Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,074,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
What about the dead bodies of our enemies? They don't hardly show that either.

more fodder for our enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,292,757 times
It's thought to be demoralizing for us to show our dead soldiers and the coffins coming home. During the Vietnam war we did show them on TV and when the more recent wars came along the administration in power forbid cameras being around when the coffins come home.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,771,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I think if the news showed dead bodies more often, we would benefit as a society. Most of us can use some sobering of thought, and seeing real dead bodies definitely brings a sense of sobriety and realism along with the images (or at least it does to me).
I just watched some footage from Haiti that'll stay with me for awhile. It puts things in perspective. Like that we, as a nation, need to stop bickering so much. There's plenty to agree on.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:45 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,074,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I don't recall any of the US news networks showing many bodies after Katrina. A few photos in news magazines but nothing off the top of my head was shown on TV.

Showing the dead bodies in Haiti will probably encourage more people to donate. Showing dead bodies in Katrina would result in a flurry of lawsuits.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 PM

5,469 posts, read 12,218,195 times
I think the sight of dead bodies stirs up emotion and more visceral reactions and tempers. It's easier to direct that emotion at a geological fault, whereby really no one is at fault, than it is at a nation's political or foreign policy, where the obvious debates and attacks are a result.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,771,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I can see that.

But should we, as a people, not know what we have done? Aren't we too sanitized from what war really is: killing other humans?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:48 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Evidently too much reality of any kind is "fodder for our enemies".

What that says about us and our cause is questionable.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:51 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,886,109 times
that was a very interesting and sad story. i could care less what gates thinks and while i agree with the statement that "We believe it is important for all of us to understand that behind the numbers are real men and women, sometimes making the ultimate sacrifice, for us", the fact that the man's family had asked that the pictures not be published SHOULD HAVE BEEN RESPECTED.

that family has already lost too much.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:54 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,144,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I think if the news showed dead bodies more often, we would benefit as a society. Most of us can use some sobering of thought, and seeing real dead bodies definitely brings a sense of sobriety and realism along with the images (or at least it does to me). In our pride and illusion, we often forget that we will all look like that one day.
I've thought the same thing about obituaries; a little OT, but it would show people what idiotic actions result in.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,618,597 times
I understand the need to show the destruction as it is (and by the same measure, the destruction of war as it is) but I always feel for the families. How would any of us like to see our dead son/daughter/father/mother/spouse forever immortalized on film?

I remember a story about the woman who lost her toddler daughter in the Oklahoma City bombing. A photo was taken of a rescue worker carrying the limp dead body of the baby out of the wreckage -- I'm sure you all can remember what I am talking about. She said it was devasting then and devasting now. A few years ago she had to go to court to block someone from producing little statues of the image for sale. Can you imagine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies