Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Less Likely To Be Forum Friends With Or Give Reputation Points To A Gay Poster?
YES! 9 6.77%
NO! 66 49.62%
SOMETIMES! 0 0%
NO OPINION! 3 2.26%
DOESN'T MATTER! 55 41.35%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Pretty much self explanatory. Most posters at City-Data are respectful and basically nice. However I have had a very few harass me and lost a few forum friends, when they found out I was GAY.

I have started this thread with a poll that will NOT BE PUBLIC. NOONE will know how you voted unless you mention it in a reply. I am really curious and want only HONEST replies; hence the non-public poll.

I do NOT want to have anyone's feelings hurt, nor anyone harassed and this includes myself. Remember that your emotions are sensed by posters by what you type....all of us (me included) have emotions here, so put yourself in the other person's shoes before you post. PEACE
I don't care. Heck, I even support gay marriage.
The majority of intolerance on see on this forum is directed against non-protected classes. We have a few racists and homophobes lurking around to be sure....but we sadly we have a whole bunch of people here that malign groups like Christians, whites etc. who justify their hatred with the same commentary you hear from skinheads. (Go check out some of the comments in the Pat Robertson thread)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Pretty much self explanatory. Most posters at City-Data are respectful and basically nice. However I have had a very few harass me and lost a few forum friends, when they found out I was GAY.

I have started this thread with a poll that will NOT BE PUBLIC. NOONE will know how you voted unless you mention it in a reply. I am really curious and want only HONEST replies; hence the non-public poll.

I do NOT want to have anyone's feelings hurt, nor anyone harassed and this includes myself. Remember that your emotions are sensed by posters by what you type....all of us (me included) have emotions here, so put yourself in the other person's shoes before you post. PEACE
Having been a member of the forum for just short of a year, I'd like to think my giving rep points to anyone depends more on what they are saying and the way they say it than whether or not I consider them a friend. And whether or not I consider them a friend depends mostly on just how often I do agree with what they say. There are very few with whom I agree 100% of the time, just as there are few that I disagree with 100% of the time. And whether or not someone is gay makes no difference whatsoever. I've disagreed on various issues with many here whom I consider friends. (Not sure, but I think there was even a time or two when I disagreed with you!) And I agreed and gave rep points just this morning to someone with whom I usually disagree.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:00 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
How would I know if someone was gay? I don't keep a record

Old 01-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
OMG, you're GAY??? Oh nooooooooes!

Anyone who cares is a dumbass.
Wanted to rep you, but apparently I have too recently. So take these instead:

Old 01-15-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
It is because they do not like who you are. Most heterosexuals are that way.
This heterosexual female takes great umbrage with that remark. In my experience, most heterosexuals really don't care 'who you are' any more than they care what color underwear you happen to be wearing on any given day. What we care about is how you treat others; whether your home is 'an asset' to the community or an eyesore; they might be interested in what your political leanings are, or they might not care. Please do everyone a favor and drop the 'most <whatevers> are that way' line because over my nearly sixty years of life I have found it more times than not to be untrue.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,650 times
It would make no difference to me at all whether that poster was gay/straight - if I think some has submitted an exceptionally good post on any thread I'll rep them.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
I am not sure, however, that straight people really do understand or are capable of really understanding.
As a straight female who has spent the last ten years on various internet forums, beginning with AOL in 1998, arguing FOR equality, please tell me what exactly it is that you think I'm 'incapable' of understanding.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:32 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
I'm straight most of the time but I'm gay on Tuesdays. I should see if I get fewer rep points on Tuesdays.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
I give rep point based on how much I like the post, not based on a poster's private activity in the bedroom.

A good idea is a good idea no matter where it came from; a bad idea is a bad idea no matter where it came from.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
King James liked Texans?

Edit: I really need to stop making bad jokes,
Oh, please don't stop. Even the bad ones make me laugh. And we all need to laugh from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies