were a number of Cadillacs in the parking lot and were a number of retired professionals as well.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
I don't think that we have ever seen true communism.

This country will never see it. There is entirely too much greed. It is corporations that decide who lives and who dies and often, how and where. They decide what we eat, what are news sources are and who is elected. I just don't see that changing anytime soon.
And how would that be different with "true" communism?

All that would happen is that there would be even FEWER people in power, and FEWER people making decisions. There would inevitably be MORE corruption and a greater disparity between the rich and the poor.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Tell the 20-million for whom there is no job until nanotechnology is up and running, that there just won't be any food this month. Because other people are hogging all that money for themselves.

One a day, Jt.

Today ain't your day.

Tomorrow ain't looking so good either.

If you have a legitimate argument then say it. If your just going sit around, itchin' and trying to pull something out of your behind then make sure you start with your head. Your trying to get me to take a position that isn't my position at all.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
My father grew up in the Great Depression of the 1930's. One of the things in his life that he always felt made him a man was the Civilian Conservation Corps, the CCC. He was immensely proud of his service and contibutions in this organization. I was fortunate enough to attend a CCC reunion with him at that location where he spent a year when he was still only a teenager. I saw where he and the corps chopped wood, built roads, built incredible stone walls and fences, hand dug a water line around a lake which is now part of a state park.

Look carefully around some of state and national parks in this country and you will see the results of the labor of the CCC. They were paid, but much of their salary was automatically sent home to their families. (Can you imagine that being done today?). Many of these same locations need help in the repair of these stone walls, maintenance etc. today. It's not getting done due to lack of funding.

What this country needs is a plan to put people back to work directly without the middleman. No corporations getting the money to allegedly hire the people. No unions screaming it's taking jobs away from us. Direct hire to do the work actually hire for the work. This would be similar to a new version of the CCC and the WPA of the 1930's which did alleviate HUNGER by hiring people to work. Yes, it would cost money. Everything does. In the case of the young people, it would provide them necessary job skills to succeed in whatever they later may decide to do, but in the meantime they would be doing something.

One final point, at the CCC reunion I noticed that all of the now older men had gone on to have productive lives. There were a number of Cadillacs in the parking lot and were a number of retired professionals as well.
I agree as to the success of the CCC. But we're facing insurmountable obstacles in today's America, that would make implementation of something similar virtually impossible.

1. Too many people have - over multiple generations - been paid NOT to work. The would start screaming holy hell if they were suddenly expected to work for the money they have (for decades) been getting for doing nothing.
- We have people who not only don't know how to work, they don't want to work. And they would simply refuse to do so.
- If said people, who don't want to work, had their welfare checks stopped, the overwhelming majority of them would sue the government - and this would cost hundreds of millions of taxpayer money.

2. Our government is so massive and inefficient that it would cost $10 for every $1 of work that got done.

It's a nice idea, but I honestly don't see it happning.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:33 PM

18 posts, read 36,147 times
The economic stimulous should be divided up and sent to the poor. Then when these poor spend that money they would buy up some of that extra inventory which would create more jobs or better yet get some dentil work or other health repairs and such. After that these poor would come up with the new ideas to bring us into the next economy.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Obama promised us 5 million "green" jobs. That's 25% of the number you're citing - and there should supposedly be a positive trickle-down effect.

So where are those new "green" jobs?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:40 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I think Freds idea is realistic.

Quote:
I don't suppose it's even rational to imagine us getting out of NAFTA and bringing back the jobs we were so quick to ship out of the country.
We are still losing good jobs in my area to companies moving over the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies