Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 02:42 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times

Advertisements

I forgot the Bahamas, Barbados, Antigua, and Saint Kitts and Nevis,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 02:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I brought up a point about our general ignorance of pre colonial africa. I have yet to hear anyone fill in that blank. Are the black posters in this thread equally ignorant of African history predating European influence? I'm not saying this to blame anyone for failing to know. It wasn't in my school textbooks growing up. Was it in yours? Don't you think it ought to be?
Could you explain your point a little more please.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:51 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Haiti may be poor, but they're very polite during this time of chaos.
Except for the mauading gangs with the machetes. I think they will have some unfortunate violent acts as they become more and more desperate. Sad

Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Botswana, Bermuda, Gabon, Seychelles, Ile Maurice, and Namibia are peaceful, orderly countries that are predominately black. South Africa is a relatively rich nation, but has more stability issues than the other countries. All in all, these are good nations.
Truth is, South Africa's relative prosperity is existing from the residual capital left over. It is rapidly progressing toward being a third world county. If it isn't already...

Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
African countries also do receive money from the US.
And so does Israel; we even fight wars for them, so what's your point?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:00 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
And so does Israel; we even fight wars for them, so what's your point?
I didn't have a point. He just had said that the countries I named received money from the US. And that was my response.
Maybe we should ramp up our aid to them? Who knows. Would be better than fighting wars, wouldn't it.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:25 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
True, there are differences between races but the book you are referring to was written by an author who was biased towards promoting superior European views.

Also, if you think dropping bombs on whole nations like Japan, throwing people in jail for smoking/selling plants, or dumping medical/toxic waste into the ocean is "civilized", then I have news for you: YOU'RE CRAZY!!!!!!
You are correct, there are problems with being civilized. I was referring more to physical and intellectual differences.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:43 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Truth is, South Africa's relative prosperity is existing from the residual capital left over. It is rapidly progressing toward being a third world county. If it isn't already...
This is actually not true at all. The South African economy, prior to the economic downturn, was RAPIDLY rising. The gov't was running on a hefty surplus as well (more so than under apartheid).

Old 01-16-2010, 04:53 PM

246 posts, read 421,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
This is actually not true at all. The South African economy, prior to the economic downturn, was RAPIDLY rising. The gov't was running on a hefty surplus as well (more so than under apartheid).
Under apartheid, SA was under all sorts of sanctions by first world countries, so your example does not equate. SA and other African countries get enormous amounts of aid and yet still most can not seem to govern effectively. SA is a bit better, but then again, it hasn't quite embraced the naked racism of its African neighbors.

A better case study is Zimbabwe.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
Under apartheid, SA was under all sorts of sanctions by first world countries, so your example does not equate. SA and other African countries get enormous amounts of aid and yet still most can not seem to govern effectively. SA is a bit better, but then again, it hasn't quite embraced the naked racism of its African neighbors.
A better case study is Zimbabwe.
Well South Africa has the worlds highest number of Aids cases in the world. The goverment there is responsible for this. It could have done much more to prevent the unacceptable growing number of people with Aids.

Anyway the African National congress promoted people that were incompetant for the job and an example is Manto Tshabalala-Msimang. She was South Africa minister of health.

She was appointed health minister in 1999 and was to remain in office, despite repeated scandals, for nine years. At first welcomed as a well-qualified minister, she quickly lost the faith of the health sector by reducing the health services to a shambles.

Under her leadership, life expectancy in South Africa fell to 49 years, thanks to Aids-related fatalities which – with 4.2 million infected by the virus – saw deaths nearly double between 1999 and 2005. The fury of Aids activists was compounded by her refusal to allow nevirapine to be administered to pregnant woman, although research proved it effective in preventing the transmission of the virus.

A disaster on strategic planning, Tshabalala-Msimang turned to her lifelong mentor, President Mbeki, and a never-ending procession of medical advisers abroad, whose views on treating HIV and Aids chimed with her own.

Feeble attempts were made to defend the government's position on Aids, with such arguments as the inability of South Africa to afford anti-retroviral drugs. But the lie was given to that in 2002, when Tshabalala-Msimang blocked US funding to assist in the distribution of anti-retrovirals in her homeland, KwaZulu-Natal. She owed her political survival to Mbeki, and only after his fall last year did she leave office.

Manto Tshabalala-Msimang obituary | World news | The Guardian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies