Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the main reason you would marry someone?
Companionship 66 44.59%
Financial security 10 6.76%
Physical attraction 3 2.03%
Romance 8 5.41%
To have children 21 14.19%
Other 40 27.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They get married for many reasons: companionship, physical attraction, financial protection, to make a commitment. . . . Many even get married, and stay married, because of love.

Prop. 8 backers' procreation argument doesn't ring true - latimes.com
I didn't vote because I didn't see my choice there:

To reap the legal benefits.

All the things on the list of choices occur just as easily without marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 02:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Unless the women were marrying each other, the point falls flat. I'm well aware of the existence of polygamy in some cultures.... Talk to me when you find the culture that had a polygamist relationship with 4 men all married to each other.
The point is that there is a long history of same-sex unions around the world.

History of same-sex unions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post

That's why I included an option that says "Other".

Old 01-14-2010, 02:32 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post

All the things on the list of choices occur just as easily without marriage.
Pretty much how I feel.

A relationship is to foster love and companionship (and hopefully lots of physical attraction and interaction ).

A marriage is a legal contract with privileges, rights, and responsibilities for a couple (who are hopefully) in a long term relationship.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
My point was that in legal terms of marriage "love" has nothing to do with it and can in no way be quantified. So for gays to try to claim they should be allowed to marry because their "love" is the same as a hetero couple's doesn't work as far as I'm concerned.
Opposite-sex couples can marry for just about any reason they want, including "love".

What your side has to prove is that allowing same-sex marriage will somehow harm society or provide no social benefit. So far, the lawyer representing your view is having a tough time doing that:

The lawyer, Charles J. Cooper, has studied the matter deeply, and his erudite briefs are steeped in history. He cannot have been blindsided by the question Judge Vaughn R. Walker asked him: What would be the harm of permitting gay men and lesbians to marry?

“Your honor, my answer is: I don’t know,” Mr. Cooper said. “I don’t know.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/27/us/27bar.html

Old 01-14-2010, 02:38 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Big dowry?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is one area where I don't envy heterosexuals. For gay guys, there's a lot less pressure to be in a relationship. I think a lot of straight guys get married just because society expects them to, and they see the majority of their friends and family in married relationships, which then makes then feel strange or highlights feelings of loneliness if they're not married or in a long-term relationship.

Just an observation.
I can see that. I don't envy straight guys on that one either. Now that I"m in the DC area there's just no need to settle down. When I was in a smaller city if you found a nice boy you better grab him and stake your claim. Now there's no rush like the song says boys are like buses miss one next 15 another's one coming. Maybe that idea is better all around. No pressure to get married just marry when you feel like it versus because society tells you to. Of course some argue that people wait too long to get married as it is, particularly in career obsessed cities like DC which has the lowest marriage rate in the country. Then again DC is on its way to getting gay marriage which is ironic in a place that puts more value on career than family it seems.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:12 AM

236 posts, read 237,051 times
Rhett_Butler said, "My point was that in legal terms of marriage "love" has nothing to do with it and can in no way be quantified. So for gays to try to claim they should be allowed to marry because their "love" is the same as a hetero couple's doesn't work as far as I'm concerned."

Lol, stay away from Canada, then. Let's lok at some figures, shall we? In Canada, gay marriage has been in effect for about 6 years . In that time there have been over 10,000 marriages. In that that time the number of divorces among gays have been......................2.

-Doug of thosemeninlove

As for love, I would die if necessary, for Bill and he I.

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

In this case each other; we are each others' best friend as well as true love. We celebrated being together (monogamous) for 20 years this last December.

...anything you'd like to know Rhett? We'll be happy to answer.

kindly, -Doug of thosemeninlove

Old 01-30-2010, 01:04 PM

236 posts, read 237,051 times
...scuse typos - still getting familiar with the site and edit functions. D'oh!

Old 01-30-2010, 01:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
The only benefits to being married are financial. All the rest of the things listed can be had without being married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies