Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It's not volunteer when you're threatened with fines and jail time if you don't 'volunteer".

And as we've seen, what the president wants is not what happens (thank goodness). They might encourage a certain plan, but it's congress that writes and votes on the bill. And with a Republican president and a Democratic congress, we wouldn't be getting screwed by the big giant circle j**k that we've got now.
For the past 8 years, when you were drooling on yourself listening to Sean Hannity and George W. Bush was President is when we were all getting screwed.

And still are. The neocons are the gift that keeps on giving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:05 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Thats a prime example of union busting. Two sets of wages and benefits. A key weapon in the rightwing's arsenal to destroy the middle class. And all those on any better or less expensive plan (which usually sucks in the first place) are the lesser, in numbers, of the two groups getting coverage

I've expereinced it firsthand.

It's also a key reason that large companies, such as Boeing, are fleeing to states that aren't being held hostage by union thuggery.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:10 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
For the past 8 years, when you were drooling on yourself listening to Sean Hannity and George W. Bush was President is when we were all getting screwed.

And still are. The neocons are the gift that keeps on giving.
If you cared to read what I had written, instead of instantly shrieking "hannity!" "bush!" you would have seen that congress makes law. And things started to go to hell when they got into power.

Ironically, they got into power by promising to fight "business as usual". Which is working out about as well as the "more transparency, no lobbyists, no tax increase" promise is.

Bush is not blameless. He was a disaster, particularly at the end. And in spite of the fact that you think you know me, I did criticize him a LOT. And I don't listen to Hannity.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It's also a key reason that large companies, such as Boeing, are fleeing to states that aren't being held hostage by union thuggery.

Is it a coincidence, then, that corporations are concentrating wealth upward at the expense of their workforce? Or perhaps even the complete destruction of its workforce, such as eliminating it and hiring overrseas?

What gets me is the moniker "Cadillac health plan" and "union" together, like union workers can even ATTAIN something like that.

I will, however, tell you who DOES have such a thing, and that is upper management, the ones who are not worried about paying their deductible.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,040 times
Has anyone seen any public outrage building on this issue?

Has anyone contacted their Senator or Congressman to oppose the 'Cadillac' tax on only non-union members?

You can find and write your US Congressman at:

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

You can find and write your US Senator at:

U.S. Senate: Senators Home

Old 01-16-2010, 10:21 AM

Thank you for the links, but both of my Senators have done fine work on this bill. I'm one of the lucky ones. My congressman, however, is a complete fool and the face of the "new" Republican Party. I already got the address, thanks.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the links, but both of my Senators have done fine work on this bill. I'm one of the lucky ones. My congressman, however, is a complete fool and the face of the "new" Republican Party. I already got the address, thanks.
I sincerely doubt you will be 'lucky' when the union excemption is challenged in the courts. From what I've heard - there is no way it will pass Constitutional muster.

How will you feel then? Lucky?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 AM

You know - the more smug comments I see posted by union members on this issue - the more I am starting to question my support for unions.

Why should I continue to support people who spit in my face?

Don't think I will...

Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
I sincerely doubt you will be 'lucky' when the union excemption is challenged in the courts. From what I've heard - there is no way it will pass Constitutional muster.

How will you feel then? Lucky?

I really dont understand what you're saying. I'm sure it makes sense to someone.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Weren't you implying that you're a union member by your reference to being 'lucky'?

If so, I was just pointing out that you may not be that lucky when the excemption is thrown out by the courts and union members are also subject to the tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies